Rugby League 2015

tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
Forum Member
Time to get this thread up and running ,

A new season and big changes which will make for a very interesting season , SL looks really close and there are a few teams which will fancy their chances of winning the grand final , as well as a few who wont want to finish in the bottom four and end up in the middle 8,s and have to play off against the championship sides

For the championship sides this gives them a chance to gain promotion to SL , the battle is on to finish in the top four and get the chance to play off for a shot at SL

Championship one sides will battle it out as two sides will be relegated from the championship and two promoted

My team Leigh are very ambitious and are going full out this season , Fuifui mania has griped the town and the team have been away in Lanzaorte training hard , Bradford and London look strong and i cant wait till we meet Bradford on the opening day of the season, we play our first friendly against wigan on sunday and expect a good crowd and a good game

Comments

• tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Draw for the first round of challenge cup

Loughborough University v Hunslet Warriors

Oulton Raiders v Scarborough Pirates

Normanton Knights v Myton Warriors

Royal Navy v Saddleworth Rangers

East Leeds v Kells

Great Britain Police v Rochdale Mayfield

The Army v Wath Brow

Egremont Rangers v Wigan St Judes

Nottingham Outlaws v Blackbrook

Widnes West Bank v South West London Chargers

Shaw Cross Sharks v York Acorn

Royal Air Force v Siddal

Valley Cougars v Leicester Storm

Hull Dockers v Leigh Miners Rangers

Elland v Leeds Beckett University

Featherstone Lions v Queens

Lock Lane v Sharlston Rovers

Walney Central v Hunslet Parkside

Skirlaugh v Aberdeen Warriors

West Hull v Thatto Heath

Ties to be played on the weekend of January 31 - February 1.
    Forum Member
    The new format of the Challenge Cup is causing an early fixture headache for Super League clubs.

Last season’s bottom four current top flight teams - Hull KR, Hull FC, Salford and Wakefield - enter the 2015 Challenge Cup at the fifth round stage, with the other eight joining the following round.

The fifth round games are scheduled to be played on April 18-19, but a full round of Super League fixtures has also been organised for the same dates.

Initially, the fifth round had been scheduled for April 11-12, but was then put back a week.

The change now means that the four teams involved in the Challenge Cup that weekend play each other in Super League on the affected weekend - Hull KR v Salford and Wakefield v Hull.

Two of the games that would have been affected the previous week in Round 10 have been selected for Sky Sports coverage - Hull v Widnes on April 10, and Castleford v Hull KR on April 11.

It’s unclear yet as to whether Challenge Cup fifth round games will be able to be moved.

The sixth round of the Challenge Cup takes place four weeks after the fifth round.

Clubs trying to re-arrange their Super League fixtures have already hit opposition. It is believed Salford and Hull KR wanted to play their game on the weekend of the World Club Series in February, but were denied permission to do so.
    Forum Member
    This is not good and not Leighs fault Wigan council charge extortionate rent to leigh , and leigh east next door

Wigan St Patrick’s have revealed they made just £63 from a Challenge Cup tie against professional opposition last season after explaining why they weren’t in the first round draw for 2015.

The National Conference League side were missing from the 40-strong line-up for the draw, which took place at Wembley Stadium last week featuring the branding of new competition sponsors Ladbrokes.

Last season, St Pat’s landed the carrot of professional opposition in the shape of Leigh Centurions, something which would have traditionally been seen as a money spinner for any community club.

However, that wasn’t the case.

A club spokesperson said: "For those that remember last year, we drew a home game against Leigh Centurians. Unfortunately due to the rules of the game we were unable to hold this fixture at home, which would have been fantastic for the club and town.

"After a frantic search for an alternative venue in Wigan, we were forced to use the Leigh Sports Village. Due to the ridiculous costs involved, which we had cover and share the profit with the Centurians, we made a total of £63.

"Though there have been discussions regarding securing solutions for Amateur Clubs who see themselves in similar situations in the future, there has been nothing put in writing.

"Both the Management Committee and the Open Age Coaching Staff, therefore felt it was not in the players or clubs interest to enter the competition this year.

"We instead have a number of home friendlies that will support revenue being brought into the club.

"We wish all our fellow Amateur Clubs who are competing in the Challenge Cup the very best of luck.”

St Pat’s were beaten 74-6 by Leigh in the third round, and the Centurions went on to beaten by eventual winners Leeds later on in the competition.
    Forum Member
    Great to see Natalie Quirk interviewing fuifui moimoi on BT tonight
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else looking forward to this new format for the World Club Challenge?

I think the matches should be good to watch.
    Forum Member

Yes be good to see 3 games
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes as long as the 2 Australian sides treat it seriously and not as pre-season games. I am worried they will treat it as warm up for the NRL due to the results not meaning anything.

I am going to St Helens v Souths which should be a cracker.
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »

I am going to St Helens v Souths which should be a cracker.

I will be at Halifax see how Dane Manning copes with Fuifui
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Yes as long as the 2 Australian sides treat it seriously and not as pre-season games. I am worried they will treat it as warm up for the NRL due to the results not meaning anything.

Surely pride will come into play, they will not want to get beat by a "Pommie" team?
    So at the very least they will want to put on a good display in their own back yard, or that is how I am thinking about it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely pride will come into play, they will not want to get beat by a "Pommie" team?
    So at the very least they will want to put on a good display in their own back yard, or that is how I am thinking about it!

Not really. Sides have come over before the WCC trophy and treated it more as a warmup. Its difficult I guess as the NRL sides a month behind the SL sides in preparation so not as much up to speed hence mentally players could see it as friendlies. Once we have a tournament where every game means something it will help.
    Forum Member
    Good to see Wigan are putting a strong team out against Leigh
  • Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its going to be between Saints, Wigan and Warrington again this year. Huddersfield will probably start well again and then drift away, Castleford should make the play offs along with Catalan.

I think it will be intersting to see who finishes last. Should be between Salford, Wakefield and Widnes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its going to be between Saints, Wigan and Warrington again this year. Huddersfield will probably start well again and then drift away, Castleford should make the play offs along with Catalan.

I think it will be intersting to see who finishes last. Should be between Salford, Wakefield and Widnes.

Iestyn Harris better start well or the Dr will sack him.
    Forum Member
    Great win by Leigh 18-14 against a strong Wigan side Fuifui had a decent game took 3 men tackle him
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Quite a few 'pre season' games today...

Hull FC 22-28 Hull KR
    Leigh 18-14 Wigan
    Hunslet 14-24 Leeds
    Doncaster 12-32 Castleford
    Batley 26-6 Featherstone
    St Helens 16-20 Widnes
    Salford 66-4 Swinton
    Barrow 42-4 Whitehaven
    Forum Member
    Cheers some interesting scores today
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Gateshead Thunder.

Gateshead's Rugby League side have changed their names and moved over to the bright lights and big city of Newcastle. Now called Newcastle Thunder, they now play at the same ground as the Newcastle Falcons.
    Forum Member
    RIP Gateshead Thunder.

Gateshead's Rugby League side have changed their names and moved over to the bright lights and big city of Newcastle. Now called Newcastle Thunder, they now play at the same ground as the Newcastle Falcons.

Sad to see they got screwed over twice by the RL I felt really sorry for them when they had to make way for us to stay in the championship
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have started a Love Rugby League Fantasy Mini League if anybody would like to join. It isn't a DS comp, Tony may do that again, this is just one I have started for all and sundry. If you would like in then please PM me for joining code and league id

ta
    Forum Member
    I have started a Love Rugby League Fantasy Mini League if anybody would like to join. It isn't a DS comp, Tony may do that again, this is just one I have started for all and sundry. If you would like in then please PM me for joining code and league id

ta

i,m not doing it Darren so everybody join Darren s

i,m planning on a couple of comps a super 6,s which will be predicting 6 results from the 3 leagues and a tables which is a bit more complicated
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jamie Peacock's testimonial game on Sunday, against his former club Bradford. Leeds are putting a strong team out. I can't wait!

I hope he gets a big crowd. He's one of the best players of all time, with a career few (if any) can match.
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Jamie Peacock's testimonial game on Sunday, against his former club Bradford. Leeds are putting a strong team out. I can't wait!

I hope he gets a big crowd. He's one of the best players of all time, with a career few (if any) can match.

Enjoy should be good be intresting see how the bulls go
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great turnout for JP, appprox 11600.

Enjoyable game. Leeds were 24-0 up at half time, then tried to be a bit too silly and Bradford took full advantage grabbing a couple of tries back. There was grounds for optimism for both teams. Cuthbertson looks to be a good signing, and Stevie Ward has really benefited from a season away. If he can stay fit, he might have a good season.

Worrying that Hardaker didn't play. Various rumours are doing the rounds regarding his absence.
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Great turnout for JP, appprox 11600.

Enjoyable game. Leeds were 24-0 up at half time, then tried to be a bit too silly and Bradford took full advantage grabbing a couple of tries back. There was grounds for optimism for both teams. Cuthbertson looks to be a good signing, and Stevie Ward has really benefited from a season away. If he can stay fit, he might have a good season.

Worrying that Hardaker didn't play. Various rumours are doing the rounds regarding his absence.

Fully deserved
    Hope hardaker sorts his differences out
    Forum Member
    Leigh gave 10 debutees a run out against north wales looked good new signing Andrew Dixon had a good game bring on the bulls