• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    news breaking that cook has been dropped from the ODI team
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    news breaking that cook has been dropped from the ODI team

Eoin Morgan has replaced Alastair Cook as England's ODI captain less than two months before the World Cup.

Right decision but way too late
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    Eoin Morgan has replaced Alastair Cook as England's ODI captain less than two months before the World Cup.

yep wasted so many games compromising the team by keeping him in it and meant guys like hales and taylor have not got the experience they should have going into the world cup
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Cook likely to stay on as test captain? For the ashes this summer?
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep wasted so many games compromising the team by keeping him in it and meant guys like hales and taylor have not got the experience they should have going into the world cup

Oh FFS you got your way, stop whining now.

Lets hope Morgan can show some form, he's had a worst series than Cook in the last three ODI series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Is Cook likely to stay on as test captain? For the ashes this summer?

Yes of course, why not?
    Forum Member
    Oh FFS you got your way, stop whining now.

Lets hope Morgan can show some form, he's had a worst series than Cook in the last three ODI series.

calm down

I was responding to a post that said it was the right decision but made too late , I was expanding on that post

I don't see you attacking the person who made that post
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes of course, why not?

I'm not making any suggestions of what should happen, just wondering. These things can have a snowball effect sometimes and the people who wanted him gone as ODI captain will be calling for him to go as test captain as well. Vultures are circling around that predicament I suspect more so now.
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    I'm not making any suggestions of what should happen, just wondering. These things can have a snowball effect sometimes and the people who wanted him gone as ODI captain will be calling for him to go as test captain as well. Vultures are circling around that predicament I suspect more so now.

why should it ?

he was dropped from the ODI team because he wasn't performing as a player in the format nothing to do with his captaincy, and quite clearly was not in the team for cricketing reasons

he is, and if anything this might help him, most definitely in the test team on merit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calm down

I was responding to a post that said it was the right decision but made too late , I was expanding on that post

I don't see you attacking the person who made that post

Well I disagree with that post too, ho-hum. He was playing incredibly well for awhile in ODIs, I mean it's incrtedibly easy to say he hasn't performed since,, but how does that correlate with how long he should have been in the team, I mean if you just start counting at when the time the slump started its pretty easy to be wise after thew event.

I'm not against Cook being dropped, I just don't get why Morgan has been made captain, his form is equally horrendous even worse over 3 series.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad he's gone

I also think this will help his Test career as he now has chance to get rid of the one day shot of following the ball bowled across him

I see it as a win win in that it should improve both the ODI team and also the Test team

As an aside , wonder what Paul Downton has to say after his unequivocal backing the other day. Wonder if it put's his position in jeopardy as he's obviously been overruled in a high profile decision

EDIT

Re Morgan , I agree he has been performing as poorly as Cook
    As ODI's are supposedly his strength, he may benefit too from stronger starts at the top of the order
    Forum Member
    Well I disagree with that post too, ho-hum. He was playing incredibly well for awhile in ODIs, I mean it's incrtedibly easy to say he hasn't performed since,, but how does that correlate with how long he should have been in the team, I mean if you just start counting at when the time the slump started its pretty easy to be wise after thew event.

I'm not against Cook being dropped, I just don't get why Morgan has been made captain, his form is equally horrendous even worse over 3 series.

he had a brief period of good form , and even that was not out of this world, based on overall appearances it could be argued that period was very much the exception rather than anything we can expect to see again

I wont argue that morgan has been struggling for awhile he quite obviously has, being shunted down to #6 and coming in when we are already in trouble hasn't helped him tho imo, however if I had to make a choice between which one of cook and morgan is more likely to contribute in ODis it would be morgan every time and not even a close call

he is already in Australia playing in the BBL so hopefully that will help him find some form before the tri-series and the world cup
    Forum Member
    I'm glad he's gone

I also think this will help his Test career as he now has chance to get rid of the one day shot of following the ball bowled across him

I see it as a win win in that it should improve both the ODI team and also the Test team

agree 100% with that

sean has been having a go at me for having some personal agenda against cook , something that couldn't be farther from the truth as I have actually been very supportive of him in tests

as you say this decision should hopefully help both the ODI team and the test team , cook can now get ready for the WI series after a nice break to get his head straight after what must have been a difficult period for him with all the media scrutiny
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he had a brief period of good form , and even that was not out of this world, based on overall appearances it could be argued that period was very much the exception rather than anything we can expect to see again

I wont argue that morgan has been struggling for awhile he quite obviously has, being shunted down to #6 and coming in when we are already in trouble hasn't helped him tho imo, however if I had to make a choice between which one of cook and morgan is more likely to contribute in ODis it would be morgan every time and not even a close call

he is already in Australia playing in the BBL so hopefully that will help him find some form before the tri-series and the world cup

Well this is the point isn't it, you look at Cooks good form and deem it not that outstanding, Morgans you think was. Think their records are pretty similar. Would rather they made Root captain, TBH.

Many great ODI players have loved coming in at 6 it's a key position, not sure why it's an excuse to be bad.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member

Yes this^^
    Forum Member
    Well this is the point isn't it, you look at Cooks good form and deem it not that outstanding, Morgans you think was. Think their records are pretty similar. Would rather they made Root captain, TBH.

Many great ODI players have loved coming in at 6 it's a key position, not sure why it's an excuse to be bad.

because it wasn't outstanding

it was better than the rest of his career but that's it

morgan for a period was almost carrying our ODI team , when could you ever say that about cook ?

and yet again you twist my words , I never said coming in at #6 was bad in general, coming in at #6 in this England team when you are regularly 50-4 is bad
    Forum Member

No. No root as captain as soon as you make him captain his form will drop .
    Forum Member
    Cook can now continue in the test arena and be one the best English batsmen ever.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downton had no say in it. The selectors are Moores, Gus Fraser, Mick Newell and James Whitaker.

As already stated, why have they just wasted a seven match tour before making the world's most obvious selection decision, not long before a World Cup? And I agree that Morgan hasn't exactly been in good form either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because it wasn't outstanding

it was better than the rest of his career but that's it

morgan for a period was almost carrying our ODI team , when could you ever say that about cook ?

and yet again you twist my words , I never said coming in at #6 was bad in general, coming in at #6 in this England team when you are regularly 50-4 is bad

I can't be arsed to look at the stats, but I thought he was outstanding after he came back into the team, Averaging over 50 at a good strike-rate, just as good as anything Morgan did. Again it's perception.

Look I really hope Morgan does well, I want England to do well, but I fail to see how a guy who has been uniformly rubbish with the bat for a year, and never been a decent captain is a great panacea.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I am not happy with Morgan. It's sad that we do not have a more worthy candidate.

Root is the best batter and we should not burden him with the job.
    Forum Member
    I can't be arsed to look at the stats, but I thought he was outstanding after he came back into the team, Averaging over 50 at a good strike-rate, just as good as anything Morgan did. Again it's perception.

Look I really hope Morgan does well, I want England to do well, but I fail to see how a guy who has been uniformly rubbish with the bat for a year, and never been a decent captain is a great panacea.

and at no point have I disagreed with you about morgan being out of form too

altho over the last 12 months he has still made one hundred and 3 50s in ODIs to cook's solitary 50

I have simply stated if it came down to a decision between them then I would pick morgan as I believe he is better suited to the format, has a better track record in the format AND most importantly I think keeping cook in the ODI team was damaging the team and cook himself
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and at no point have I disagreed with you about morgan being out of form too

altho over the last 12 months he has still made one hundred and 3 50s in ODIs to cook's solitary 50

I have simply stated if it came down to a decision between them then I would pick morgan as I believe he is better suited to the format, has a better track record in the format AND most importantly I think keeping cook in the ODI team was damaging the team and cook himself

Look I apologise for making stuff personal before:)

In the end i would chose neither at the moment, simple as that. Certainly not as captain.
    Forum Member
    Look I apologise for making stuff personal before:)

In the end i would chose neither at the moment, simple as that. Certainly not as captain.

they are not going to go into a world cup with a completely new top 6 and captain tho , which is basically what we would end up with if they went past morgan

which comes back to the point about making this decision too late and not really having any great options as the plans have all been based around cook, only alternative to morgan to provide some level of experience would be bell and I have already upset enough bell fans on another forum recently so I will say no more ;-)
    Forum Member
    46 months ago the England management team said we are building for the 2015 world cup 2 months before the competition we change our captain. We are a laughing stock.
This discussion has been closed.