Options

Getting rid of smoke smell

MollybeMollybe Posts: 674
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

Can anyone give me some tips on getting rid of smoke smells in the house. We've had a lot of visitors over the last few days and I didn't want them to have to go outside in this weather, me included I have to
so set aside a room to use. Now it stinks and I want to get rid of the smell

I have tried scented candles and Oust but its still there.

Anyone any ideas Please?

Comments

• Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Small dish of vinegar left in the room. Clean down all surfaces and if carpeted, use one of the 'shake and vac' type powders. Yesterday I found that Flash are now doing a Febreeze version. I cleaned the skirtingboard area of my hallway to get rid of the smell of cat spray and it smells lovely and fresh now. I am going to try it on my livingroom later. It is a cleaner with febreeze, not an air freshener.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. I will look out for the Flash febreeze next time I go shopping. I do have some Febreeze in the house i will dig it out and try it.

Does the vinegar thing really work?
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll need to take down and wash the curtains and have the carpet cleaned.

Next time, get friends who don't smoke :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found leaving an oil burner on with the full oil in, don´t add any water, for a few hours worked. My mother has a nose like a blood hound for smoke and she couldn´t smell a thing, Well she did comment on the strong jasmine smell and liked it.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why weren't you just honest with you visitors? When I have my decrepit and unfortunately chimney-stack simulator old mum over, she knows that she smokes outside no matter what the weather. The choice is hers. She still loves coming over as often as possible regardless.
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my fridge smells someone told me to put in a cup full of bicarbonate of soda. I wonder if you put a few cups round your room this might help?

If you give it a couple of days with the windows open I'm sure it will go away.
    My mum always smokes in my living room and once she's gone I open the windows and within a few hours it's gone.

The air fresheners are worse than the smell of smoke iMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies.

I have had the window open all day, thank goodness its not as cold as it was.

I have a bowl of vinegar in the room now and all i can smell is that.

I have also gone all around the room with Febreeze to will see if any of that works. If not I'm off out to buy an incence burner:)