Do men still buy wigs?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
Forum Member
✭✭
I was wondering I'm 40 now I actually started getting a no.1 when I was 30 and still had a full head of hair, it was for a part in a play and decided to keep it.

But as I said I'm now 40 and getting extremely thin on top it doesn't bother me as I regularly shave my head anyway but it got me wondering. There doesn't seem to be the same stigma as their used to be and I have to say I have never even considered a wig (well apart from the odd fancy dress and I make a good Hanna Montana).

Do men still get wigs? Are they still out there on younger men but now so good no one notices them?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. I don't know. Im now desperately racking my brains as to whether any of my exes could possibly have been wearing an undetectable wig............
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    I was wondering I'm 40 now I actually started getting a no.1 when I was 30 and still had a full head of hair, it was for a part in a play and decided to keep it.

But as I said I'm now 40 and getting extremely thin on top it doesn't bother me as I regularly shave my head anyway but it got me wondering. There doesn't seem to be the same stigma as their used to be and I have to say I have never even considered a wig (well apart from the odd fancy dress and I make a good Hanna Montana).

Do men still get wigs? Are they still out there on younger men but now so good no one notices them?

There are some pretty awesome wigs out there which make it look like the hair is actually growing out of your scalp. They are called "full lace wigs". Very popular with black women.
  • ducky22ducky22 Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I know one man who wears a wig at 66 and has done since the age of 7. Due to his own hair all falling out .
    We don't take much notice of it now days,but I remember he was playing with my son as toddler on the floor one day. When my son grabbed his wig, god did he scream when the wig came off in his hand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    My hairline started receding at 18, thinned out rapidly, and by about 23 I had nothing on top. The fact I'm quite ugly as well really didn't help things. As depressing as it was, I really didn't want to get a wig. What did help though was this happened at the same time Phil & Grant Mitchell stole the nation's hearts as a pair of lovable bald and ugly rogues, so I was able to slip on my leather jacket and display my freshly shaven head with pride. It is a bit of a nuisance shaving it every couple of days though to stop the scraggly bits coming through.
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Nope - Now they buy WAGS. :D
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wigs are so obvious but yes some men do find comfort in wearing them. A neighbour of ours has been wearing one for years even though its obvious to everyone its a wig.
    Then look at Sir Terry Wogan and Sir Bruce Forsythe, too very wealthy men of advanced years who you think would enjoy their remaining years without a sweaty wig glued to their heads.

Remember women also are wig wearers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RiverChelt wrote: »
    My hairline started receding at 18, thinned out rapidly, and by about 23 I had nothing on top. The fact I'm quite ugly as well really didn't help things. As depressing as it was, I really didn't want to get a wig. What did help though was this happened at the same time Phil & Grant Mitchell stole the nation's hearts as a pair of lovable bald and ugly rogues, so I was able to slip on my leather jacket and display my freshly shaven head with pride. It is a bit of a nuisance shaving it every couple of days though to stop the scraggly bits coming through.

Yeah I think the Mitchell bros. did wonders for the bald headed community.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the security guards at the place I used to work wore the most obvious wig known to man. And I actually think he would have been much more attractive without it.

I guess its a confidence thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    Wigs are so obvious but yes some men do find comfort in wearing them. A neighbour of ours has been wearing one for years even though its obvious to everyone its a wig.
    Then look at Sir Terry Wogan and Sir Bruce Forsythe, too very wealthy men of advanced years who you think would enjoy their remaining years without a sweaty wig glued to their heads.

Remember women also are wig wearers.

Yeah but it is still extremely unusual for a woman to try and go with the bald look, which I think is a shame some of the bald women there have been have been very sexy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    There must be quite a few actors/singers that wear wigs or hairpieces.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seen a programme on tv about young guys going bald, and they went to this posh place which does the "best" wigs, and it really looked quite the business, no way on earth you could tell,also quite stylish wigs, like hair messed up etc, most wigs are naff though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beetroot wrote: »

John Travolta, view full size you will see the lace of the wig glued down to his scalp to make it look like it's growing out of his head

http://news.makemeheal.com/images/john-travolta-toupee.jpg
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beetroot wrote: »

Beyonce wears a very good wig even though I think she has a good head of hair.
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the funniest things I ever saw was when this cantankerous old bloke called Jim who used to moan about everything, fell down the stairs in Labrokes one day and his wig fell off. Virtually everyone in the shop had tears streaming down their faces
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Glitter, Sir. Terry Wogan & Bruce Forsythe all wear wigs.
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe ultra orthodox Jewish women have to wear wigs?
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can tell the difference between balding guys who no.1 their head to disguise their baldness, they still have a visible bald area where they've lost the hair roots; & guys who aren't actually bald but no.1 for the look, they have a fuzz :)
  • SkyknightSkyknight Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ducky22 wrote: »
    I know one man who wears a wig at 66 and has done since the age of 7. Due to his own hair all falling out .
    We don't take much notice of it now days,but I remember he was playing with my son as toddler on the floor one day. When my son grabbed his wig, god did he scream when the wig came off in his hand.

pmsl:D:D:D
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or you could just wear a wooly hat like - The Edge (U2) everywhere :D
  • ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew someone that wore i wig i didnt know and we around the house on xmas day and thought weird how did he get his hair cut xmas day then it clicked lol.
  • GrahameSteeleGrahameSteele Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judges, Barristers, Tv presenters...
  • GrahameSteeleGrahameSteele Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Female impersonaters.
  • NectarNectar Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a Jack Sparrow wig three years ago for New Years Eve. Doesn't look very convincing if I wear it for work though. The bandanna and all the beads and chains and ribbons in it are a bit over the top.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could never wear a wig, they just look so obvious and I'd be paranoid about it falling off or sitting at the wrong angle.