Quality - HTPC or Smart TV ?

....I've got a dedicated PC with HDMI out connected to my 42" TV... I can view anything on the web - BBC i PLAYER / YouTube ect. at full 1080p.... The drawback is the streaming quality of the original broadcast... Even BBC streaming in HD mode is still not what I would call 'quality'....

I was just wondering it one of these new 'Smart' TV's with integrated web services would give any better picture quality over my existing set-up (upscaling ect )

Also - It seems a bit ironic to me that we are being encouraged more and more to sit in from of our massive lounge 1080p TV's and watch someone's mobile phone clip uploaded at at about 320x240 on YouTube !

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    advid wrote: »
    I was just wondering it one of these new 'Smart' TV's with integrated web services would give any better picture quality over my existing set-up (upscaling ect )

No, the limitation is the poor quality source.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hdmi doesnt drop the signal quality, so its like the PC is built in anyway.

as a rule PC versions of things like BBC iPlayer (and others inc stuff like YouTube) are quite a bit better than built in Smart services on tv's and other equipment (eg, bluray player with smart functions).

Aside from that, the PC's guts and ram, plus graphics card, etc etc will be far greater than the guts of a smart tv (think mobile smart phone scaled up), and be way more friendly to additional software like QuickTime, Flash, as well as future software upgrades.

The downside is that there is a lot of variation in Online pic quality, but some of the stuff is in full screen, stunning 1080p quality, which why my eyes are telling me looks like HD on BluRay in FullHD 1080p (better than broadcast HD).