Lark Rise To Candleford Series 3

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angelheart wrote: »
    I'm still reading.. I have to say that I think all your points are valid, apart from the strange Judi Dench comments:confused:

To be fair I don't think she's been at all good in this series. Made very little impact:D
  • LavandulaLavandula Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    I pop in and look Lavandula, but to be honest I just cann't get into this series at all, shame as it was the highlight of my TV viewing week last year and I loved the banter on here.

To be honest I cann't see a series 4, and if they did have one can they at least tie up a load of loose ends and acknowledge that most viewers do want some degree of continuity.

I have to agree with you. It all seems a bit piecemeal. Last night was completely incongruous. To be in the hotel garden with Tom Conti, and to completely blank out what happened with JD just seemed strange.

I am afraid that I don't think that Dorcas is in a strong position to pontificate on anyone else's life.

BTW Glad to see that you are still around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lavandula wrote: »
    I have to agree with you. It all seems a bit piecemeal. Last night was completely incongruous. To be in the hotel garden with Tom Conti, and to completely blank out what happened with JD just seemed strange.

But what was she going to say and to whom L, she certainly wouldn't have mentioned it to a stranger. Dorcas has always kept her own counsel when it comes to her private life, only ever mentioning it once......to Emma, her closest relative. I don't think she will ever let anyone into her deepest thoughts regarding the men in her life:)
  • Sunshine&SolaceSunshine&Solace Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    But for her to have a strong love interest which begins at the start of every series and finishes at the end would just seem ludicrous.

Personally I want Sir Timothy back :D
    angelheart wrote: »
    I did feel though, that for Dorcas to have another love interest in this series would have been too much. I felt she needed time to recover, she is after all a Victorian woman, and I didn't feel it would be appropriate for her to fall in love with the next stranger passing through town.

I agree that Dorcas shouldn't have a NEW love interest this series, that would be ridiculous. Personally, I've always wanted her to get together with Mr Delafield ;) but a continuation of the JD story or a reprisal of the Sir Tim storyline would have made more sense.

However, instead of a love interest, perhaps there could have been a strong storyline about her family - perhaps she could have found a half sister or brother, something that challenged her view of herself and her background. It would have been interesting to see Dorcas really shaken in some way.
  • AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed last night's episode. I found Ruby Pratt leaving to find love very moving, it also brought it home to me how isolated people were in their communities. Nowadays there are cars and plenty of public transport, would not be such a dramatic step. Well played though.

I quite enjoyed the reclusive pianist bit. I didn't think it inappropriate for Dorcas to not mention JD.

What I am wondering about is Alf's siblings. At the end of the series before last (I think), his mother had a baby. What has happened to that baby, she would not have grown up enough to be one of the two little girls who play his sister, nor small enough to play the current baby.

It is a pleasant series but there is only so much the writers can get out of it so it might be best to finish after this one.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this series; for Dorcas to have had a new love-interest would have sullied her reputation in those times, and I feel she needs to be remain the steadfast person she is, at least for a while. Also, it would probably detract from the Alfie and Minnie storyline that seems to be developing. It would ruin the series IMO to have too many romances going on and that is not what LRTC is supposed to be about. My only bugbear is Laura. Does she have a different expression she could use instead of the vacant one and the very slightly surprised one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe i am just being an ass.......again:D:D

but the thing i couldnt and in this episode were dorcas's earings
    in the scene when she does back to the golden lion and is sitting at the fountain her earing are such a distraction for me
    even the slightest move of her head makes they earing sway like crazy and they drove me nuts:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AntoniaA wrote: »

What I am wondering about is Alf's siblings. At the end of the series before last (I think), his mother had a baby. What has happened to that baby, she would not have grown up enough to be one of the two little girls who play his sister, nor small enough to play the current baby.

She's definitely the baby born at the end of series 1 A, (Patience). It's just they haven't aged her, or Annie Timmins properly (they seem to be about 6 months younger than they should be):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyrsten wrote: »

but the thing i couldnt and in this episode were dorcas's earings
    in the scene when she does back to the golden lion and is sitting at the fountain her earing are such a distraction for me
    even the slightest move of her head makes they earing sway like crazy and they drove me nuts:rolleyes:

You're certainly very observant K, I didn't even notice she was wearing earrings........but that's just me, frocks and jewellery just go right over my head mostly:p
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    Dorcas is seriously doing my head in.. she an interfering self righteous busy body.. however, watch her manner change if you dare question any of her lifestyle choices.. she needs to butt out.. :rolleyes:

Laura is almost as bad, she's a snobby bore...:cool: the way they treat the poor housemaid, is terrible.. :eek:

I also really dislike Twister, I don't know why, but there's something very unsavoury about this character :confused:

I used to adore this programme, but now find I record it, and fast forward through the characters I don't like.. :D

Sorry Dorcas, Laura and Twister..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    Dorcas is seriously doing my head in.. she an interfering self righteous busy body.. however, watch her manner change if you dare question any of her lifestyle choices.. she needs to butt out..

If she butted out there would be no story!:D

The reason she intervened last night was she was in charge of the fund so was the only one who could ask him anything....

If Dorcas wasn't in the programme I really don't think I could be bothered to watch.....funny how people's opinions are different isn't it:)

(.....sshhh Team Dorcas:).....)
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    geogchick wrote: »
    The reason she intervened

I'll just stop you there... your explanation, is not required :cool: (Team Margaret)

it also, doesn't change my current opinion on Dorcas, Laura, and Twister.. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're certainly very observant K, I didn't even notice she was wearing earrings........but that's just me, frocks and jewellery just go right over my head mostly:p

dorcas is constantly wearing earings this series
    if you look closely at the emma scenes you can see the holes in her ears (two)

next you gonna tell me you didnt notice that they are doing the hair different ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread seems to be going into the realms of the Jordan/Peter thread today.....

Kyrsten how big is your telly?!!?.....that you see the holes in Emma's ears!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geogchick wrote: »
    This thread seems to be going into the realms of the Jordan/Peter thread today.....

Kyrsten how big is your telly?!!?.....that you see the holes in Emma's ears!?

i dont watch it on telly
    i am 3500 miles away so i have to watch it on my laptop

i notive things because i love this show
    dont judge me

another thing that i recently noticed is that whenever dorcas wears rings she always wears them on her middle finger instead of her ring finger

but i think that is more of a julia thing rather than a dorcas thing because she did the same thing in press gang
    my theory is julia just has tiny hands :)
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed last night's episode. Minnie was great and I liked her attempts to discuss people leaving without mentioning her sisters (and falling asleep!)

I love Tom Conti and I liked Mr Repington (is that it? I can't remember now!) sparring with Dorcas. Dorcas is always going to 'butt in' - partially because it's her nature and partially because as much as they complain about it -- everyone expects her to on their behalf.

Emma's girlish response (and guilt!) to enjoying the officer smiling at her was sweet. And I thought Robert did some pretty fancy writing on the paper which is why she didn't recognise it as his handwriting. I expect he doesn't write that way all the time.

And Ruby's departure -- I thought it was well handled, I certainly shed a tear. I love the Pratt's and like some others hope she'll be back soon with a husband and baby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

next you gonna tell me you didnt notice that they are doing the hair different ;)

I certainly noticed Laura's hair at the fashion show......very grown up:D...............

I noticed Twister's too.........does that count:D:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly noticed Laura's hair at the fashion show......very grown up:D...............

I noticed Twister's too.........does that count:D:p

last night for the first time in lark rise history dorcas had her hair down
    ever last series when she was practically on her death bed her hair was still pulled back in a braid
    even emma is now having her hair down sometimes
  • annijesannijes Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Have watched every episode, read all of this forum and commented on it occasionally. I love Julia 's portrayal of Dorcas and feel that her performance is so strong, the expression in her eyesetc (however school marmy she is sometimes made to appear) that she is the one you watch most of the time. I find Laura irritating and would she really have snogged openly in the street? Boyfriend smarmy and where is he living and what is he doing as he didn't take the job in Canterbury?. Can't bear Twister but love Queenie, plus Robert and Emma's relationship and think he is really attractive. Find the lack of continuity the most irritating thing as well as some of the slightly mystical episodes - no mention of JD, where's Alfs girl friend?, who's running the hotel ?etc etc
    But mainly, I want Sir Tim to come back widowed with the baby for Dorcas to mother (or JD to return for that matter). best episodes were Sir Tim and Dorcas pining for each other and then those with Dorcas and JD bickering and flirting:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    hey all!busy busy busy, just swinging in to add my two cents...

Last nights ep was much lighter than last weeks. The flatmates and I still had a good time. It was kind of fun, but I was a bit unsure about the type gramophone. Even though this plot was a very different tone from last weeks, visually the show is still stunning, and as usual all the actors were in fine form. Minnie and Ruby had some good stuff. The Ruby Pratt plot was interesting, especially as I am meandering my way through series 1 and 2. I must say that it seems that the Pratt sisters have come a long way since some of the earlier episodes.

Question for folks in the know:
    How does the chronology work in this show? 1 year=1 series? 1 series= 1 summer? 2 series=1 summer? I am not sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't she have her hair down for the famous 'you are magnificent' speech:confused:
    girl20 wrote: »

Question for folks in the know:
    How does the chronology work in this show? 1 year=1 series? 1 series= 1 summer? 2 series=1 summer? I am not sure.

So far seems to be 1 Series/1 year G20, but not necessarily Jan to Dec. Series 2 started in the winter and went thru to summer (1895). This year seems to have started late summer and will probably go into winter. Series 1 was Spring/Summer or Summer/Autumn I think, can't quite remember:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't she have her hair down for the famous 'you are magnificent' speech:confused:

it was in a braid and hangin over her shoulder
    not really down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ANz83Pjb4
  • katiekatie Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know, Ruby has never met Mr Pontefract. In the Victorian age I just can't see an unmarried woman moving away to another part of the country (quite a long way from Oxford area to Pontefract) to live near or with a man she has never met, only corresponded with. I know that some people way back then would meet for the first time just before or at their wedding, particularly if their parents or families had arranged the marriage, as in society, but for a well-to-girl in a quiet town? I know it was a plot device to write out the actress but isn't this another lack of attention to detail of the time?

Doesn't however deter from the fact that in LRTC is fantastic, gentle viewing on a Sunday night before the start of another working week. Even Hubby loves it, particularly Minnie and Thomas Brown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    ever last series when she was practically on her death bed her hair was still pulled back in a braid
    even emma is now having her hair down sometimes

Ahum. What about the scene outside the hotel? The dialogue with JD about the silver thropence? Also night time, hair down, even a similar shawl I think... (Funny how you noticed the earrings, I found myself thinking about them too. Not that they bugged me or anything, I was more trying to figure out what shape they were. Clovers?)

I liked it, this ep sort of reminded me of series one. Cozy. Great acting by Julia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahum. What about the scene outside the hotel? The dialogue with JD about the silver thropence? Also night time, hair down, even a similar shawl I think... (Funny how you noticed the earrings, I found myself thinking about them too. Not that they bugged me or anything, I was more trying to figure out what shape they were. Clovers?)

I liked it, this ep sort of reminded me of series one. Cozy. Great acting by Julia.

what scene are you talking about?
    all the scenes where her hair is not up then it is braided and off to the side
    it is never completely let down (until last night)
    i think they were like some sort of star