dj999dj999 Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only got stopped cos i was trying to keep up with the rest of the traffic
  • Options
    JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so basically they will be on my licence for 4 years? If i got another three during those 4 years, that would make six points? After 4 years my licence would be clean & any points i got after that would be treated as my only points?

After 4 years do i apply to the DVLA to have them removed?

Really paranoid now that i'll get pulled a d they'll find something wrong with my tread & depth or something and i'll get more points :cool:
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »
    The points can be removed from the paper license after 3 years but they still count towards totting up for another year, and they will still show on a license details enquiry for that extra year.
    It's the other way round: you can't remove them from the paper licence for 4 years, but they don't count towards totting up after 3.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

Thanks - it could certainly be interpreted that way.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »
    The points can be removed from the paper license after 3 years but they still count towards totting up for another year, and they will still show on a license details enquiry for that extra year.
    Other way round. Points are valid for totting up purposes for three years from date of conviction but the offence stays on the licence for four years. Edit. Already corrected, above.

I still don't buy the excuse, even if it was medical results. The phone ringing is enough to alert you giving you time to stop somewhere & phone back. 30 seconds?
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    Ok, so basically they will be on my licence for 4 years? If i got another three during those 4 years, that would make six points? After 4 years my licence would be clean & any points i got after that would be treated as my only points?

After 4 years do i apply to the DVLA to have them removed?

Really paranoid now that i'll get pulled a d they'll find something wrong with my tread & depth or something and i'll get more points :cool:
    The thing that matters if how many you receive during a 3 year period. If you got 9 more points within the next 3 years then you could get a ban (the reality is that you almost certainly would, but it isn't actually mandatory for it to be imposed).

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/overview gives pretty much all the information.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Bloke wrote: »
    It's the other way round: you can't remove them from the paper licence for 4 years, but they don't count towards totting up after 3.

Ah yes, I'd managed to get myself confused!
  • Options
    andyhegandyheg Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I'd be more concerned about not being able to produce your documents at the police station.

I was once pulled over for a routine stop (18 years old, Fiesta XR2i) and given a producer. I couldn't find the MOT certificate for the car and even though they knew the car was MOT'd I had to go to court and received an £80 fine for 'failing to produce an MOT certificate when requested'.

This was 10 years ago so things may have changed or the fine may have increased.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    andyheg wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about not being able to produce your documents at the police station.

I was once pulled over for a routine stop (18 years old, Fiesta XR2i) and given a producer. I couldn't find the MOT certificate for the car and even though they knew the car was MOT'd I had to go to court and received an £80 fine for 'failing to produce an MOT certificate when requested'.

This was 10 years ago so things may have changed or the fine may have increased.
    You should have gone back to the issuing MOT centre for a duplicate. Cheaper than the fine and no appearance before the beak.

These days MOTs & insurance are avaiable electronically so being asked to produce them is becoming a rare event. Still possible but less likely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Other way round. Points are valid for totting up purposes for three years from date of conviction but the offence stays on the licence for four years. Edit. Already corrected, above.

I still don't buy the excuse, even if it was medical results. The phone ringing is enough to alert you giving you time to stop somewhere & phone back. 30 seconds?

It's not an excuse, i know it was wrong, just pointing out i wasn't answering the phone to have a gossip. The phone was on loudspeaker in my hand, hardly crime of the century, but foolish none the less.
    andyheg wrote: »

I explained i couldn't locate licence, they were fine with it & said re-apply and then produce it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [J]ust pointing out i wasn't answering the phone to have a gossip. The phone was on loudspeaker in my hand, hardly crime of the century.

On a speed awareness course the other week we knew we were all three because this time we'd been caught, apart from one probationer driver who'd been caught very early on in her driving life because she was feeling ill and was trying to get along the motorway very quickly indeed to the next service station.

It's the lack of stigma to 3 point offences (6 points if you're a probationer driver) that keep us all protesting its only speeding because we needed to be somewhere or answering the phone for an important call
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    On a speed awareness course the other week we knew we were all three because this time we'd been caught, apart from one probationer driver who'd been caught very early on in her driving life because she was feeling ill and was trying to get along the motorway very quickly indeed to the next service station.

It's the lack of stigma to 3 point offences (6 points if you're a probationer driver) that keep us all protesting its only speeding because we needed to be somewhere or answering the phone for an important call

i don't understand why they offer a course for speeding, but not one for phone related offences? doesn't seem fair.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't understand why they offer a course for speeding, but not one for phone related offences? doesn't seem fair.

because speed is all about being aware of your surroundings and the relevant speeds for the road your own - it's called a speed awareness course.

what would a "using a phone whilst driving" course teach you other than you don't do it. you already know you're not supposed to do it. a 3 point and fine penalty is appropriate.
  • Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. I expected the phone call, it was regarding some seriously important medical test results, no excuse, i know i shouldn't have taken the call, but it was regarding something very serious. I didn't have the phone to my ear, it was in my hand on loudspeaker.

Not sure what to do then, whether i inform insurers or not until renewal? They definitely told me i now had 3 points on licence.

Appeal against it on that basis. You'll likely get referred to a referesher driving course, that you'll have to pay for - it'll be the same amount as the fine, and if you do it - it'll be half day thing, but you won't have to also pay the fine on top of it, and you won't get the points on your licence. :)
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Impinger wrote: »
    Appeal against it on that basis. You'll likely get referred to a referesher driving course, that you'll have to pay for - it'll be the same amount as the fine, and if you do it - it'll be half day thing, but you won't have to also pay the fine on top of it, and you won't get the points on your licence. :)
    If it gets referred to court you could get a bigger fine or even a disqualification.

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to inform your insurer of a fixed penalty.

Yes there is.

All motoring convictions must be declared.

NB. Some companies don't require you to declare a first speeding conviction, unless a period of disqualification was awarded.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to produce my document once but couldn't find my counterpart so had to apply for a replacement. I took my insurance & MOT in and told them my licence was with the DVLA and they just said take it in when it came back.

I had to apply for another replacement counterpart (yes I seem to be good at losing it) in September and it was back in 3 days. I did it online.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Yes there is.

All motoring convictions must be declared.

NB. Some companies don't require you to declare a first speeding conviction, unless a period of disqualification was awarded.

And like I said above, some don't require you to declare anything other than disqualifications immediately. Check the policy.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't commenting on when to declare, just that you do need to declare fixed penalties.