Options

Why is london slipping down the league table of worlds best cities?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew up there and can see why.

- no character (like a lot of european cities)
    -tonnes of immigrants thieving/ripping you off
    -poverty (inc. agressive homeless)
    -rubbish transport system
    -natives that would glare at you if you said good morning

- I think it has loads of character. St Pauls, Westminster, Camden, Little Venice, bloody Westminister Abbey!
    -xenophobic nonsense. As an immigrant on a decent wage, I've never theived nor ripped anyone off. As a matter of fact, the only time I ever had my house broken into, it's the Brits wot done it.
    -All cities have poverty, London's isn't much worse than other places I've been, though the homeless guy who pestered us in Amsterdam was just funny. I've never had any bother from a homeless person.
    -transport system works just fine for me, when there isn't a strike. Wish the tube ran longer into the night though. In my home city, one north/south line and one east/west line runs all night.
    -My neighbours say good morning to me. I've had several hot guys offer me help when I had a heavy suitcase-- all with London accents. I don't get this shit that people say that Londoners are ruder than others. It's a massive city where people are busy, not some quaint village green.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London has no character? I've heard it all now.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest, which cities have better public transport than London?
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll actually be moving back into London in the new year. Moved out of it about five years ago, parents wanted to downsize, but now they need to get a bigger house, so I'll be going back with them.

I do miss London at times, but I'm still fairly near by it, and get to visit it pretty frequently.

London can be a friendly city, but I think sometimes people have unrealistic expectations of it.
  • Options
    DavidCHDavidCH Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because in many parts it has become third world like. Take Southall, it's an absolute pit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a surprise yet another London bashing thread here on DS ~London bashing seems to be a popular past time on here and should anybody dare defend it they get slated too!!.

I love London I have lived here all my life I love the people,Historic buildings,sports,theatres and music halls,nightlife restaurants,shopping .

It is a really great place which of course has it's faults just like every other city in the world which if you believed some posters on here are a utopia compared to London :mad: .

Sorry don't usually make angry posts but this thread pissed me off today .
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i loathe london, noisy, dirty, crowded and full of rude people.
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Probably because:

- it's expensive
    - it's overcrowded
    - the tube is in dire need of upgrading
    - people are rude
    - hotels totally rip you off if you're not careful
    - it's dirty

On the plus side though:

- it's vibrant
    - there is a lot to do culturally
    - each part of London has its own personality
    - it's where the work is
    - salaries are generally good.

I wonder what the vibe would be about a "what do you hate about Manchester / Liverpool / Edinburgh" type thread :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really dislike the people are rude tag about London!! there are rude people everywhere ,I recently stayed in Liverpool and they were some of the rudest unfriendliest people I have ever encountered :mad: .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LucyKay18 wrote: »
    London has no character? I've heard it all now.

Joke isn't it ! ~ I wonder if some who slag off London have even been there or they just jump on bandwagon of slagging it off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BluseyLou wrote: »
    Joke isn't it ! ~ I wonder if some who slag off London have even been there or they just jump on bandwagon of slagging it off.

in a thread titled "why is london slipping down the league table of worlds best cities" people are surely going to express negative opinions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in a thread titled "why is london slipping down the league table of worlds best cities" people are surely going to express negative opinions.

I understand that ~what pissess me off is the Rude tag I really hate that ,the dirty tag I hate that too and the expensive tag .

And it feels like it is a crime on here to defend the place.

MANY MANY cities around the world have these problems and worse too.

Two examples:

Paris ~ Dirty and rude

Venice ~Dirty and expensive
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BluseyLou wrote: »
    I understand that ~what pissess me off is the Rude tag I really hate that ,the dirty tag I hate that too and the expensive tag .

And it feels like it is a crime on here to defend the place.

MANY MANY cities around the world have these problems and worse too.

Two examples:

Paris ~ Dirty and rude

Venice ~Dirty and expensive
    yes, and the city i live near is no better (cambridge) than london, expensive, rude people, dirty and crowded, my point was that this is about london, not cities generally.

i`m a yokel, i hate them all.
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidCH wrote: »
    Because in many parts it has become third world like. Take Southall, it's an absolute pit.

Of course... no one visits London any more because 10 miles from the centre there's a suburb with a high concentration of immigrants?!?

Could just be me, but you're beginning to sound a bit desperate... :D
  • Options
    mickbirch2000mickbirch2000 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London has become irrelevant to me, I only live 100 miles away but will no longer pay ridiculous travel cost.
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London has become irrelevant to me, I only live 100 miles away but will no longer pay ridiculous travel cost.

Brilliant, the fewer people we have here, the better :p
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Take a walk around Tower Hamlets or Newham and you'll see why. Absolute shitholes.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

With Oyster I'd say travel in London is pretty cheap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »
    Take a walk around Tower Hamlets or Newham and you'll see why. Absolute shitholes.

Don't all major cities have areas like this? LA, New York, Paris etc. It's not just London you know.

Those who are saying London is expensive, full of rude people (erm they are not just exclusive to London you know!), no character (WTH? :confused:) and rubbish transport - the same can be said about many other popular/big cities in the world.

I have lived in London all my life and yes it has its bad points but its good points most likely outweigh all other cities in the UK.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »

There are areas in New York and L.A. you wouldn't even be able to walk around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because London is the only one i've been on that has platforms so far from the entrances. Plus there is the heat as well.

The underground was built privately by mulitple companies and most lines had their own seperate stations in the centre, you had to leave one line's station and walk at street level to the other line's station. Eventually though various mergers the lines came under common ownership in 1913 and then were Nationalised in 1933, only then did they start connecting the seperate stations.

A good example is Charing Cross station with a very long walk between Bakerloo and Northern Lines. Originally they were two seperate stations. Trafalger Square on the Bakerloo and Charing Cross on the Northern. A subway link was built between the two stations when the Jubilee line was built and Trafalger Square became part of the expanded Charing Cross station. Hence if you enter at the wrong end you have a long walk...
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Out of interest, which cities have better public transport than London?

Copenhagen
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    The underground was built privately by mulitple companies and most lines had their own seperate stations in the centre, you had to leave one line's station and walk at street level to the other line's station. Eventually though various mergers the lines came under common ownership in 1913 and then were Nationalised in 1933, only then did they start connecting the seperate stations.

A good example is Charing Cross station with a very long walk between Bakerloo and Northern Lines. Originally they were two seperate stations. Trafalger Square on the Bakerloo and Charing Cross on the Northern. A subway link was built between the two stations when the Jubilee line was built and Trafalger Square became part of the expanded Charing Cross station. Hence if you enter at the wrong end you have a long walk...

And bearing in mind that the Charing Cross Jubilee Line station was closed as part of the Jubilee Line extension to Stratford.

However, there is a proposal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Light_Railway#Victoria.2FCharing_Cross_extension
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I grew up there and can see why.

- no character (like a lot of european cities)
    -tonnes of immigrants thieving/ripping you off
    -poverty (inc. agressive homeless)
    -rubbish transport system
    -natives that would glare at you if you said good morning

I have lived in London my entire life (save a few years in Bristol for university) and though some of the negative comments on this thread have been fair, I cannot see how anyone is able to say that London has no character! Nor indeed say the same about 'lots of European cities'.

If you believe there is no character here, I challenge you to take a second look: from the modern sky scrapers in Canaray Wharf, to the historical old City of London with stops in Dickensian Clerkenwell, Brick Lane, Greenwich, Camden and about 70% of the rest of the rest of the city (including Southall David CH). You can find anything in London because it is truly a multicultural city that successfully incorporated many cultures without losing its identity or history.

I don't know all of London, but I enjoy finding little gems tucked away in various corners when I'm least expecting it.

I actually agree with none of you points, but can't be bothered to respond to each in turn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I visited London about four weeks ago for the first time in 12 years. In the meantime, I've visited about 80 countries and seen literally hundreds of diverse cities from New York to Brisbane, Pyongyang to Tokyo, Moscow to Rio, Addis Ababa to Barcelona... the list is endless! I generally find a lot of the "cleaner" cities (Singapore, KL, most of Australia) to be completely devoid of any kind of excitement or vitality that makes a city great.

And I have to say that I enjoyed London thoroughly. I found the prices very reasonable (much cheaper than other western European cities) and the sights amongst the best in the world.

Show me another city where I can spend a day at museums of the quality of the National Gallery, Science Museum, V&A, British Museum, National Portait Gallery, and Tate Modern - all completely free. And fascinating neighbourhoods, wonderfully historic bars, and great restaurants just added to this.

I will be returning in a few weeks and intend making it a regular trip from now on!