Woman's body found in missing mother and baby search in Bristol

Comments

• nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noooway wrote: »
    Portsmouth maternity unit is a secure one

Southampton is aswell, or was 7 years ago when my eldest was transferred there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bahtat wrote: »
    Getting fed up of hearing about people killing themselves and their children. Hope they burn in help.

Not sure if you're a troll but you need to understand how painful it is being in the throws of untreated post natal depression. >:(
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting fed up of hearing about people killing themselves and their children. Hope they burn in help.

It must be awful for you having to click on the thread and read such things :( Poor you. How inconsiderate of Charlotte to be mentally ill.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I think what they meant was, when they found she was missing, its considered that she 'discharged' herself, ie, she just left. Thats when they reported her missing to the police as it was unannounced, no proper discharge etc......
    Yes this is interesting as i once went through a self discharge procedure at a Hospital. It's quite simple really and the Hospital just asked for my signature. 30 seconds later i was out.

Makes logical sense due to duty of care etc.
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    That's true but according to the BBC report she had discharged herself yet the ward staff appear to have been unaware of that so she obviously hadn't communicated with them that she was leaving.

It's not really as easy as discharging yourself, they check you over, sign you off, arrange a time for the midwife to see you at home, the baby must have a car seat etc. I don't think she discharged herself and this was a misunderstanding.

This is a big hospital, the hospital on one born every minute (unless I'm mistaken) so I am sure they have a discharge policy in place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, side note; I wonder if this story would make the people who criticised the notion of a "baby hatch" change their minds?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Portsmouth maternity unit is a secure one.
    Southampton is as well, or was 7 years ago...
    Just a pity the Oncology ward there isn't and folk walk off with a post-op seriously ill child without informing the Hospital......much to the applause of a handful of people.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes you are correct they need help.

Mental Heath issues are very real these poor people do not need condemnation,she come off her anti depressants so she could feed her child.

If she was high risk she should have had a better eye kept on her, the trust in my view should have involved an agency nurse at the very least to be with her one to one.

It happens from time to time in my trust,people needing one to one care.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a pity the Oncology ward there isn't and folk walk off with a post-op seriously ill child without informing the Hospital......much to the applause of a handful of people.

The parent's you're referring to had their child's best interests at heart and I'm sure it wasn't a decision that was taken lightly, but there's surely a thread about that case.

Seems to be a lot of judgemental comments bandied around nowadays when it comes to parenting, no surprise people crumble when the pressure mounts:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really as easy as discharging yourself, they check you over, sign you off, arrange a time for the midwife to see you at home, the baby must have a car seat etc. I don't think she discharged herself and this was a misunderstanding.

This is a big hospital, the hospital on one born every minute (unless I'm mistaken) so I am sure they have a discharge policy in place.
    Yes i realise that. In my case it was just a broken arm and i went to another Hospital closer to home where they 'sorted it'.

Understandably Hospitals are fussy about new borns and their mums, though by comparison to the 70's when my son was born, it's virtually a conveyor belt job now....in one end, out the other! Back in the 70's it was one week!
  • hazy-dayshazy-days Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have four children and the last two times I have been in on post natal I have experienced new mums crying with frustration they cannot feed their baby themselves and that their baby is crying uncontrollably because they are hungry and because they can pick up on the tension from the mum... I have seen ward staff tut and roll their eyes at these new mums :(:( If a mum has mental health issues and things like this happen I would imagine this would spiral, I found it distressing that these 1st time mums were receiving very little support and would probably go home tired, exhausted and very emotional having not had a good experience on the ward.

This was my experience too. As soon as the Dads were kicked out our ward was basically filled with sobbing from various beds. Mine included.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The parent's you're referring to had their child's best interests at heart and I'm sure it wasn't a decision that was taken lightly, but there's surely a thread about that case.

Seems to be a lot of judgemental comments bandied around nowadays when it comes to parenting, no surprise people crumble when the pressure mounts:confused:
    The point i was making was in reference to following procedural self discharge which i believe anyone with any sense would understand the reason for it.......unless of course you don't want the Hospital to know. And then the question would be 'why not'?
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Déjà vu
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hazy-days wrote: »
    This was my experience too. that's tooas the Dads were kicked out our ward was basically filled with sobbing from various beds. Mine included.

My experience too. I understand that they're busy but that's no excuse for the attitude of "well you made the baby, now you deal with the baby"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point i was making was in reference to following procedural self discharge which i believe anyone with any sense would understand the reason for it.......unless of course you don't want the Hospital to know. And then the question would be 'why not'?

Even if you can't discharge yourself you can easily abscond
  • BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if you're a troll but you need to understand how painful it is being in the throws of untreated post natal depression. >:(

Good excuse then
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazy-days wrote: »
    This was my experience too. As soon as the Dads were kicked out our ward was basically filled with sobbing from various beds. Mine included.

I'm so sorry to hear that :(

I had a lady in the bed next to me who sobbed continuously, her birth wasn't as she planned so she had ended up in emergency section, her baby wanted to be permanently latched on but she was struggling with this so tears from her and screams from the baby all day and all night, and all she got from the staff was "why are you crying for?" It played on my mind once I was discharged as I thought she would of been an absolute wreck once she was finally aloud home, and that was someone of sane mind :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good excuse then

You must be trolling
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if you can't discharge yourself you can easily abscond
    Appears so. I think after this and certain other cases there will no doubt be a tightening up on in-patients just disappearing at will.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well poor you getting fed up hearing about people so desperate and distraught they think their only option is to end their life. How hard that must be on you. You clearly have no understanding of mental health issues at all so why bother commenting? I'm fed up of reading drivel like this from idiotic, uneducated buffoons who think it's right to judge and criticise something they have no comprehension of. Do you honestly think this poor girl wanted to feel the way she did, it was out of her control. No one wants to feel so low that permanently removing yourself from this earth is the only thing that will stop the feelings and torment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, side note; I wonder if this story would make the people who criticised the notion of a "baby hatch" change their minds?

I think having baby hatches or something similar to America's Save Haven laws would be good, you have a certain amount of time after having a baby (I think 2-3 months) to leave the baby safely in a hospital, police station, fire station. As long the baby is unharmed the parents won't face any criminal charges and can remain nameless during court proceedings to make the baby a ward of the state.

All places that participate have a "Safe Haven" sign and a plastic cot just in side the doors. So any baby left is safe and warm until someone checks.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appears so. I think after this and certain other cases there will no doubt be a tightening up on in-patients just disappearing at will.

Short of locking patients in, I'm not sure what can be done?
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calien01 wrote: »
    I think having baby hatches or something similar to America's Save Haven laws would be good, you have a certain amount of time after having a baby (I think 2-3 months) to leave the baby safely in a hospital, police station, fire station. As long the baby is unharmed the parents won't face any criminal charges and can remain nameless during court proceedings to make the baby a ward of the state.

All places that participate have a "Safe Haven" sign and a plastic cot just in side the doors. So any baby left is safe and warm until someone checks.

I think baby hatches are a good idea but that would not have saved this baby. I think this mum was severely depressed and wasnt thinking clearly, I dont think her behaviour was about not wanting the child, or worrying about caring for the child per se, she seems to have acted entirely illogically and was suicidal. It may have also been fairly impulsive too if she didnt seem to raise any concern half hour before when her partner was present, yet then just walks out, slippers and all, walks half a mile to a river gorge and throws herself off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is worrying regardless to the circumstances of the mum, that a newborn was able to just be taken out of the hospital, no alarms went off and their disappearance went unnoticed for 30 mins...

Would it be just as easy for example if mum went for a shower A visitor on the ward just up'd and left with a baby? Would they go unnoticed too?