Options

My cat is poorly, I am getting worried :(

Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Over the last couple of days, our cat hasn't been herself.

I noticed on Friday that she hadn't really eaten her food, I thought I would see what happens over 24 hours, but she then she didn't improve.

We were out yesterday for my sons birthday and today she had slept the whole day, again hasn't touched her food.

I did try this morning, by bringing her food to her but she didn't want anything. When I have stroked her, she doesn't seem to complain, but her normal non stop purring has stopped, and her fur is malting more than normal.

We are going to call the vets in the morning for her to be seen, and I know no one on here can say what is wrong, but do these symptoms sound serious?

Thanks, any advice would be great as we haven't seen her like this before.

Comments

• Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be very concerned if my cat was not eating, sleeping, not purring and had matted fur. Or do you mean she is moulting? She needs to see a vet. It could be that she is grooming herself and if she's moulting (mine are) she may have a blockage. Or it may be something completely different.

You say she's not eating - is she drinking, peeing or pooping?

How old is she?

But anyway: vet, if not tonight then first thing in the morning, please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. No she doesn't have matted fur, it just is molting a bit more than usual. She is five years old.

We carried her downstairs to her food, but she didn't eat much at all and had a few sips of water. She has now gone back to sleep, and I keep checking on her. Her breathing seems fine and her eyes aren't dark, in fact when she is awake she looks alert.

She went outside this morning for five minutes then came back in so can only assume she went to the toilet then, however we have put her tray in the kitchen for her.

I just hoping nothing too serious.
  • Options
    rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes its very hard to say but just get her to the vets as soon as possible. Cats are not like people and if they have not eaten in 24 hours you need to get to the vets. You can try and encourage her to eat by warming some food gently mixed with some water and see of she will drink it or lick from your fingers. It's important she is getting some liquid and some protein in her. If you have a syringe you can try gently try letting her lick from it (food water solution) if you put it near her mouth but do not squirt it in her mouth as that can cause problems.

Your best case from my experience is that she might have infection of some sort but hard to say for sure. Best of luck.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    She could have a tummy ache. She could be poisoned. Too many variables. The vets is the best before she becomes too dehydrated.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be very worried indeed; how is she now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We carried her downstairs and she sat on the sofa had some water and small amount of food. She sat for a couple of mins got down from sofa and now she is looking sleepy again. I know there could be so many things it could be, I am just praying its nothing too serious. We dont normally allow her to sleep on beds but last night and tonight I think I just want to know she is ok.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat went off her food when she was 10 months old. Took her to the vets after a stressful weekend, turned out she had an infection in her intestines. She had to stay in the vets overnight on medication, but she thankfully got better again with no long term effects.

Fingers crossed she's ok. Are you able to syringe some water into her mouth, just to keep her hydrated till the morning.
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    My cat was ill and off his food a few weeks ago. When he vomited and then had not eaten for 24 hours I brought him to the vet where they ran some bloods which showed he was mildly dehydrated. The vet gave him an anti-emetic and let me take him home but I brought him back next day when he was still listless and not eating. He was kept in for 3 days on a drip and put through a series of tests, all have proved inconclusive. He's a lot better now but all his repeat bloods have shown increasingly worse renal failure for which he's now on medication. Hopefully, there's still some reversibility for this renal failure as it's early stages and seems to have been caused by an acute condition.

The vets don't know why my cat was sick but they did support and rehydrate him through his worse period. Poisoning was considered but discounted as he would have been a lot sicker. It was probably just a bug. Reassuringly, tests proved there were no immediate life threatening conditions such as tumours, lung or cardiac problems and he tested negative for FIV. It was a worrying time for me as my late Tabitha presented with similar symptoms, a few years ago, and it turned out she had cancer.

I know that you need to worry when cats don't eat for more than about 24 hours. Apart from dehydration there are also effects on the liver from not eating which can be serious. It's probably an infection of some sort which can be treated with antibiotics and IV fluid therapy if the cat is dehydrated.

Nowadays, when any of my cats appear ill, I just take them straight to the vets. I may do a google search but the results can be alarming and worrying. I prevaricated with my Tabitha for a couple of weeks as she didn't appear that ill at the time and I have always regretted not recognising how ill she actually was (although it would have made minimal difference to the eventual outcome).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your comments.

She slept with us last night, and when we got up, she followed us downstairs which is what she used to do and hadn't done for a few days. She has eaten ( very small) and drank some water but still not right.

Phoning the vets soon to take her in, hoping that perhaps it's something to do with her teeth or gums as there has been no sickness or diarrhoea. I
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any news Sally?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, sorry for not updating sooner but have been at work.

Hubby took her to the vets at 10. They couldn't find anything obvious, they kept her in to do blood tests. They then called at lunch to say bloods were all ok, however they wanted to keep her in overnight and give her an appetite stimulants as it was obvious to see she had lost some weight. Luckily she wasn't really dehydrated. So pleased nothing serious. Thanks again for all your concerns.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope she will be OK. X
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fingers crossed for her x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again. Seems unusual her not here tonight, even the children (who are normally preoccupied with friends) say the house doesn't feel right!

Hope she is home tomorrow and isn't cross with us for leaving her at the vets!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, fingers crossed she'll be okay. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went to pick her up today! They found crystals and bacteria in her urine, so she is now on antibiotics and painkillers and have also changed her Royal Cannin biscuits to a type to help with infections. Going back in 3 weeks for a check up. Not sure what caused it, could be because we live in a hard water area and her body doesn't like it, could be her diet, but unlikely as we give her royal Cannin which isn't on the list ( apparently)

She is home and eating lots so fingers crossed she is over the worst of it. Thanks again for everyone support and messages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sally77 wrote: »
    We went to pick her up today! They found crystals and bacteria in her urine, so she is now on antibiotics and painkillers and have also changed her Royal Cannin biscuits to a type to help with infections. Going back in 3 weeks for a check up. Not sure what caused it, could be because we live in a hard water area and her body doesn't like it, could be her diet, but unlikely as we give her royal Cannin which isn't on the list ( apparently)

She is home and eating lots so fingers crossed she is over the worst of it. Thanks again for everyone support and messages.

Glad to hear you have a diagnosis & treatment plan. & That she's eating :D

Some cats are just prone to crystals & UTIs . Fingers crossed the food stops any re-occurrence but at least you know the signs now.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I've read that a quarter teaspoon of apple cider vinegar can help with cat UTIs.

http://www.vetinfo.com/effective-apple-cider-vinegar-acv-feline-uti-treatment.html

I tried it on my cat once when I suspected he had a UTI, (he was meowing a lot when in the litter tray but it turned out it wasn't a UTI just a bit of constipation).

Works on humans too. Tastes great on chips

Also I bought a distiller unit so their drinking water isn't nasty hard tap water.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    I've read that a quarter teaspoon of apple cider vinegar can help with cat UTIs.

http://www.vetinfo.com/effective-apple-cider-vinegar-acv-feline-uti-treatment.html

I tried it on my cat once when I suspected he had a UTI, (he was meowing a lot when in the litter tray but it turned out it wasn't a UTI just a bit of constipation).

Works on humans too. Tastes great on chips

Also I bought a distiller unit so their drinking water isn't nasty hard tap water.

Apple cider vinegar is also essential when cooking proper Cuban black beans:D