Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard that were looking at the Australian No1 keeper. don't even know his name

Anyone know if this is true
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    TheMask wrote: »

Matthew Ryan? I posted about him the other day after seeing us linked. No idea whether he's any good, mind.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's a bit short for my liking.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Lucas celebrated with the fans as well as Rickie, but didn't get booked for it.

Here he is almost crowd surfing:

https://vine.co/v/OjgeEpAzV70

Doesn't look like a man that wants to leave.
  • Options
    South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,381
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    If only the season started in January. We'd have a few titles by now. :p

We already have 23 titles. :D
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    City not doing us a favour, Gunners 2 up. :(
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this was certainly an annoying weekend in terms of our rivals results. Obviously we can't expect them to drop points every week, but it's never nice to see United, Arsenal, Spurs and Southampton all pick up wins. Another 3 points for West Ham too, though I'm not really concerned about them right now, I reckon they'll fall away at some point.

Considering their form, I no longer consider Everton rivals for a top 4 position, but it'd still be a nice remedy to see them get done by West Brom tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rodgers confirms Origi staying at Lille.

Makes sense FSG not paying anymore to get the player we have already bought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Rodgers confirms Origi staying at Lille.

Makes sense FSG not paying anymore to get the player we have already bought.

The optimist in me hopes it's because we've got a more proven goalscorer lined up for the short term (we can't rely on Sturridge staying fit or Lambert, Borini and Balotelli suddenly turning into goal machines). If Origi is staying put in France for now, I'd be staggered if we don't have an inbound striker lined up, loan or otherwise. Not to do so would put any challenge for top four or silverware at serious risk.
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is, he's not exactly setting France alight, he's in a team that score very few goals and probably create few chances.

I'd think the player himself would be better off coming here to be honest
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Defoe would have been a bad call for us.
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    The optimist in me hopes it's because we've got a more proven goalscorer lined up for the short term (we can't rely on Sturridge staying fit or Lambert, Borini and Balotelli suddenly turning into goal machines). If Origi is staying put in France for now, I'd be staggered if we don't have an inbound striker lined up, loan or otherwise. Not to do so would put any challenge for top four or silverware at serious risk.
    Sadly I wouldn't be. I'm in the "not expecting any striker arrivals this Jan" camp! :(
    Gone to Sunderland now though so I don't think he would have ever been on the radar.

Good result on Saturday and I absolutely loved the teams celebration after Rickie's goal. esp Lucas diving straight into the crowd and shaking their heads :D
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    We're going well in the league, but now we have 3 big cup games coming up.
    Ferbruary will be a big month with matches against Everton, Tottenham, Southampton and City, though the City game will be postponed if we reach the League Cup Final. Europa League and possible FA Cup 5th round match also, so lots of big games to look forward to, it's just like the old times. :)

Whilst our improvement in form is pleasing, I am worried that it's only come since the break in European football and the pressures that brought. I will be much more confident if we can maintain our current form once the EL starts up and hope we can stay in the 2 domestic cups as well. The club have an interesting conundrum with respect to potential CL qualification. While we are very much still in the fight for top 4 right now we could easily finish anywhere from 3rd to 8th and performances over the weekend from teams like Southampton, Arsenal, West Ham & Spurs just goes to show how tough it is going to be over-hauling all of them! Meanwhile the EL presents a back-door back into the CL so cannot be dismissed as a distraction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Considering the contract Sunderland have given him. Hell no!!!

32 years old, 3.5 years 70k a week. That would of been crazy.
    Sadly I wouldn't be. I'm in the "not expecting any striker arrivals this Jan" camp!

Not unless someone leaves which I don't think will happen.

There isn't room for a 5th striker.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but Assaidi has left the club: http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30797122

He was never really given a chance here, so hopefully he can go off and rebuild his career.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good that's 4 million in bank for er......the summer! :o
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Brendan Rodgers has been saying for a while that he thought January would be a quiet month for the club transfer wise; with the recall of Ibe and, at least, a 'conversation' about Origi, then that really backs up what he's been saying.
    Goalkeeping position apart, I'll be shocked if we bring anybody else in this window, and if someone does leave I think they'll be replaced with a season loanee. This situation may or may not have been exacerbated by failing to make the CL knockout phase and missing out on the extra cash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers has been saying for a while that he thought January would be a quiet month for the club transfer wise; with the recall of Ibe and, at least, a 'conversation' about Origi, then that really backs up what he's been saying.
    Goalkeeping position apart, I'll be shocked if we bring anybody else in this window, and if someone does leave I think they'll be replaced with a season loanee. This situation may or may not have been exacerbated by failing to make the CL knockout phase and missing out on the extra cash.

I can see the financial angle but you could argue that not getting in a reliable goalscorer to back Sturridge up we'll very likely miss out on top 4 and a lot more potential income.

As such, I can see the loan thing happening at least. There is no way I'd rely on Sturridge staying fit for the rest of the season and despite our recent form, our other strikers just won't score enough goals to maintain a realistic challenge for 4th, especially in the biggest games.

I'm still convinced we'll do something - and that includes off-loading at least one of our forwards.

I've never believed any manager who says there's nothing doing on the transfer front and I'm not going to start now. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And to think some phone-in fools wanted us to recruit Pulis earlier this season - this game is like watching somebody else's paint dry. Truly dreadful.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »

As such, I can see the loan thing happening at least. There is no way I'd rely on Sturridge staying fit for the rest of the season and despite our recent form, our other strikers just won't score enough goals to maintain a realistic challenge for 4th, especially in the biggest games.

Yeah, that's a fair point. If Daniel manages 8 games on the spin, it'll be a surprise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a fair point. If Daniel manages 8 games on the spin, it'll be a surprise.

I agree with this, biggest error this season has been a back up for Sturridge. What would happen if he sustained an injury.

It's nothing new though. Remember when our back up striker was NGog?

We really did need to get 4th for funds, but also the attractiveness of champions league if Liverpool wanted bring new players in the summer.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Teddy Bishop is coming to Anfield.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We really did need to get 4th for funds, but also the attractiveness of champions league if Liverpool wanted bring new players in the summer.

I don't know. Man Utd seemed to do just fine signing players as they pay the big funds/wages.

I still think wages have more of a say than CL football on offer when it comes to player recruitment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man United does have money and it helps when signing players, but they also have pedigree and rarely out of the champions league. This season is the first for more than 15yrs when they have not competed in the competition.

We have not been a top four team for some time so we cannot compare our situation with United. Two years ago they won the Premier League, they are known as a club who has won a lot of cups and titles for the last 20yrs. Liverpool has not I hate to say it. We are not in player competition with them, most would choose United before us.

Realistically our competition for players except for last season is with the likes of Spurs. Who have been in a similar situation. Spurs benefits from the fact they are a London based team. If we got 4th and were sure of another year in a champions league it might have helped, not hugely, but a second year in the champions league would have helped send a message to players looking to go to a team in the champions league.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Looks like Teddy Bishop is coming to Anfield.

Is he the lad at Ipswich? I heard he was off to Arsenal.

Hopefully he does choose us:).
This discussion has been closed.