Options

Children in Need single on commercial radio

PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do any of the stations mention it's for Children in Need? It's only playlisted on one station I listen to, and they never mention the charity connection.

Yet when Simon Cowell brings out a charity single, the DJs always hype up the connection.

Comments

• Options
    east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm aware - it doesn't get mentioned. The difference between that and The X Factor is when SyCo release a charity single it's branded "The X Factor Finalists" instead of actually done by mainstream pop artists like JLS.

Heart will probably big it up quite a bit due to the connection between TXF and Global.
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children In Need is a BBC initiative.

Some commercial radio managing directors in the past have simply refused to play it because it was "a bloody BBC song".
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children In Need is a BBC initiative.

Some commercial radio managing directors in the past have simply refused to play it because it was "a bloody BBC song".

Let's just say that the BBC's attitude to The Wanted has a little more moral justification ring about it. ;)
  • Options
    Media PrincessMedia Princess Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Do any of the stations mention it's for Children in Need? It's only playlisted on one station I listen to, and they never mention the charity connection.

Yet when Simon Cowell brings out a charity single, the DJs always hype up the connection.

I think what you'll find is that most commercial radio stations have a dedicated charity they raise money for annually, in our area we have Clyde and Forth with "Cash For Kids" and Real with "Bring A Pound To Work Day" to mention one or two, these raise cash for local charities around the regions.

To promote the Children In Need single on these stations could give the listeners the opportunity to opt to put their money into the BBC rather than into local charities.......

That's why you'll hardly hear it mentioned on commercial radio stations......
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what you'll find is that most commercial radio stations have a dedicated charity they raise money for annually, in our area we have Clyde and Forth with "Cash For Kids" and Real with "Bring A Pound To Work Day" to mention one or two, these raise cash for local charities around the regions.

To promote the Children In Need single on these stations could give the listeners the opportunity to opt to put their money into the BBC rather than into local charities.......

That's why you'll hardly hear it mentioned on commercial radio stations......

I hardly think that buying a single is going to have much impact on the local charities and Children in Need does distribute their funds to small local charities so quite likely that some of your local charities get support from them. Also the fee for playing the recording on air will go to the charity rather than lining the pockets of someone like Simon Cowell.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just love the thought of commercial programmers torn about whether to play a JLS song!
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I hardly think that buying a single is going to have much impact on the local charities and Children in Need does distribute their funds to small local charities so quite likely that some of your local charities get support from them. Also the fee for playing the recording on air will go to the charity rather than lining the pockets of someone like Simon Cowell.

Though all proceeds for the X Factor cahrity single go to Help for Heroes.

The JLS song is currently on fairly high rotation on a whole host of stations and brands. Whether they mention it's for CIN or not makes no difference - it's number one, a lot of people have bought it, and the charity has benefited as a result.
  • Options
    Media PrincessMedia Princess Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »

Agreed, buying the single isn't going to impact that much, it does however impact if the people decide to make a donation to Children In Need rather than the appeal being run by your local radio station...
    Mentioning Children In Need on commercial radio gives the indication the station is backing that appeal rather than it's locally run appeal therefor monies that would normally be donated through the radio stations would be donated to the BBC's appeal.....
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Or, alternatively, people would give a tenner to each charity.

Actually I'm quite impressed that some commercial stations are still running charity appeals. Of course they're a far cry from those cheesy all weekend auctions we used to enjoy/endure. But good on those stations for at leats having some sense of social resposibility.