Time for ITV "This Morning" resignations

123457»

Comments

• fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine the rest of ITV are very pissed off - DC isn't going to be in a rush to go on any ITV programs any time soon, so other brands, such as Daybreak, will suffer when it's nothing to do with them
  • drwhorudrwhoru Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Re-Minder wrote: »
    You are a very uptight divisive person, always with the BBC fanboys rubbish. If you cannot see that this was an epic fail on the part of TM and that silver haired moron then i pity you. Feel free to have a hissy fit now.

ITV and the silver haired moron being sued by the lord will be a joy to watch.

epic fail, are you thirteen?

other questions:

why the strong feelings towards phillip schofield?

why would a lord want to sue him?

what is the basis of this legal action?

how are planning on watching the legal action unfold?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The basis for suing him is that he displayed a list of alleged ''paedophiles'' which included Lord McAlpine. As it is accepted the good lord is not a paedophile that was clearly libellous and very damaging to his lordship's standing in society. The law says that merits a payment to compensate.One assumes if anyone on the programme had bothered to consult a lawyer he/she would have advised against it. But then is This Morning actually a journalistic programme ? As it merited a payment of £185,000 plus expenses from the BBC, where McAlpine said he was conscious the licence payer would end up paying, it is presumably worth a lot more from ITV where the advertisers end up paying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It's a disgrace, but sadly Phil is too important to be sacked. I hope he makes another blunder and gets dismissed as he is no Robin Day, just a presenter of sub standard game shows and a morning show that is well past its best.
    But as long as we all remember that this well past its best morning showhas one presenter who is blameless ;)
  • drwhorudrwhoru Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    The basis for suing him is that he displayed a list of alleged ''paedophiles'' which included Lord McAlpine. As it is accepted the good lord is not a paedophile that was clearly libellous and very damaging to his lordship's standing in society. The law says that merits a payment to compensate.One assumes if anyone on the programme had bothered to consult a lawyer he/she would have advised against it. But then is This Morning actually a journalistic programme ? As it merited a payment of £185,000 plus expenses from the BBC, where McAlpine said he was conscious the licence payer would end up paying, it is presumably worth a lot more from ITV where the advertisers end up paying.

was the list visible?

is there a legal defence to say that he made it clear that it was a list of people who have been accused on the internet, probably not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parts of the list were visible which is why McAlpine is taking legal action against ITV. He is also taking action against all sorts of people over Twitter allegations, not least the wife of the Speaker of the House of Commons. The laws of libel apply equally to social networks - if you publish the allegation to more than one other person it's libel.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But as long as we all remember that this well past its best morning showhas one presenter who is blameless ;)

Holly, a young woman who is starting prove herself as a presenter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had been thinking "Stupid Schofield" but now part of me wonders how much of the blame he should shoulder. As a mere presenter how much control does he have over his material? Are the production team up all night putting together heart wrenching stories about cats with leukemia for him to front, or does he have the authority to act as an unofficial deputy editor, proposing stories he likes, vetoing ones that don't fit his image?

At the very least he could have had the backbone to say he wanted nothing to do with ambushing one of the few people who ought to stay outside of any involvement in police investigations (percieved political pressure, impartiality of supervision and inquiries).

Having agreed to do it he should have been aware he was playing with dynamite and taken care not to flash names. Lord McAlpine has said the public hatred was "terrifying" and he is not even in the UK. It won't all go away either, there are a lot of thick people around.

Unless it was entirely his idea the production team should share the blame.

The disciplinary action should not be hidden behind veil of secrecy. Personal extenuating circumstances are different, but the details of punishments should be published. That's how it works for footballers, rugby stars and police officers, why should employees of a public company with a public franchise whose offence was in public be different?

Which part of the Ofcom code was broken? A quick look suggests section 2 (Harm and Offence) rule 2.3 (material must be justified by context - libel is not justified, not is content that could result in beatings or death threats), section 3 (Crime) rule 3.1 (lead to disorder), rule 3.6 (endanger lives), section 5 (Due Impartiality), rule 5.1 (due accuracy and impartiality - broadcasting names is taking a side), 5.2 (acknowlege mistakes quickly), rule 5.5 (due impartiality on matters of controversy), 5.11 (same), 5.12 (wide range of views), section 7 (Fairness) rule 7.1 (unfair treatment of individuals - could prejudice a jury), rule 7.11 (opportunity to respond to allegations), 7.14 (contribution obtained by deception - ambush PM), section 8 (Privacy) rule 8.1 (infringement of privacy - widely publishing and giving weight to obscure allegations).
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    drwhoru wrote: »
    was the list visible?

is there a legal defence to say that he made it clear that it was a list of people who have been accused on the internet, probably not.

Sky news thought it was visible enough for them to have a need to black it out when doing a report on the situation so I guess it must have been.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

What silly questions to ask, do you not know of this case?
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holly, a young woman who is starting prove herself as a presenter.

Really? When exactly was that?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? When exactly was that?

The Voice, Surprise Surprise, both successful shows, and also a winning personality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Voice, Surprise Surprise, both successful shows, and also a winning personality.
    Thats your opinion of course, in fact you have stated it across this thread a number of times, we know you think highly of Holly.

Holly is an OK presenter, not bad on This Morning, OK on The Voice but pretty dire on Surprise, Surprise in my opinion. I just laugh when I have seen on this thread a number of times how blameless she is, its like we have to be told that in case she gets tarred with the same brush as Phillip and loses her job - she wont! Also we dont know how blameless she is, she may well have been sat at the computer with Phil adding names to the list but he was the one who presented it!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mail is reporting that McAlpine's lawyers will be seeking damages from ITV substantially higher than the £185,000 agreed with the BBC. The Mail quotes a figure of "up to £500,000".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2234756/Lord-McAlpine-suing-ITV-500k-lawyers-pursue-10k-Twitter-users-wrongly-linking-child-abuse-scandal.html
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fairy_ wrote: »
    I imagine the rest of ITV are very pissed off - DC isn't going to be in a rush to go on any ITV programs any time soon, so other brands, such as Daybreak, will suffer when it's nothing to do with them

Politicians need to get their message across and TV is the best way of addressing the public. The Tories have a problem with female voters who often see the party as uncaring. Day time TV is the best means of doing that. Whatever Cameron feels about This Morning and Philip Scofield, it will make no difference to him appearing on the prog because he needs to do so.

By the way, before going in to politics Cameron worked for ITV, not that makes any difference.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The Mail is reporting that McAlpine's lawyers will be seeking damages from ITV substantially higher than the £185,000 agreed with the BBC. The Mail quotes a figure of "up to £500,000".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2234756/Lord-McAlpine-suing-ITV-500k-lawyers-pursue-10k-Twitter-users-wrongly-linking-child-abuse-scandal.html

Has the Heil demanded that heads should roll at ITV yet??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Has it declared it has a financial interest in ITV ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    ITV is not spelt B B C ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It has been reported on the BBC News ticker 9and on the One O'clock News):
    Lord McAlpine reaches £125,000 settlement with ITV and Phillip Schofield over This Morning broadcast
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been reported on the BBC News ticker 9and on the One O'clock News):

It seems to me in terms of the level of wrongdoing, ITV should have had to pay more than the BBC. The original figure that was bandied about was he was seeking £500,000.

Maybe he can make up the difference from Sally Bercow.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    It seems to me in terms of the level of wrongdoing, ITV should have had to pay more than the BBC. The original figure that was bandied about was he was seeking £500,000.

Maybe he can make up the difference from Sally Bercow.

Agreed, did the BBC actual name him themselves? I thought it was all done by others. They had a failure in their news operation which they apologised for immediately and are correcting.

The ITV case seemed deliberate and malicious to me, they took a long time to issue an apology. No heads have rolled.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This article says Alistair plans to donate settlements from Twitter users to BBC Children In Need:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20443186

:)

Hopefully he'll donate the money from ITV and the BBC too. :)
  • mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It staggers me to discover Philip Schofield and This Morning's editor (who has ultimate responsibility for the programme's actions) are yet to resign over Schofield ambushing the Prime Minister on live television, with a list of names about whom Internet rumours of paedophilia had been made without evidence.

The stunt would have been bad enough even if the list hadn't been caught on camera.

Hopefully ITV's morals will kick in at some point, but I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:

Indeed. I can't think of anything more stupid and reckless than Schofields action that I've seen on tv.
  • Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epic fail, are you thirteen?

other questions:

I love how you George attack the poster but never want to debate the posts, re-minder was spot on with his analysis and looking at his posting history as he is a tube driver then he is way past thirteen.

And as others have said he handed a list of names some of which were clear to see and I'd bet the Lords names was on it as why would ITV make a payout.

Schofieild is damaged goods, TM will eventually get rid of the liability, personally I don't like him either as I don't trust morons who hide behind super injunctions to protect their private life scandals.