Options

Hair Dye disaster! Help!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
Forum Member
My mum is going on holiday tomorrow and thought it would be wise to use a home semi-permanent colour on her hair to get rid of the grey. She usually has it done every six weeks at the hair dressers but seeing as she isn't going until after her holiday she just thought she'd top it up. She's done it before, no problems.

However, she dyed it with Clairol nice n' easy to go medium brown, and its gone BRIGHT red. I'm talking like Ariel from the little mermaid, it's awful :eek:

She's now pooing her pants about the holiday, and wondered what could she do about it in the next 24 hours?
She's currently frantically washing it. Help!

Comments

• Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Oh Heck! There is till time to get to a supermarket and get another one to maybe try and darken it or make it brown I suppose. The only other thing I can think is go and throw herself on the mercy of a pro hairdresser first thing and see if they can do anything for her.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    asdf1982asdf1982 Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bright red!?

Right first of all stop frantically washing it! there is an easy way to get rid of semi permanent colour. Head and shoulders shampoo just wash it once and it will be gone

edit: to clarify that only works with semi permanent colour im not sure if nice and easy is permanent?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing can be done now. She will likely need the colour stripped but only by a professional.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    asdf1982 wrote: »
    Bright red?

Right first of all stop frantically washing it! there is an easy way to get rid of semi permanent colour. Head and shoulders shampoo just wash it once and it will be gone
    Is that true? I'll remember that for my son's GF who had a similar problem to the OP's Mum this week. Ta
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Handers wrote: »
    Nothing can be done now. She will likely need the colour stripped but only by a professional.

There is a shampoo you can buy that does that. Not sure where you'd get it from but I have seen it advertised on the telly. If the Head and Shoulders thing is right that would be good and far quicker.
  • Options
    asdf1982asdf1982 Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that true? I'll remember that for my son's GF who had a similar problem to the OP's Mum this week. Ta

Yeah I read it somewhere then tried it myself when a reddish hair dye turned out orange.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    you can buy a product from either boots or superdrug called colourb4. its what i use to take hair dye out of my hair. Hopefully that will work for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can buy colour correctors from Boots.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Bright red!?

edit: to clarify that only works with semi permanent colour im not sure if nice and easy is permanent?

I have used the Head the Shoulders trick , but I will say it does not come out in one go .Its took a good 6-7 washes for it to fade away
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    you can buy a product from either boots or superdrug called colourb4. its what i use to take hair dye out of my hair. Hopefully that will work for you.

We've just bought some of this in Wilkos before it shut! Wopped it on, hoping it works haha.

Thanks for all your advice guys :)
    I did tell her it might not be wise the day before she goes away :confused: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ColourB4 worked brilliantly when I tried to dye my over-bleached hair red. It went pink! I kept it for two weeks because it looked alright, then I used ColourB4 and it brought me back to my bleached blonde hair.

You've probably read the info on the leaflet, but in case you haven't, Colour B4 will only bring your hair back to the LIGHTEST it's been. It won't take your mum back to her natural colour. Most semi-permanent and permanent dyes still contain peroxide, which lightens your hair a bit as it's dying to create a brighter colour and helps the colour last. So your mum may come out a bit orangey rather than going back to brown. So don't be alarmed if this happens!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she can go to the hair dresser on holiday!
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fickrick wrote: »
    she can go to the hair dresser on holiday!

Depends where she's going, surely?

OP, how has she got on?
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bright red!?

That's not true. I used to colour my hair myself using semi-permanant colouring and I used Head & Shoulders every time I washed my hair without it taking the colour off
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's semi-permanent, there should be no problem with popping another, darker dye on top - did the same thing when I was about fifteen when I dyed my hair with a demi-permanent pink dye over the holidays, before realising that it probably wouldn't go down too well at school...

I think the ColourB4 is probably the best way to go, though.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    How's it gone?
  • Options
    Dolly_DimpleDolly_Dimple Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not true.
    All you need is a pre-lightner kit and the colour will come out. Your hair will then be light enough, sometimes it will go blonde if you already have light hair, to put your regular colour over straight away.
    Superdrug and Morrisons do a good one at a good price.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true.
    All you need is a pre-lightner kit and the colour will come out. Your hair will then be light enough, sometimes it will go blonde if you already have light hair, to put your regular colour over straight away.
    Superdrug and Morrisons do a good one at a good price.

You would have to know what you are doing!
  • Options
    Dolly_DimpleDolly_Dimple Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would have to know what you are doing!
    Trust me, i do. ;)
    Most women who are literate and follow the instructions to the letter, rarely get it wrong.