Options

Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eek, I've been lagging behind watching on iPlayer (no TV in my current residence). Not a bad episode tonight but will be even better with the inclusion of decent tracks which were edited out for the 7.30 show (in favour of boring Dave Edmunds, grinning Hank and Co and the godawful Dance Yerself Dizzeh).

And a presumably coke-addled Bowie doing Brecht at the end.

Oh, and Debbie Harry still manages to look sexy as hell dressed in a bin bag.
  • Options
    TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks Rich! :) The forecast is likely to be cloudy here. :(

Hope you have a good birthday up there tomorrow!
  • Options
    blue screenblue screen Posts: 6,412
    Forum Member
    Not too keen on Dave Edmunds and Liquid Gold (sorry 80's fan!) but thought that was a great episode. Automatically goes up in my estimation due to the absence of Coward of the County.
    Big Bowie fan but never heard of that last song- don't think it was on any of his albums.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who didn't know the Bowie song, it's a cover of a classic from German light opera. It was also covered by The Doors among many others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Song
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    TheWayItIs wrote: »
    Hope you have a good birthday up there tomorrow!

Thank you. :)
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    All boys doing sport wore shorts that tight back in 1980. My own ones in PE certainly were.

Doesn't make it right though. :-D

Coe/Ovett wore them too, Moscow Games 1980. At least they wore vests.
  • Options
    darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    So true. That song would have stormed Eurovision.

Someone must have suggested they would be good at Eurovision, so they entered "A song for Europe" the following year with "Don't panic" (that we will get to see on TOTP 1981). It came a close second to a song that went on to win in Dublin, that needs no introduction. ;-)
  • Options
    infomaninfoman Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    We were lied to!!! :o

You should write to the Daily Mail to complain that the BBC are now loading be to its views or start a Twitter campaign to against the BBC lying to its views.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    Maybe. Of course I love that song, but I still didn't think the BBC's Eurovision entry that year was bad at all, even though very different in style and a more earlier 70s sound I still think it's good.

Had to check who we had in that year. Prima Donna 'Love Enough For Two'. Yes, I quite like that too. Not sure how it done in the actual contest but its number 48 peak here suggests the public didn't much rate it.

ps. Happy Birthday for tomorrow Highlander! :)
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not too keen on Dave Edmunds and Liquid Gold (sorry 80's fan!) but thought that was a great episode. Automatically goes up in my estimation due to the absence of Coward of the County.
    Big Bowie fan but never heard of that last song- don't think it was on any of his albums.

Ha ha! It's ok! It's what makes this thread so entertaining, that we all like different things :D
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darren1090 wrote: »
    Someone must have suggested they would be good at Eurovision, so they entered "A song for Europe" the following year with "Don't panic" (that we will get to see on TOTP 1981). It came a close second to a song that went on to win in Dublin, that needs no introduction. ;-)

ooh, I never knew that!
    80sfan wrote: »
    Ha ha! It's ok! It's what makes this thread so entertaining, that we all like different things :D

Indeed.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    All boys doing sport wore shorts that tight back in 1980. My own ones in PE certainly were.

I loved those short satin shorts & always wanted a pair!! :)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks Rich! :) The forecast is likely to be cloudy here. :(
    It's my seven year old nephew's birthday tomorrow too, and I heard that his lollipop lady near his school has been given a letter from the council warning her to be careful because there is an eclipse during school time in the morning and that it may get quite dark and lights may go on! Talk about H & S insanity! As somebody said to me, do the council's need to start warning people when we get a really dull day. MASSIVE FACEPALM.
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who didn't know the Bowie song, it's a cover of a classic from German light opera.

David Bowie's 'Alabama Song' was packaged in a poster bag which I believe were a fad in the 1980s - I wonder which 7 inch single was the first to be released in a poster bag.
  • Options
    Alex_DowlingAlex_Dowling Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't be able to watch Top Of The Pops next week but will record it because I'm on residiantal with College

The episode on the following week which will be 20/3/1980 show on 2nd April I will watch that live on BBC Four but will have to record the 27/3/1980 on the 9th April becuase I'm in Holiday in Marrakesh.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darren1090 wrote: »

Funnily enough the Bucks Fizz song is actually my least favourite of the BBC's entries to Eurovision from 80 to 85, I love all the others. They certainly did better songs later for me like My Camera Never Lies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Had to check who we had in that year. Prima Donna 'Love Enough For Two'. Yes, I quite like that too. Not sure how it done in the actual contest but its number 48 peak here suggests the public didn't much rate it.

ps. Happy Birthday for tomorrow Highlander! :)

Cheers Torch. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's my seven year old nephew's birthday tomorrow too, and I heard that his lollipop lady near his school has been given a letter from the council warning her to be careful because there is an eclipse during school time in the morning and that it may get quite dark and lights may go on! Talk about H & S insanity! As somebody said to me, do the council's need to start warning people when we get a really dull day. MASSIVE FACEPALM.

It's crazy eh? Happy Birthday to your nephew Rich. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough the Bucks Fizz song is actually my least favourite of the BBC's entries to Eurovision from 80 to 85, I love all the others. They certainly did better songs later for me like My Camera Never Lies.

Yes I prefer 'My Camera Never Lies' to the other number 1s. You don't hear a song on the radio for ages, then I hear that song on The Wireless at breakfast and then again on Radio 2 a few hours later :)

My other fave Bucks Fizz hit is 'If You Can't Stand The Heat' :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't be able to watch Top Of The Pops next week but will record it because I'm on residiantal with College

The episode on the following week which will be 20/3/1980 show on 2nd April I will watch that live on BBC Four but will have to record the 27/3/1980 on the 9th April becuase I'm in Holiday in Marrakesh.

Happy travels Alex and it'll be fun catching up when you get back!
  • Options
    Ryan_Waide1Ryan_Waide1 Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    A good episode tonight i thought, they seem to have cut 'stiff little fingers' from the early showing for a second time.

I'll see it later i suppose
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Michael Jackson, Peter Gabriel, Stiff Little Fingers and Rainbow.

Thanks highlander :)
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also although 'Take That Look off Your Face' is nice I do like her song (Abba sounding) 'I'm Not That Kind of Girl' from 83 more.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once tried to get our '84 entry, Love Games by Belle & The Devotions off iTunes but it wasn't there. Really like that one a lot. It didn't go down too well in the arena at the time and got some heckling for some reason.
    80sfan wrote: »
    Yes I prefer 'My Camera Never Lies' to the other number 1s. You don't hear a song on the radio for ages, then I hear that song on The Wireless at breakfast and then again on Radio 2 a few hours later :)

My other fave Bucks Fizz hit is 'If You Can't Stand The Heat' :)

I've got their Greatest Hits album. A very good collection of early 80's pop it is too. Now Those Days Are Gone is a very moving song.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member

I was in Devon the day the 1999 solar eclipse occurred and it's actually a different kind of gloom. It's quite eerie because it's not like just before sunrise or sunset where there's an incremental change of light. It's a sudden darkening with a hint of red. It's more peculiar then scary.
This discussion has been closed.