Cash gifts at weddings.

Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
Forum Member
A friend of mine is going to a wedding and hasn't a clue what to get the bride and groom as they've had their own house for a few years so have all the essentials. I suggested cash and she looked a bit horrified and said 'oh no, I'd never give a cash present'.

While I think explicitely asking for cash on wedding invitations is not on, I don't see anything wrong with guests voluntarily giving a gift cheque as a present, particularly nowadays when very few newly wed couples are twenty year olds leaving home for the first time and in need of all the household basics.

Anyone else have a problem with giving a cash gift?

Comments

• 1965Wolf1965Wolf Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in the least, for some people it can be the best form of gift.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the good-old traditional caginess about money kicks in here. If you give a gift it can have 'sentimental value', and people don't like to put a number on how much they like somebody, or how much they can afford. I gave cash to my friend at her wedding (she didn't put it on invitations, and only let people know when they asked her directly). It saved me paying out for something I didn't like but they wanted, or finding something myself.

I'm running the gift list for my sister's wedding on Saturday, and instead of a registered list of gifts, I'm managing a group gift of a full set of camping gear. It does seem that a lot of people would rather pay for a specific 'thing' rather than just throw some money their way and let them do what they like.
  • fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, how much do you give though? I have been to lots of weddings where they ask for cash and I never know how much to give.... I also had a problem where a very wealthy bloke who owns 2 Hotels 4 pubs and shops sent us a list from an exclusive store, the cheapest thing on there was a photo frame at over £100.
  • collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asking for a money gift is very common on invitations these days.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An M&S voucher is always a welcome gift?

I would say amount depends on how well you know couple?

£20 for friends and distant relatives, £50 for close family members?
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    At Pakistani weddings, you always give cash. Depending on how close you are to the bride or groom depends on how much you give. If your brother/sister/niece/nephew is getting married you are looking at £1000. All the way down to family friend who will give £20. There is no set amount, if you get on as a family, you will tend to give more. If its an only child you tend to give a bit more. If its the childs second wedding, the parents would normally insist you dont give anything, unless they are greedy feckers. However if you do give money, it wont be at the 'full rate'...maybe a £100/£50 (token gesture) where you may have given a £1000 at the first wedding.

If you are good friends with the bride/groom, you may buy them a present...but thats mainly close friends.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    An M&S voucher is always a welcome gift?

I would say amount depends on how well you know couple?

£20 for friends and distant relatives, £50 for close family members?

I wouldnt give M&S vouchers to a Muslim couple. Not with M&S's reputation and dealings.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    At a Greek Cypriot wedding I went to years ago, the guests pinned money onto the brides veil/dress .......fantastic idea.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    collit wrote: »
    Asking for a money gift is very common on invitations these days.

I know it is. But I don't realy like it. I know a lot of people would give a cash gift anyway, but some people might not be able to afford to spend much and find it very embarassing. They would prefer to buy something in a sale or recycle a gift they've been given that hand over a cheque that they feel might look 'mean' in comparison to other guests' cheques.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The past few weddings Ive been to cash was the preferred gift. My aunt who got married requested cash as they were in the middle of doing up their kitchen and used it for that. 2 friends got married and both had cash for whatever they wanted. A work colleague in the invitation sent a little poem saying they didn't really want anything apart from our presence on the day which I thought was nice, still stuck money in though!

It doesn't bother me giving cash, especially if they are pooling it together something big like my aunt did and paid for the kitchen. I think cash is more informal and there's no set rules. I recall my uncle getting married years back and having a wedding list but it was an expensive wedding list, it puts pressure on people to spend more than they would.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At a Greek Cypriot wedding I went to years ago, the guests pinned money onto the brides veil/dress .......fantastic idea.

Gah, sorry, but I hate this! If anyone comes near me with a pin on my wedding day then they're getting a fork in the leg.

Sorry, overreaction I know, but my mum bleats on about this idea even though we're not remotely Greek Cypriot.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to the wedding of an acquaintance a few years back and all the guests gave a cash gift, I believe the intention was to help pay a deposit on the couples first home.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Gah, sorry, but I hate this! If anyone comes near me with a pin on my wedding day then they're getting a fork in the leg.

Sorry, overreaction I know, but my mum bleats on about this idea even though we're not remotely Greek Cypriot.

What?Even if there's a hefty wad attached to it?;)
    '
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinning money to the dress is customary in many countries.

Think about it from your own point of view. Would you rather someone gave you cash to help with the cost of the wedding / honeymoon, or would you rather receive some random tat that people guestimate you want?

People these days have everything they want from a material perspective. What with the cost of weddings as it is, i'd say you couldn't go far wrong with a cash gift. Just gife what you can, it's the thought that counts after all...

...think of it as payment for your meal!
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I went to the wedding of an acquaintance a few years back and all the guests gave a cash gift, I believe the intention was to help pay a deposit on the couples first home.

Or they could put it towards the divorce fund.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At our wedding in April we never asked for anything. on the day quite a few people brought cash though- friends gave us £20 or £30 whilst family gave us more - it all went on food and drink on our honeymoon!
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy to give cash or vouchers. I don't get embarassed by the amount - I give what I can afford. If the couple had a wedding list and there was something I could afford then I would buy that instead. I wouldn't go and choose something myself though, I don't see the point. The chances are they might not like or need what I have chosen for them and that would be a waste of my money.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that's why Greek and Italian wives are so big. you can pin more money on to them. :)

it 's a joke!
    Forum Member
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have heard of wedding invites including bank details and lines like 'cash not trash'. I would be tempted to give someone like that an aynsley china vase.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the couple should be grateful for what they get. While happy that they are getting married, good for them and want a party with guests there, fine, it often costs people money to go to a wedding, sometimes having to fork out for outfits and travel. I think a list is very cheeky, I hate this whole wedding business culture, it's so over the top and extravagant.
    Gifts were to help people set up house, hardly relevant today.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At Italian weddings you always have to give cash and in fact at most of them you have to give your money before you get into the reception! Then the bride and groom spend most of the reception behind the scenes gloating over all the cash. Not nice.
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I think the couple should be grateful for what they get. While happy that they are getting married, good for them and want a party with guests there, fine, it often costs people money to go to a wedding, sometimes having to fork out for outfits and travel. I think a list is very cheeky, I hate this whole wedding business culture, it's so over the top and extravagant.
    Gifts were to help people set up house, hardly relevant today.

I do feel a bit :( when I see wedding lists full of expensive juicers, crystal wine glasses, and Nespresso machines. Hardly life's essentials and not really how the whole wedding list thing started out. Especially when the guests may also be expected to travel to some out of the way location and stay overnight because the B&G want to get married in a picturesque castle. That, on top of an outfit and the present means going to a wedding can cost hundreds of quid nowadays.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next wedding i go my gift to the happy couple will be dinosaur erotica.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    I wouldnt give M&S vouchers to a Muslim couple. Not with M&S's reputation and dealings.

Why on earth not? There's a new M&S food hall just been built in one of the malls here in Jeddah (pork products excluded of course) - its very popular.