Options

Contracts and Injuries

Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
Forum Member
This question is aimed at professional footballers and rugby players, but I guess it can also apply to other team sports such as cyclists.

As an example, Paul O'Connell was due to play for Toulon after his World Cup finished but an injury could see him miss the entire season.

I was curious as to how player's contracts work when they are injured. Does their contract allow them a basic salary to cover them should they be unavailable to play and they get an appearance bonus or some kind of top-up if they available to participate? And then perhaps win/point/clean-sheet and other performance related bonuses on top of that?

Or does an injury not affect their salary at all and the club/team has appropriate insurance to cover any necessary employment of a replacement?

I've found a few web pages which describe FIFA compensating clubs if players are injured on international duty, but was wondering what the contracts were like at a local level.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    For football most contracts are fully guaranteed and other than missing out possibly on some bonuses they players will still earn nearly all their salary. Other sports are different.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member
    Yeah figured it would be something like that, thanks for the info.