Options

Best super-duper deep conditioner or actually hair care range come to think of it

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
Forum Member
Hi, just wondering if anyone can recommend some REALLY good hair care stuff.

I have very dry fragile wavy hair that will never behave and even when I've tried products that made it feel really healthy, shiny and soft etc, it always still looks really unhealthy:(. In terms of "type" or texture, hairdressers always describe it as fine hair but I have lots of it.

After trying all the usual high street/supermaket suspects ( Aussie, Dove, Elvive etc) I splashed out on some Kerastase deep conditioner. It smelt divine and initially made my hair feel stronger, softer and generally more healthy but then I went to a different hairdresser and she said it's just full of silicone and won't help the condition in the long term, basically it just makes it feel nice but doesn't actually penetrate the hair shaft to repair it.

Anyway, sorry to have rambled on abit:D. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard some very very good things about the WEN hair care system. People are raving about this over in the states, and it's just been brought out over here, http://wenhaircare.co.uk. They are doing a promotion at the moment to encourage people to try it - I may give it a go.

What I'm using at the moment is Aveda Dry Remedy, intense conditioner and Redken Butter treat. Both leave the hair very moisturised and soft. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thankyou Luxxy, I'll look both of those up:)
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joico K-Pak products are fantastic for dry hair. It was recommended to me when I, like yourself, changed hairdressers and they told me that the products I was using was just coating my hair in silicone and was in fact doing it long term damage.

Honestly, I've been using K-Pak for about 3 years now, and I think my hair looks better than it has ever done.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try Coconut oil or Rosemary essential oil. Or try making your own home made mixture. The stuff you get from the high street is full of chemicals that can't be too good for your hair.
  • Options
    LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Joico K-Pak products are fantastic for dry hair. It was recommended to me when I, like yourself, changed hairdressers and they told me that the products I was using was just coating my hair in silicone and was in fact doing it long term damage.

Honestly, I've been using K-Pak for about 3 years now, and I think my hair looks better than it has ever done.

I've heard a lot about these, I want to try it badly, but I'm such a product junkie - I've got loooads of shampoos and conditioners (mainly conditioners) that I have to use up first. :o

Cones are not so bad for my hair personally, as long as I use a clarify shampoo I'm okay. I've cut out sulphates as much as I can in my shampoos too as these are so drying. I use either the Aveda Dry Remedy or a natural shampoo bar that I have.

I agree with what GetMeOuttaHere is saying about using your own stuff. I use a lot of oils (in my conditioners) which really help to condition and soften the hair. My staples are:-

Coconut oil
    Organic Sapote oil
    Meadowfoam Seed oil
    Castor oil
    Jojoba oil
    Strawberry seed oil
    Watermelon oil

I don't use them all at once, I just add a few drops of my prefered oil to my conditioner.

Mowrah butter and murumuru butter are natural and have wonderful conditioning properties for the hair - that's if your interested in experimenting in the natural route. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I used Herbal Essences for a while, then went to loads of different brands, and tried them back, and eventually wernt back to Herbal Essences. You scents are just TO DIE FOR :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice/ideas everyone:)

*scuttles off to research*
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DirtyGerty wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice/ideas everyone:)

*scuttles off to research*

I don't know what price you're used to paying, but Joico might seem a bit expensive - about £12 each for the shampoo and conditioner. However, you honestly only need to use them sparingly. They last me for months and I wash my hair every morning.
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Aveda. The whole range.

I would never use anything else, particularly any high street nonsense like Pantene.

Yes, I am a hair snob :D
  • Options
    SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Lavera" organic and natural shampoos and conditioners. :)