Options

FIRST Lord of the rings Trailer is a DECADE old!!!

CJWALKERCJWALKER Posts: 545
Forum Member
✭✭
Absolutley dumbstruck when i realised this Trailer is over a decade old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-7x5D3v6jE

Anyone remember seeing this?

I was beyond excited seeing this it was amazing

Comments

• Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, teased a year before release? these days you get six-month tease trailers with not even half the actual film footage that's in that one.

For me though, the guy doing the "One Ring" speach in stupid American trailer voice is just wrong, it just doesn't sound right unless it's McKellen!

I think it was the preview stuff in Empire that got me excited for the series, I'd read The Hobbit as a kid but never LOTR, I made sure I'd read it twice by the time the first film came out!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you lot remember when and where you saw the trilogy?

First one was with a group of friends and my high school IT teacher.
    Second one was with friends and family at my local cinema.
    Third one was at uni with friends.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first two were with my housemate at the time. At the local Vue (Ster Century back then) after a few phat ones.

The third was with my girlfreind who I'd met between TT and ROTK. She'd not seen the first two but pretended to like it, I know she was bored to tears but has never admitted it since (we're still together after nearly 8 years)!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 years!!! :eek:

The greatest trilogy ever made in my opinion.

I remember watching the first Harry Potter film and seeing the trailer for The Fellowship of the Ring. Watched the movie a few weeks later and became a fan for life.
  • Options
    CJWALKERCJWALKER Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the first with my school as a treat!

The second i went to the same cinema and watched it on my own!

The third i went again with my school, sat in exactly the same chair in exactly the same screen for all 3 :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJWALKER wrote: »
    I saw the first with my school as a treat!

The second i went to the same cinema and watched it on my own!

The third i went again with my school, sat in exactly the same chair in exactly the same screen for all 3 :D
    Can you see your butt marks in the seat? ;)
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimmin hell, that's making me feel old.
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    prankz wrote: »

First one i watched at my house from a friend's poor pirated quality VHS copy. Got it on DVD in Xmas 2002, also my first ever DVD!
    Second one i also got on DVD the following Christmas and watched it with my family in the living room.
    Third one i went to see at the cinema in early 2004 with the same friend from before!
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »

it was on channel four years ago, and have the dvd .....

saw the first movie in the cinema, and subsequently quite a few times when i have skymovies!!

didn't see the other two until i got the extended version dvd's

oh BTW, did return of the king come out in anamorphic widescreen vhs? i have the other two .....
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :)

All three at the big Odeon in Leicester Square - decided it needed an old fashioned big cinema and was right.

The first one - it was packed. I was off to the side a bit and worried that there were so many kids watching a 3 hour film. They were absolutely silent:)

Second one - waited until it had been out for a few weeks so it was quieter. Aware of the long battle scene so recall nipping to the loo before that started:):)

Third one - went with friends (normally prefer watching on my own) and went to an early morning showing so it was less than one third full. Good choice.

Ten years since the first trailer:eek: ohhh the sands of time they do run......
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ten years ? bloody hell. I shudder to think how many times i've watched the trilogy since then :)

Saw all three at the cinema with my sister as and when they were released.

I just hope it's not too long before the extended versions are released on bluray.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimmin hell, that's making me feel old.

You and me both!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant remember seeing the trailer but I must have done because I remember all the 'Christmas 2001 etc' bits.

I saw Fellowship on the opening weekend, a couple of weeks after the first HP had opened and was still bouncing off that-this was on another level entirely though.

Saw Towers on the opening weekend and had a 'Star Wars moment'-you had to be there in 1977/8 to know what I mean-I think.

Brilliant movies-roll on the Hobbit.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fellowship of the Ring:

1st) With my housemates, in Cambridge

2nd) With my mates, in Cambridge

3rd) With my (then) girlfriend, in London.

The Two Towers:

With my (then) girlfriend, in London.

The Return of the King:

1st) With my (then) girlfriend, in Jersey.

2nd) With my (then) girlfriend, in Jersey.
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome teaser. I remember waiting for ages to stream it on 56k dial-up internet which is all I had at that time. I must have watched it more than two dozen times. Fortunately, the excitement of the trailers for all three movies was justified when I saw them at the cinema, unlike the anticipation and subsequent disappointment of the Star Wars prequels in 1999, 2002 and 2005.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know I was excited to see them, but I really can't remember those kinds of details. I've seen hundreds of films in the theater since then and it all blurs together. But I do distinctly remember seeing Two Towers, only because it happened to come out when I was visiting my girlfriend's home town for Christmas, so it was in a theater I'd never been to before or since.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leosw4 wrote: »
    Saw Towers on the opening weekend and had a 'Star Wars moment'-you had to be there in 1977/8 to know what I mean-I think.

Indeed I do.

The only time I ever skipped school was for Star Wars - as it was known then.

Double technical drawing - didn't think I'd be missed and wasn't.

Had to do it as for weekend and evening bookings the cinema was sold out for weeks.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually watched the animated "Lord of the Rings" on SyFy yesterday - never seen it before.

It was ... weird :)

Anyway, the thing that made me laugh the most was the apparent decision to make gollum a gay jew ..

And I obviously mean that with no disrespect to gay and jewish people, but was that voice really what the producers of the animated version wanted when they read the books ?

It was very funny :)