LG Nexus 5 codename Megalodon leaked?

slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Rumours are kicking around regarding the Motorola X Phone, but something else as come to the surface under the code name, Megalodon!

Is this the LG Nexus 5? Try not to hyperventilate on reading the supposed specs. If there is any truth in it at all, this phone will be a monster.

http://m.technobuffalo.com/2013/03/16/lg-nexus-5-specs-and-release/
The minute a phone is revealed, you know a bigger, badder, more exciting one will follow. We’re not far removed from Samsung’s Galaxy S 4 announcement, and already we’re hearing about a possible Nexus 5, complete with specs that could trump anything else that comes out this year. This is the rumor of all rumors, but it’s a damn juicy one.

According to Android and Me, who received a tip from an anonymous source, LG is already working on a follow up to the Nexus 4, and it sounds like a Super SUPER phone, something that will make even the S 4 cower in fear. The device, codenamed Megalodon (a prehistoric whale-sized shark with razor blade teeth over 7-inches), will be out in October—hey, that’s iPhone territory—and sport a 2.3GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor and 5.2-inch OLED Full HD display.

Here are the full Megalodon specs:

5.2-inch OLED Display with 1920 x 1080 resolution
Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 2.3GHz
3GB LPDDR3 RAM
16/32/64GB of internal storage
16-megapixel rear camera by OmniVision (4k video recording at 30fps, 1080p video recording at 60fps, Real Time HDR and HDR video recording, OIS, BSI 2.0
2.1-megapixel front camera (1080p video recording at 30fps
3300 mAh Lithium Polymer battery
Front positioned stereo speakers
Qualcomm RF360 (LTE 150 Mbps and HSPA+)
Integrated DVB-T / ATSC-antenna
Gesture-like controls (navigation, zoom, etc.)

“Several things about this leak are screaming fake to me, but I haven’t been able to rule out if this is another elaborate hoax,” Android and Me admitted. The above specs are actually of only one of several prototypes being evaluated by Google for the upcoming Nexus 5, so there are other potential handsets that may be equally as dreamy. But it all seems a little too good, especially tailing the S 4’s recent unveiling. Or maybe that’s the point.

Will the Megalodon come out of extinction later this year? Maybe. Many of the listed specs aren’t even on the market yet, but could be by summer or shortly after. I wonder what kind of price Google would slap onto such a device, especially if it’s offered off-contract.

I really wouldn't mind LG doing another Nexus. Totally loving the current Nexus 4. If October is the month for the new Nexus, and it has specs close to these rumours, then it will pretty much crush everything in it's path. Then there is the Motorola X to consider too. Things are heating up on the google front.

The specs does read like a wishlist more than anything else. :D

Comments

• Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    The specs does read like a wishlist more than anything else. :D
    Definitely.
    There's just a load of little touches that make it seem extremely questionable.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And who would be able to afford it? ;)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm....these specs seem a little too good to be true, though anything is possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if LG has submitted a bid for the next Nexus, they did a great job with the Nexus 4, but I would like HTC to have another go, or Sony to get the contract. Motorola is already doing their own device with Google, but I'm not sure that will be under the Nexus brand...

This phone sounds like an absolute beast, though I wouldn't be too keen on the 5.2" display...that feels like it's into phablet territory.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Hmmm....these specs seem a little too good to be true, though anything is possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if LG has submitted a bid for the next Nexus, they did a great job with the Nexus 4, but I would like HTC to have another go, or Sony to get the contract. Motorola is already doing their own device with Google, but I'm not sure that will be under the Nexus brand...

This phone sounds like an absolute beast, though I wouldn't be too keen on the 5.2" display...that feels like it's into phablet territory.

Yep the 5.2 screen is a bit much for me, I still prefer a 4.7 inch which is more than enough. Apparently there are other prototypes kicking around. This one seems a little far fetched but a few months back there were some whispers of LG getting to work on the next nexus.

Then we've recently seen some news where it states the xphone could be user customisable. The same could possibly apply for the Nexus which will be sold on the play store. Perhaps these specs could be what you get if you Max out the hardware options during customisation? Well a lot of what ifs right now anyways.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Megalodon? :eek: They definitely need to get John Barrowman to promote it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Megalodon? :eek: They definitely need to get John Barrowman to promote it :D

Why John Barrowman? :confused:
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »

Oh haha! Had no idea that existed. Got ya now. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Yep the 5.2 screen is a bit much for me, I still prefer a 4.7 inch which is more than enough. Apparently there are other prototypes kicking around.
    Personally, I find the fact it's supposedly OLED quite suspicious - whilst LG as a company do produce OLED panels, they've put very little effort into producing them for mobile devices in comparison to, say, TVs.
    I doubt they'd be able to magic up an OLED panel good enough to put into a flagship handset out of the blue.

Also, I think the screen would be more likely to be 5.5" and match the Optimus G Pro.

Then we've recently seen some news where it states the xphone could be user customisable. The same could possibly apply for the Nexus which will be sold on the play store. Perhaps these specs could be what you get if you Max out the hardware options during customisation? Well a lot of what ifs right now anyways.
    Even if that were the case, I very much doubt it - the SoC also raises serious questions.
    Even if it were the 800, you can all but guarantee it won't be the 2.3GHz model. It's extremely rare for the first version of a chip to reach the market to be the fastest-clocked one.

I also don't see any phones offering 4k recording for a while.
    As a standard it's barely even available on TVs, it would be pointless on a phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Personally, I find the fact it's supposedly OLED quite suspicious - whilst LG as a company do produce OLED panels, they've put very little effort into producing them for mobile devices in comparison to, say, TVs.
    I doubt they'd be able to magic up an OLED panel good enough to put into a flagship handset out of the blue.

Also, I think the screen would be more likely to be 5.5" and match the Optimus G Pro.

Even if that were the case, I very much doubt it - the SoC also raises serious questions.
    Even if it were the 800, you can all but guarantee it won't be the 2.3GHz model. It's extremely rare for the first version of a chip to reach the market to be the fastest-clocked one.

I also don't see any phones offering 4k recording for a while.
    As a standard it's barely even available on TVs, it would be pointless on a phone.

Yep a lot of this just seems too fantastical to be true. Unless LG who have been fairly quiet, even with the release of the Optimus G/Pro have been quietly plugging away working on this Frankenstein's monster. :D

Just waiting for a very powerful storm to generate the 1.21 gigawatts needed to bring the Megalodon to life! Great Scott!!!! :eek:
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They kind of went a bit too far with the 4k Omnivision bit.... we might have believed most of the rest.... well maybe not the DVBT/ATSC antenna as there'd be no point without an inbuilt DVB-T/ATSC decoder :p
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They kind of went a bit too far with the 4k Omnivision bit.... we might have believed most of the rest.... well maybe not the DVBT/ATSC antenna as there'd be no point without an inbuilt DVB-T/ATSC decoder :p

Honestly in Korea all the phones have built in TV receivers. That spec on an LG phone is believable. But not on a Nexus. Also if there is 4k recording Google will have to up the internal storage quite a bit as 16gb would not last long.

I hope Sony get a chance to make the next Nexus. They need a break.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    Honestly in Korea all the phones have built in TV receivers. That spec on an LG phone is believable. But not on a Nexus. Also if there is 4k recording Google will have to up the internal storage quite a bit as 16gb would not last long.

I hope Sony get a chance to make the next Nexus. They need a break.

Yep. The S3 over there has a pull out antenna!
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yep. The S3 over there has a pull out antenna!

well you live and learn, I thought only those cheap chinese clones had tv (analogue) built in
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    It's like a tech journo has just thought of all the things he/she would simply love to see on a new phone and listed it as included on the Nexus 5 :D. Don't believe it for a minute but will be monitoring the price I can get for a used Nexus 4 on ebay just in case it turns out to be true.:o

PS The Nexus 4 has totally changed my perception of LG - it's proving to be an amazing device so far :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    It's like a tech journo has just thought of all the things he/she would simply love to see on a new phone and listed it as included on the Nexus 5 :D. Don't believe it for a minute but will be monitoring the price I can get for a used Nexus 4 on ebay just in case it turns out to be true.:o

PS The Nexus 4 has totally changed my perception of LG - it's proving to be an amazing device so far :)

You dare doubt the existence of Megalodon!!???? You shall perish when it is unleashed from it's chains! :D

But seriously, yep totally agree with you, I never ever factored in LG as my upgrade. I was looking at HTC, Blackberry even Sony, but not LG. But I am seriously impressed with the N4. Dunno how many times I can keep saying that but I'm more than impressed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It’s good to see the Nexus love being spread to LG. They have usually built and sometimes even designed phones pretty well. They have used better quality materials than Samsung in the past. But the whole package has never hung together properly, unlike Samsung. Compare the Galaxy Note to the Optimus Vu. No contest. Also they have been the worst offender in the past when it comes to abandoning phones. The 2X was a terrible case, launched in March 2011 with 2.2, it then took them ages to release 2.3 and that was it. Compare the Galaxy S2, released just after the 2X it came with 2.3, has seen 4.0 and has just received 4.1. Maybe Sammy learnt from making 2 Nexus phones how to do updates. And lets hope it rubs off on LG too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like a tech journo has just thought of all the things he/she would simply love to see on a new phone...
    Not a journalist, it'll be some fanboy style person - there have been utterly fake rumoured specs crop up now and again for years, generally from anonymous tips.
    Even worse, some people go to the hassle of rendering a fake handset.

finbaar wrote: »
    The 2X was a terrible case, launched in March 2011 with 2.2, it then took them ages to release 2.3 and that was it. Compare the Galaxy S2, released just after the 2X it came with 2.3, has seen 4.0 and has just received 4.1.
    Nice to see you've finally admitted not all OEMs are as bad as each other.

Samsung have been better than most since the original Galaxy S, it was better supported than it's main competitor the Desire.
    And it's still true today - the S4 will launch with 4.2 while the HTC One and the Xperia Z both come with 4.1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/google-nexus-5-to-have-nikon-camera-fresh-rumour-says-50010691/

Fresh off the N5 rumour mill. Nikon camera tech in the Nexus 5?

With regards to the memory, now believed to be 2gb instead of 3gb. Also LG are possibly front runners to make the N5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a journalist, it'll be some fanboy style person - there have been utterly fake rumoured specs crop up now and again for years, generally from anonymous tips.
    Even worse, some people go to the hassle of rendering a fake handset.

Nice to see you've finally admitted not all OEMs are as bad as each other.

Samsung have been better than most since the original Galaxy S, it was better supported than it's main competitor the Desire.
    And it's still true today - the S4 will launch with 4.2 while the HTC One and the Xperia Z both come with 4.1.

Step666, missed that one. They are all bad but some are worse than others. Good for Sammy releasing with 4.2 but boo to them for messing it up with touchwiz. Actually 4.1/4.2 is matterless really - lets see how quickly they all get KLP, but I don't think Sony will be the first. My hope is that Motorola under Google show these OEMs how to do it - minimal useful changes to Android that can be updated quickly rather than hundreds of pointless crap S-apps from Samsung, blinkfeed from HTC and god knows what ever LG copy from Samsung and dump on there phones.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what rumours I have read, the new Motorola flagship phone will not be branded as nexus. I can't see Samsung interested in doing another nexus device either. Leaving out the chinese brands, that basically leaves LG, HTC and Sony. Out of which I think google muc have been happy with the N4 and I think LG have a strong chance of getting the N5 contract.

As for spec, who knows
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Didn't Google and LG clash over the early stock problems with the N4, with each company blaming the other?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Google and LG clash over the early stock problems with the N4, with each company blaming the other?

Hard to say really, how much the stock shortage thing was true. Google may have been trying to create a buzz by putting a small number of phones on the play store. There seemed to be more than enough availability in carphone warehouse and the phone networks also had plentiful supply .

Then the stock came back on the play store the day of the Blackberry Z10 launch Good timing from Google, (how convenient) And it's been in stock ever since.

So i'm guessing LG and Google are cool, they probably just played the good cop bad cop routine for a bit, Don't think there was ever any fallout.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    I can't see Samsung interested in doing another nexus device either.
    Given they're producing one of the devices in the current Nexus range, I'd say that's an incorrect conclusion.

There seemed to be more than enough availability in carphone warehouse and the phone networks also had plentiful supply .
    Because LG were supplying retailers directly and charging them a higher price.
    That would tally with the stock shortages being LG's doing, if they were favouring supplying channels that made them more money.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because LG were supplying retailers directly and charging them a higher price.
    That would tally with the stock shortages being LG's doing, if they were favouring supplying channels that made them more money.

Well, One of LG's directors said in January it was primarily due to poor sales forecasts from Google, both in terms of the total number of sales and the forecasted distribution between countries.

Equally though, I wouldn't be surprised if LG did't divert supplies away from other retail channels to support the Play Store shortfalls.