Channel 5 Titanic documentary....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
Forum Member
Any thoughts? It was interesting but too much going over old ground (no pun intended) when more footage of the wreck would have been better.

Comments

• ready2watchready2watch Posts: 3,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any thoughts? It was interesting but too much going over old ground (no pun intended) when more footage of the wreck would have been better.

There was another one? :eek: i only watched one last week on the history channel, wow these people are really making loads of money on the titanic, what a publicity this ship is getting, my god this ship gets more publicity then John Lennon and he was also famous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    Yeah exactly, and it's rarely anything new to the subject...I'm really into all things Titanic and find most of these programmes quite tedious lol. The one last night was interesting as it was suggesting the ship sunk differently from what was previously thought, but there wasn't enough on this.
  • MurkMurk Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it because im also interested in Titanic but i also found it quite tedious also because all these sort of programmes go over the same thing, yes it did say about it sinking a different way but they cant really prove it and i suppose next year it will sink differently
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have the servivors ever said how it sank surely researchers into how it sank just need to ask servivors how it happend ? lol not many servivors around to tell the tale now but they all must of left alot of info on what happened over the years.
  • BringBackThamesBringBackThames Posts: 3,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it did phenomenally in the ratings. :)

2.2 million for a show at 8pm (must be one of their highest ever audiences for a show at that time)

That will probably be in the Five top 10 for the week when the final BARB's come out! :cool:
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bekko2006 wrote:
    Have the servivors ever said how it sank surely researchers into how it sank just need to ask servivors how it happend ? lol not many servivors around to tell the tale now but they all must of left alot of info on what happened over the years.

All the survivors who actually have memories of the incident are dead now. The remaining ones were less than a year old at the time of the disaster.

The wreck was found 73 years after the sinking so by the time people were discussing it and investigating up these theories, there were'n't all that many survivors left anyway.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it did phenomenally in the ratings. :)

2.2 million for a show at 8pm (must be one of their highest ever audiences for a show at that time)

That will probably be in the Five top 10 for the week when the final BARB's come out! :cool:

I wish I'd been in to see it . I hope they repeat sometime soon.
  • Dead ParrotDead Parrot Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bekko2006 wrote:

As the previous poster said, there isn't anyone alive now who remembers the sinking. And even when there was, there was many contradictory stories surrounding the sinking, not least on the subject of whether the ship sank in one piece or not. Don't forget that before the wreck was found, it was considered by most that the ship sank in one piece. And even now, we cannot be sure exactly how the ship broke apart, although it probably wasn't how James Cameron showed it. The only real certainty is that the ship broke apart at, or very close to the surface, because the bow and stern sections are a good 2000ft apart, and facing in opposite directions.
  • JippedJipped Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed the programme. But as usual in these type of documentaries there was too much drama being inserted (weather closing in, restricted number of dives ..etc). It would have been nice to have seen a purely factual show on this for a change.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote:
    All the survivors who actually have memories of the incident are dead now. The remaining ones were less than a year old at the time of the disaster.

The wreck was found 73 years after the sinking so by the time people were discussing it and investigating up these theories, there were'n't all that many survivors left anyway.

In the earlier days of it happening though would they not of had inquests into what and how it happened, I would of thought servivors would of said what happened and would it not of been recorded for future refferance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    One survivor at the time (i think it was jack thayer) drew a picture of the titanic sinking from what he saw from a lifeboat, and he showed it breaking up, but the authorities i guess chose to believe people like lawrence beesley who said he didn't break in two.

So even back then thier was contradicting reports
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My grandmother emigrated to Canada when she was 18.
    She hated it and & it took her 3 years to save the money for her ticket home.
    She fancied returning on the Titanic when it sailed back to Blighty............
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2.2 million viewers you say! Wow how amazing, back in 1986 EastEnders only got 30 million! :p
  • BringBackThamesBringBackThames Posts: 3,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iheartme wrote:
    2.2 million viewers you say! Wow how amazing,
    Actually, for Five at 8pm on a Tuesday evening, it is. ;)
    I'll bet they've only ever beaten 2.2 mill on a normal Tues at 8o'clock a handful of times in nearly 10 years! ;)
  • Rocket RomanoRocket Romano Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, for Five at 8pm on a Tuesday evening, it is. ;)
    I'll bet they've only ever beaten 2.2 mill on a normal Tues at 8o'clock a handful of times in nearly 10 years! ;)

It's good ratings, considering their big guns normally go out at 9pm or 10pm

Back to the Titanic. I was reading a discussion on the Titanic on the pages of Harvard University and they were talking about 'ownership' rights of the vessel.

They posed 2 questions,

1) Does the Titanic and its potential treasures remain property of the shipping company

2) If the Titanic were to be raised, who would object? There's nothing to stop a multi-million dollar project raising the vessel, morals or not

I doubt either are likely
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah there been that many shows on the Titanic there not really much new to learn about it, but ever since i saw the movie i have become very intrested in the unsinkable ship :D
  • Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they keep going back to Titanic again and again and again and.......... :yawn:

Yes,it's haunting and historic,but it's been done to death.Same with Loch Ness,was there a monster blah blah.... :mad:

Personally,I think that the Loch Ness monster sank the Titanic.Let them all rest in peace,please. :sleep:
  • SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was just a very unfortunate accident. Its sister ship the Olympic had some revisions done to it after the sinking and carried on for another 20+ years, and I believe it even rammed and sunk a U-Boat in WW1
  • Claire_albaClaire_alba Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe its just because its alway fascinated me coming from a harbour town (yes even before they made the inaccurate Leonardo di Capprio version!) but the Titanic and what happened to it changed maritime history big style. So many changes were made to the way ships ran and safety measures not to mention how ships were built afterwards.

No-one knows what happened in its final moments and its like any event in history that is 'unknown' - people thirst to find out what happened - just think of the Mary Rose!

RR I believe there is an international agreement that no country will ever try to claim ownership over the Titanic and that would prevent anyone trying to raise it or claim the lost 'treasures' as their own

It was an unfortunate accident Spruce - but one that many could argue was fuelled by arrogance