Options

Should the final episode of Top Gear been simulcast in cinemas?

Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After tonight's Top Gear episode, I can't help but think it should have been shown in cinemas. It felt like Top Gear's Day Of The Doctor, even though it wasn't intended as a celebration and was a conclusion as opposed to a anniversary special.

Does anyone else agree?

Should the final episode of Top Gear been simulcast in cinemas? 85 votes

Yes
7% 6 votes
No
92% 79 votes

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is sarcastic......right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    This thread is sarcastic......right?

No. I think Top Gear would work remarkably well in cinemas. It was 75 minutes like Day of the Doctor too.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Haha, I oddly like this ridiculous idea. They should do a top gear film :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Haha, I oddly like this ridiculous idea. They should do a top gear film :p

I think they should have done while Clarkson, Hammond and May were presenting but not with Chris Evans. I've always believed the two part specials should have been combined to make films fit for cinema release instead.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Only if they'd do it for other shows.

Simulcast is best used as it is now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if they'd do it for other shows.

I think it should depend on the length and whether it would benefit from the cinematic treatment. Day of the Doctor, for example, definitely benefited from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think they should have done while Clarkson, Hammond and May were presenting but not with Chris Evans. I've always believed the two part specials should have been combined to make films fit for cinema release instead.

Of course. I don't think the original hosts are replaceable. I think Top Gear might still be an ok show and I'll watch it and give it a chance, but it won't be the same. It'd be like taking a great comedy and then just replacing all the characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid idea
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I like TG, but come on, it ain't that good.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're either a misguided individual who thinks Clarkson is some kind of god, or you're a troll... it's not for me to decide which.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    You're either a misguided individual who thinks Clarkson is some kind of god, or you're a troll... it's not for me to decide which.

Woah, check out the judgemental pants on pork pie :p
  • Options
    The SnowmanThe Snowman Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am/was a proper Top Gear obsessive (not the death threat sort though) and Clarkson was my childhood idol, but even I think that would have been going to far, especially given the circumstances. Granted I don't think it was handed perfectly (especially the promo playing over the silent credits), but simulcasting it in cinemas..that's too far.

And there's a big difference between the Day of the Doctor's and the final Top Gear episode. The BBC wanted that Doctor Who episode to be a big event, they didn't want this episode of Top Gear to be that (though annoyingly for them it's probably going to end up been the highest rated ever episode of Top Gear).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am/was a proper Top Gear obsessive (not the death threat sort though) and Clarkson was my childhood idol, but even I think that would have been going to far, especially given the circumstances. Granted I don't think it was handed perfectly (especially the promo playing over the silent credits), but simulcasting it in cinemas..that's too far.

And there's a big difference between the Day of the Doctor's and the final Top Gear episode. The BBC wanted that Doctor Who episode to be a big event, they didn't want this episode of Top Gear to be that (though annoyingly for them it's probably going to end up been the highest rated ever episode of Top Gear).

Haha!

I don't think Clarkson's ever been an idol of mine, it's weird because I'm not sure if I even like him that much at times, but I like his style of presenting and it worked excellently on top gear. When he's on point, he's quite brilliant.

All the best people tend to be a little bit controversial in my opinion. I never understood the hate he got, I'm not sure he takes himself that seriously all the time anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Haha!

I don't think Clarkson's ever been an idol of mine, it's weird because I'm not sure if I even like him that much at times, but I like his style of presenting and it worked excellently on top gear. When he's on point, he's quite brilliant.

All the best people tend to be a little bit controversial in my opinion. I never understood the hate he got, I'm not sure he takes himself that seriously all the time anyway.

I reckon Jeremy Clarkson was very much playing a exaggerated version of himself on Top Gear. Same with the other two because when you think about it, all three conform to well-known stereotypes.

Jeremy Clarkson is the power-hungry motorhead.

Richard Hammond is the country boy.

James May is the slightly boring old-fashioned granddad.

I doubt they conform to those stereotypes in real life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I reckon Jeremy Clarkson was very much playing a exaggerated version of himself on Top Gear. Same with the other two because when you think about it, all three conform to well-known stereotypes.

Jeremy Clarkson is the power-hungry motorhead.

Richard Hammond is the country boy.

James May is the slightly boring old-fashioned granddad.

I doubt they conform to those stereotypes in real life.

True, they adopted an exaggerated persona for the show and it worked because it was entertaining.

I also think there's quite a big element of just not caring too much from Clarkson as well, which was quite refreshing when most of us have to deal with moaners getting their pants in a tizzy over something inconsequential every day :p
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the "final" episode though, is it? It's just the last episode to feature these three hosts. Following your analogy, Christopher Eccleston's last episode as the Doctor would be the "final" episode of Doctor Who.

Doctor Who carried on without Eccleston, Top Gear carries on without Hammond, May and Clarkson.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What next? The final of the Great British Bake Off to be shown in cinemas?

How about the X Factor final?
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd watch 90 minute Clangers special at the cinema.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's a similcast anyway ?

They used to show live TV boxing matches in the big city cinemas back in the 50s-60s, I never figured out how it worked. Cinemas use film via a projector, TV uses electical impulses via a cathode ray tube.

It be witchcraft, pure and simple.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    To answer the OP's question very very simply....................no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the "final" episode though, is it? It's just the last episode to feature these three hosts. Following your analogy, Christopher Eccleston's last episode as the Doctor would be the "final" episode of Doctor Who.

Doctor Who carried on without Eccleston, Top Gear carries on without Hammond, May and Clarkson.

Doctor Who is different in that it's a show about change. Clarkson, Hammond and May Top Gear, however, is it's own show and a completely different one to 1977 Top Gear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How about the X Factor final?

Well, the Strictly final was shown in cinemas so why not?
  • Options
    Ashford SteveAshford Steve Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, but Eccleston isn't a southern, privately educated Tory boy, followed by similar, Daily Maily types, who are convinced that they and only they have exclusive rights to our licence payer's money is he?
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the final episode on Sunday, and suddenly realised that Jeremy Clarkson has done the right thing by giving Top Gear up. The show was crap, same old, same old. Well past its sell by date.

And the thought of Chris Evans............ Yuch!