What was your most relaxed job?

WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
Forum Member
✭✭✭
That you ever had? One with the least pressure, annoying boss etc?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Four months waiting for the people who'd employed me to work on an IT project to actually decide what they wanted to do.

I became an expert on Flight Simulator, wrote a book, and had 3 hour lunches on expenses :D
    My boss took on a job in a nearby company teaching IT, and the four of us on the team freelanced for her.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Four months waiting for the people who'd employed me to work on an IT project to actually decide what they wanted to do.

I became an expert on Flight Simulator, wrote a book, and had 3 hour lunches on expenses :D
    My boss took on a job in a nearby company teaching IT, and the four of us on the team freelanced for her.
    Similar situation for me. It was part of my duties to research poker and poker software so basically I played online poker for most of the day and other games inbetween.
    This went on for months as the bosses tried to find investment for the project.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Working from home and being given eight months notice that I was being "offered" compulsory early retirement, after 35 years, on full pension and with a full redundancy package.
    :)

I prefer the Derek and Clive "Worse job you ever had" option.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sainsbury's was on a Sunday after closing hours. There hardly anyone in the store working. The display CD players on the shelf for selling would be used by staff to play their own CD's.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Being a research scientist before the bean counters killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. Happy days.
  • WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Being a research scientist before the bean counters killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. Happy days.

That sounds good, I've always quite liked the thought of being a researcher. What field was that in, if you don't mind me asking?
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    That sounds good, I've always quite liked the thought of being a researcher. What field was that in, if you don't mind me asking?

When I started, I did something called Electron Beam Lithography. The idea is to turn up the current on an electron microscope to draw patterns on silicon for integrated circuits with a 20,000 volt beam. The e-beam only deflects by a few mm, so the silicon wafer has to be moved around at high speed in a vacuum. The whole thing would shake itself to bits without a massive weight to hold it steady.

We didn't have enough lead.or depleted uranium. So a scientist went out and bought a gravestone cheap 'cos it had a spelling mistake. Sorted. :D
  • gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it was when i did security on a retail park at night none of the shops were open no bosses around was just me it was bliss until 4am when the delivery trucks started to arrive.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Groundskeeper at a crematorium memorial gardens.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My previous job was a complete doss. Spent probably 30 hours of a 37 hour week on the Internet and general pratting around. It's terrible having to do all my internet viewing in my own time now (very restricted access to the Internet at my current wrk place) lol
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    My previous job was a complete doss. Spent probably 30 hours of a 37 hour week on the Internet and general pratting around. It's terrible having to do all my internet viewing in my own time now (very restricted access to the Internet at my current wrk place) lol
    The job I posted about earlier is also the one when I signed up for DS.

I used to prattle around on here at several points during the day :D
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first job for a council in the planning department. Most people had finished their work by lunchtime and spent the rest of the day having cups of tea and sitting around talking.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Night manager at a smallish hotel 2 nights a week. Spent most of my time watching tv.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    My first job for a council in the planning department. Most people had finished their work by lunchtime and spent the rest of the day having cups of tea and sitting around talking.

The Public sector. Have shed a million jobs in the last 4 years and still function just as well.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shiftwork maintenance electrician.

On day shift it was relaxed, in that breakdowns happened, but the engineering bigwigs were about, so the pressure was on their shoulders.

Nights and weekends; I took the advice of the two mechanical guys (old hands) who gave me the best advice ever - don't be a big 'I am' because you're on the engineering staff, listen to them, and most important; at the start of the shift go round and chat to see if everything is ok.

Everyone wants a quiet time on nights, but piss production workers off at your peril; they will run you ragged.

Most weekend days were spent watching sport or playing a creaky pc golf game (this was the earlier 90's), where the person who took the most shots on the last hole had to buy the teas.

Nights, we used to tease the newbie production workers about ghosts - some of the places were a bit dark and dingy - we spent a couple of hours one night rigging up some ducting to talk down when a chap had to come up and change chemical barrels.

Scared the sh!t out of him.

I had a lot of laughs, earned a lot, and because of being on shift, and doing overtime and living at home, couldn't spend it.

Stashed it away, quit after two years to go to university and spent a lot drinking, and still had a bit left for a deposit on flat.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The job I posted about earlier is also the one when I signed up for DS.

I used to prattle around on here at several points during the day :D

Same here! I had so much time that I could post in here more often than I do now
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Night shift at a comic cafe where I was substituting for a friend when she had the flu.

The cafe was often empty all night, which allowed me to read quite a few comic books to pass time. I read the series of Sanctuary (by Sho Fumimura and Ryoichi Ikegami) in one night.

That was honestly fun. It was also great that when I reached the end where two characters stood under the sun in Cambodia, the morning sunlight broke through the cafe window and lit up those two pages. One of my all-time favourite memories.

Yeah, I was rather sorry when she was well enough to return.
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a job processing orders for a food wholesalers. The big boss left at lunchtime on a Friday and all my work would be done by then. I could spend the afternoon playing on the computer, snoozing at my desk or doing whatever I wanted until 5PM while getting paid for it.
  • nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worked for tempo (don't sign on the dotted line until you talk to tempo!) was one of the most laid back jobs ever and have a good laugh with all my co workers. Customers were even aloud to smoke at the counter :-/

Company went bust so had to move on :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    When I started, I did something called Electron Beam Lithography. The idea is to turn up the current on an electron microscope to draw patterns on silicon for integrated circuits with a 20,000 volt beam. The e-beam only deflects by a few mm, so the silicon wafer has to be moved around at high speed in a vacuum. The whole thing would shake itself to bits without a massive weight to hold it steady.

We didn't have enough lead.or depleted uranium. So a scientist went out and bought a gravestone cheap 'cos it had a spelling mistake. Sorted. :D

Electron Beam Lithography sounds rather intriguing. :)

Some very interesting relies so far. Takae's comic shop job sounds the most appealing, just getting to read all night. :D

The best jobs have little stress but plenty of mental stimulation too: I can't handle jobs which are so tedious that they make you shut down mentally.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My current one. Classroom assistant. It can be chaotic and always busy but in a nice way and never stressy. You have to stay calm and I love the routine of it all. Makes me feel almost serene :D particularly in comparison to my nursing job before. It was all stress in the end. I love my job. Huge pay cut and all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My current one. Classroom assistant. It can be chaotic and always busy but in a nice way and never stressy. You have to stay calm and I love the routine of it all. Makes me feel almost serene :D particularly in comparison to my nursing job before. It was all stress in the end. I love my job. Huge pay cut and all.

That's great, it's such a relief to find a job you can enjoy. :)

I find often it's the people you have to work with that make all the difference.

I quite fancy finding a role that allows you to plod along doing something organisational, with little pressure from 'above'. Sounds ideal. :D
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Working in a historical medical archive. I just messed around with old instruments and ancient books all day. Even found half a preserved human head in a box one day (the nerves had been injected with dyed wax. I loved it. I kept it out on my desk as a mascot). The only reason I left was because I moved hundreds of miles away :(
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my ex-husband and I moved to Bath I was pregnant and looked for temping work. Had a few jobs and then worked for a few months with a local architect firm, thoroughly enjoyed it - they were laid-back but efficient, the staff were all very friendly and I had the opportunity to work extra at weekends, no pressure, on a special project that I thoroughly enjoyed as I love typing but they also wanted my input on report layout, etc.

I only left because I had problems with the pregnancy. They were great, visited me in hospital, sent a bouquet, etc. Lovely people, enjoyed the experience a lot.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Research job for me as well. We only had to be reactive to our clients who'd appear a couple of times a week max. The jobs they wanted doing were beyond simple, so we'd spend a few days clearing those and then sit around doing not much for the rest of the week. It was good for about three years as they kept on paying us more and more for doing the same, but internally it was soul-destroying because it was largely purposeless.

In the final two years things just went downhill because of the boredom so I resigned. I've got a stupidly stressful job now where things never seem to stop, but it's in a field where the outcomes have a direct impact on extremely vulnerable people, so on one hand it's much more personally rewarding, but I do still look back with rose-tinted specs to my research years of 5 hour working days and having no-one to answer to.