Snow Watch 2010/11 Season

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I'm travelling on the 22nd December by train from Newcastle as i mentioned earlier and i'm quite concerned, hoping that i'll get away.
    Ian.

Hope you'll be okay, wrap up warm!
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    Hope you'll be okay, wrap up warm!
    I've got a taxi booked that Wednesday morning and where i'm going to stay with my cousin in the West Midlands, they've had no snow at all. They are dead lucky!! I'll be pleased to get there, if just to have a spell away from the snow.
    Ian.
  • Bunk MorelandBunk Moreland Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skiing down a hill on a sofa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2JxJicEoL0

Looks like fun :D:D:D
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    Despite some of the dire reports of the weather for christmas week in the press, on my local BBC radio station, Radio Newcastle, a girl from the Newcastle Met Office said that early indications for that week where sunny but very cold, but she added it was to soon to be certain that far ahead.
    Ian.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i hope it pisses with rain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    i hope it pisses with rain

me too!:D
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Something I haven't seen for what feels like weeks ...

Outside my window there was an icicle forming about 6pm. Looked out half an hour ago, no icicle.
    Usually it gets colder as the night goes on - tonight it's going the opposite way!

This is the start of the mild week, (no minus degree temp overnight, but 2 degrees the lowest temp all week) where hopefully most of the snow will go. I can see parts of my garden now (part of the path) I haven't seen for 2 weeks cos it's been under 6 inches of snow, but patches of it have melted completely.
  • electronelectron Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just wanted to say I feel so sorry for you guys where the snow is bad - blimey it sounds bloody terrible!
    I feel guilty for moaning about the cold temps in a snow free Clapham - we dont have anything to moan about!
    Hope it warms up a little for you guys x

Thank you, it just seems that people down south tend to say "Snow I wish we had some" and never realise what it is like when it persists day after day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Something I haven't seen for what feels like weeks ...

Outside my window there was an icicle forming about 6pm. Looked out half an hour ago, no icicle.
    Usually it gets colder as the night goes on - tonight it's going the opposite way!

This is the start of the mild week, (no minus degree temp overnight, but 2 degrees the lowest temp all week) where hopefully most of the snow will go. I can see parts of my garden now (part of the path) I haven't seen for 2 weeks cos it's been under 6 inches of snow, but patches of it have melted completely.

It reached a balmy +3 this afternoon after a chilly -17 overnight and the snow and ice melted off the car. I've turned the heating off tonight:):)

Still have at least a foot of snow around but some black stuff was seen on the road today, what bliss.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    electron wrote: »
    Thank you, it just seems that people down south tend to say "Snow I wish we had some" and never realise what it is like when it persists day after day.
    We had 10 days of it in January, hard packed rutted snow on the main roads for a week and the side streets snow covered for all 10 days. Some places down south had it for longer than that and much deeper than here on the coast.

Only a few days of it last week though here, but we know what it's like. We've still got plenty of snow piles and snowmen left over from last week, just to remind us! Some places I am sure missed out, but not most of us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thaw is so depressing. :( I hope it will start to snow again very soon. :) Please God, make it snow again. Thank you very much, from Amy_S.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Major thaw going on outside... The whole place looks like we've been invaded with jellyfish from the deep:eek:
  • Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy_S wrote: »
    This thaw is so depressing. :( I hope it will start to snow again very soon. :) Please God, make it snow again. Thank you very much, from Amy_S.

Amy your a heathen,
    A pestilence of six unruly children will befall you, and your heating will breakdown over Christmas.
    But you can be saved.
    Repent!
    Repent I say!!:p:D
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A brilliant sight when I opened my curtains a few minutes ago!

Green grass, black tarmac and no bloody snow or frost anywhere!! Long may it last!!
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Having walked outside I noticed it is still very slippy in some parts where the ice is really packed in. It's starting to melt from the parts that have been cleared but as it's 2 inches of solid ice, a bit of freezing and it's like an ice rink in some parts, but that was before 9 this morning so hopefully as the day goes on more melts.
    But as it IS solid ice two inches thick, that'd take time to melt anyway.

The roads round here are perfectly clear, so walking on the road is the quickest way of getting around on foot!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was (disappointingly) the fastest thaw I've ever seen. Please God, make it start snowing again.
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Saw on the ITV News today the guy trying to break ice off cable that ran along his guttering and down come all the snow off the roof. lol.... Been looking on Youtube for the clip, can't find it though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    Saw on the ITV News today the guy trying to break ice off cable that ran along his guttering and down come all the snow off the roof. lol.... Been looking on Youtube for the clip, can't find it though...

You mean this one?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2a9_1291902958
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    jon8769 wrote: »
    That's one... :D thanks..
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard today that Paris was brought to a virtual standstill with snow on Wednesday (8/12). It seems to have missed our TV news, presumably because of the uni fees debate which was, after all, more important.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11951703
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    Are we due to get more snow?
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we due to get more snow?

Quite likely. It will certainly be cold enough.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Major thaw going on here - thank god!

However, ScotRail are still having "train and point failures, on average, every 6 minutes" so I will not be travelling anywhere anytime soon!
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a lot of thawing here too, it's great! My road is still impassable though until we either get out and dig (I'm not digging the whole road! And apparently none of the other neighbours will either) or if it melts considerably more. I haven't been out in the car since Monday of last week, and I'm getting fed up! I have had enough of shopping only at the corner shop, and I really need to start getting some Christmas shopping done. I am determined to get out tomorrow.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    I'm expecting a major snow event from next Thurs onwards. Not much to speak about until then
This discussion has been closed.