Options

Jade Goody's doctor says 'she could have been saved'.

Comments

• Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Omah wrote: »
    Yeah, another one for the gravy train ..... :eek:

She's either retired or about to retire so she'll be wanting a pension boost, I guess ..... :rolleyes:

She has an agenda by the sounds of it, using the Jade story to get her foot in the door because she has a few axes to grind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That isn't true, I know someone who was told they needed a hysterectomy aged 18, because of severe endometriosis and multiple recurring cysts. She had never been given a smear test. To me it sounds like they didn't think Jade had cancer, just cysts etc which caused extreme pain.

The very fact that Jade visited hospital on so many occasions tells you that they obviously made a mistake. If they suspected cancer she would have been made well aware of it. I watched her show and they doctors on it were telling her it was bad cramp and period pains, etc. This was not long before she was diagnosed, when the tumour must already have been big. They made a mistake, they didn't think she had cancer. How people can blame Jade is ridiculous, I think.

It's about time people stopped looking to blame the doctors - Jade was unfortunately the victim of a terrible disease. Possibly if she had done as was requested of her she would still be here, people need to take responsibility for themselves, but she didn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Now Magazne, The Star and the like, are not good sources, in my opinion. The point is, by that point, they should not have been writing to her to come back. After 3 abnormal smears they should have investigated further and found the cancer. Also, it seems odd to me that they would merely send a 4th letter for the 4th abnormal smears, if they thought/knew it was cancer, then the protocol is that they phone the patient, not to tell them the news but to tell them to come to hospital. It is highly unusual to have even one abnormal smear and not be fully investigated, they failed her in not finding the tumour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jwprg... I actually am not blaming the doctors for her death, but my point is against those who are blaming Jade. My step father is a doctor, so I know all about the strain they are under, and what a wonderful job most of them do, but I also know about all the mistakes they make, and they did make a mistake here. Many people blame Jade for her own death, which I find very very sad.
  • Options
    OmahOmah Posts: 23,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now Magazne, The Star and the like, are not good sources, in my opinion.

So what's your source ?????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can the NHS possibly be blamed for Jade's own ignorance. She knew the dangers of ignoring those letters and it cost her her own life. How can Jade not take the blame when she knew what could happen?

No doctor or medical expert can force someone to attend an appointment but I'm sure they tried their hardest. For all we know they may have rung her but given she was out there doing what ever project they couldn't reach her. By her own admission she ignored it..the NHS are not to blame.
  • Options
    OmahOmah Posts: 23,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many people blame Jade for her own death, which I find very very sad.

Living on junk-food then foregoing exercise to undergo liposuction while taking massive doses of diet pills and laxatives, as Goody admitted she did, is not a healthy lifestyle .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jwprg... I actualy am not blaming the doctors for her death, but my point is against those who are blaming Jade. My step father is a doctor, so I know all about the strain they are under, and what a wonderful job most of them do, but I also know about all the mistakes they make, and they did make a mistake here. Many people blame Jade for her own death, which I find very very sad.

Frankly I find it surprising that someone with the connection you have to the NHS you say you have, would be stating the NHS made a mistake here. How you can possibly know this is beyond me.

Jade was a high profile patient and like it or not would therefore have been treated particularly well by the NHS. Her treatment and death has been the subject of vast amounts of media interest and speculation, plus her case would have been reviewed by the trust. Yet apparently some posters on DS, based on what they have read in the media and without recourse to Jade's medical records, her family or the doctors who actually treted her, have the inside track on this and know she was failed by the NHS - personally I think that is a despicable attitude.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    The very fact that Jade visited hospital on so many occasions tells you that they obviously made a mistake. If they suspected cancer she would have been made well aware of it. I watched her show and they doctors on it were telling her it was bad cramp and period pains, etc. This was not long before she was diagnosed, when the tumour must already have been big. They made a mistake, they didn't think she had cancer. How people can blame Jade is ridiculous, I think.

Did you see the doctors telling her she had cramp and period pains?

When the story first broke 18/19 Aug 2008 many papers picked up an interview that appeared in Reveal magazine, given just days before going to India.

A few days later the press switched to Cliff Maxford's story that she had been given the all clear.

Quotes from that interview....

The interview refers to her awaiting tests relating to cervical cancer....this does not sound like someone given the all clear....
    'I have had two cancer scares, but this time they said: "There's a strong chance of cancer"'

'I know going to India sounds crazy, and a lot of people will criticise me for it, but I have to pay my bills.

And if I do face cancer, I need to make sure I can support the boys.'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jwprg wrote: »
    Frankly I find it surprising that someone with the connection you have to the NHS you say you have, would be stating the NHS made a mistake here. How you can possibly know this is beyond me.

Jade was a high profile patient and like it or not would therefore have been treated particularly well by the NHS. Her treatment and death has been the subject of vast amounts of media interest and speculation, plus her case would have been reviewed by the trust. Yet apparently some posters on DS, based on what they have read in the media and without recourse to Jade's medical records, her family or the doctors who actually treted her, have the inside track on this and know she was failed by the NHS - personally I think that is a despicable attitude.

It is because I have that link to a medical professional that I know of the mistakes medical professions make every day. I agree with the part about her being high-profile, I would have expected her to have been given better care than that. I watched Jade's show with my mother and stepdad as he was interested to hear to medics talking, as this was at a time when there was all sorts being said regarding mistakes, etc. He thought that it was appaling that she wasn't scanned, and was fobbed off with the period pain nonsense, he wasn't surprised that it happened, he was surprised it happened to HER. His feeling was that they didn't take her seriously because she didn't appear to be in much distress and because of her lack of intellect. They may have thought she was being a bit of a time waster.

How you can know they didn't make a mistake is beyond ME.

Also, the fact the NHS have refused to comment on any of MCs rants against them, and how they let Jade down, speaks volumes.
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Living on junk-food then foregoing exercise to undergo liposuction while taking massive doses of diet pills and laxatives, as Goody admitted she did, is not a healthy lifestyle .....

Agreed.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh, that's right. So she deserved to die? Do you know any smokers, or drinkers, do they all deserve to die too?
    At no point did I say she had a healthy diet... so I don't really get your point anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it really matter, she is dead now, just let her RIP for goodness sake
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    It is because I have that link to a medical professional that I know of the mistakes medical professions make every day. I agree with the part about her being high-profile, I would have expected her to have been given better care than that. I watched Jade's show with my mother and stepdad as he was interested to hear to medics talking, as this was at a time when there was all sorts being said regarding mistakes, etc. He thought that it was appaling that she wasn't scanned, and was fobbed off with the period pain nonsense, he wasn't surprised that it happened, he was surprised it happened to HER. His feeling was that they didn't take her seriously because she didn't appear to be in much distress and because of her lack of intellect. They may have thought she was being a bit of a time waster.

Also, the fact the NHS have refused to comment on any of MCs rants against them, and how they let Jade down, speaks volumes.

No it doesn`t, they dont have the right to discuss her medical treatment with the likes of MC or the press without her agreement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tartan18 wrote: »
    They must have investigated in order to advise her to have a hysterectomy, which she refused, because she wanted a baby girl :rolleyes:

btw, I received my letter this morning, and have already made my appointment for my smear, as I have done all along. I hate it, it is degrading, uncomfortable and a bit painful if not done right. But, in the face of the alternative, you've got to have it done

She was also advised at 16 years old that she had pre-cancerous cells and i feel she was lucky to have been diagnosed at such an early age being as the screening age is 25!
    It could of all been very different if she had taken advice to have a hysterectomy..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ erm, yes they do. A claim was made against them, so of course they have the right to deny wrongdoing.
  • Options
    markymidsmarkymids Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's important that Jade is kept in the forefront of our minds to ensure people never forget how dangerous ignoring warnings from your doctors can be - but on the other hand I don't agree that the NHS should be blamed for any of this.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ erm, yes they do. A claim was made against them, so of course they have the right to deny wrongdoing.

At court yes, not in the Sun :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bevtemp wrote: »
    She was also advised at 16 years old that she had pre-cancerous cells and i feel she was lucky to have been diagnosed at such an early age being as the screening age is 25!
    It could of all been very different if she had taken advise to have a hysterectomy..

I agree with this completely. That's the thing I think she did wrong, because she wanted a daughter, that she might not have had anyway, she has now left two sons without a mother. I think the whole "I want a..." is a bit selfish anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markymids wrote: »
    I think it's important that Jade is kept in the forefront of our minds to ensure people never forget how dangerous ignoring warnings from your doctors can be - but on the other hand I don't agree that the NHS should be blamed for any of this.

Well said marky :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If this wasn't so serious I would be having to nip down to my local NHS casualty with split sides!

You and your pop diagnosed Jade from her TV show - genius!

I think you will find that I have never said I KNOW that Jade was mistreated by the NHS as you have said you do know - but I have said that all the evidence would suggest that was the case - after all Jade herself did not say she had been mistreated by the NHS.

Actually, having read your post, I now see that you and your pop apparently knew that Jade was being mistreated by the NHS - therefore you are culpible!

Utterly ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    At court yes, not in the Sun :rolleyes:

Its not just about The Sun, they have a right to release a statement to the press. The argument had been instigated by MC, they wouldn't be allowed to instigate it themselves, but once claims have been made, they are allowed to comment.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone spouting off in a newspaper is not "making a claim".

If an official action is raised by her next-of-kin against the hospital in question, they will be obliged to respond to it.

They are not obliged to respond to someone who talks to a scabby rag.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Jade ignored several letters asking her to go in for treatment because she was scared? How is that the NHS's fault?
    Yes,she could have been saved,if she hadn't ignored the letters.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jwprg wrote: »
    If this wasn't so serious I would be having to nip down to my local NHS casualty with split sides!

You and your pop diagnosed Jade from her TV show - genius!

I think you will find that I have never said I KNOW that Jade was mistreated by the NHS as you have said you do know - but I have said that all the evidence would suggest that was the case - after all Jade herself did not say she had been mistreated by the NHS.

Actually, having read your post, I now see that you and your pop apparently knew that Jade was being mistreated by the NHS - therefore you are culpible!

Utterly ridiculous.

No, nobody diagnosed Jade on, or from the show, that is the problem.

Jade did say she had been mistreated by the NHS.

She was dying by the time we watched her show, so no, we're not culpable.

You're whole reply to me is ridiculous.