StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, sounds horrible. :(

My condolences to everyone involved and their families. :(
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is horrific. George Sq. will be packed...days before Christmas, schools off, the fair and the ice rink as well as shoppers. I was planning to take the kids in this week. It sounds like the driver has taken ill at the wheel, there was no warning, no other vehicle involved.

We had the Clutha helicopter crash just before Christmas last year too. :(

It was really busy. I have my little Sister up from Inverness this week and took her to George Square today for the Ice Skating and the Big Wheel. Quite shook to think I was there twenty minutes before it happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC News just said children might be hurt as well. :(
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, how awful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    aww that's terrible :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    It was really busy. I have my little Sister up from Inverness this week and took her to George Square today for the Ice Skating and the Big Wheel. Quite shook to think I was there twenty minutes before it happened.

Well, at least your safe. ;-)

Hope you're feeling all right, I can understand that your shook up. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks horrible. :(
  • Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very busy part of Glasgow. Walked through that street many times. Scary stuff. And so near Christmas...
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News saying Bin lorry driver had heart attack, was seen slumped over the wheel :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, at least your safe. ;-)

Hope you're feeling all right, I can understand that your shook up. :(

It's more the poor people and their families I'm thinking about now. I just hope the people who lost their lives didn't suffer.
  • Options
    Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eyewitness says the lorry ran into a buggy and children:(

Bit insensitive Sky reporter asking the eyewitness to describe the bodies>:(

Yeh I was in disbelief watching how ghoulish the reporter was! He was determined to get gory graphic details out of that poor woman! He wants sacking! Relatives will still be finding out about their loved ones and he wanted her to divulge details like that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh I was in disbelief watching how ghoulish the reporter was! He was determined to get gory graphic details out of that poor woman! He wants sacking! Relatives will still be finding out about their loved ones and he wanted her to divulge details like that!

It's horrible the mentality some of these reporters have, wanting to be the one to get the "scoop" regardless of how horrific the incident is.
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bin lorry first hit pedestrians outside the Museum of Modern Art before travelling about more than 100m on the pavement and crashing into the hotel. Terrible news on Christmas week in a very busy area of Glasgow.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heart goes out to all people involved in this sad accident.

I do wish the sky reporters would back off a little. I understand they have a duty to report on such events. But their questioning of people who have told them they don't want to talk about then they carry on asking them questions. Their have been reports of them chasing down people with iphone cameras at the scene for questions.

I think some of the questions are quite awful to ask and clearly some of these people are far to upset to really be giving interviews at this stage.
  • Options
    saffron_starsaffron_star Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This police officer that is giving the information on BBC news looks very emotional and upset. Must be very difficult scenes for the emergency services to see.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just interviewing some idiot on Sky News.

Reckons the lorry was going "70-100mph" and started going on about "could be terrorist incident". Then he seemed to get cut off somehow!!! :confused:
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartbreaking. Just watching on the news, a witness says it was travelling around 70 to 100mph.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Bluescope wrote: »
    Heart goes out to all people involved in this sad accident.

I do wish the sky reporters would back off a little. I understand they have a duty to report on such events. But their questioning of people who have told them they don't want to talk about then they carry on asking them questions. Their have been reports of them chasing down people with iphone cameras at the scene for questions.

I think some of the questions are quite awful to ask and clearly some of these people are far to upset to really be giving interviews at this stage.

I felt awful for the poor man just a few minutes ago, he clearly said 'I dont want to talk about it' but the reporter just wouldn't let it go. You could clearly see the man was distressed >:(

Awful thing to happen, a tragic accident. Thoughts to all the families and casualties involved.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »

Reckons the lorry was going "70-100mph" and started going on about "could be terrorist incident". Then he seemed to get cut off somehow!!! :confused:

Everything bad is now terrorism.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    The lorry hit someone 300 metres away from where it ended up.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    Heartbreaking. Just watching on the news, a witness says it was travelling around 70 to 100mph.

That sounds impossible for a bin lorry on city centre streets. Just shows how eye witnesses can exaggerate.

I was actually stood on that very spot a few months ago.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »

No, he was asked what went through his mind, he said 'I thought it could have been terrorists' which is not an unusual thought to flash into your mind.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bin lorry first hit pedestrians outside the Museum of Modern Art before travelling about 70m on the pavement and crashing into the hotel. Terrible news on Christmas week in a very busy area of Glasgow.
    It just said it travelled 300m on BBC NEWS.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    BBC News saying Bin lorry driver had heart attack, was seen slumped over the wheel :(

How very sad. What a dreadful tragedy, especially for all those affected by this accident. :(

That Sky News reporter is a disgrace in persistingly asking those questions of eye witnesses who are clearly in shock. He has such a brusque manner too.
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Police on sky news just said that the lorry ran someone over, then carried on and ran more people over further down the road.
    Speculation now that the driver had been taken ill which is why he collided with the victims