Options

Diet tips that work!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
Forum Member
Hey gang

Need to lose a few pounds by three weeks from now - best most successful diet tips you can recommend would be awesome...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut down on the carbs
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aatlae wrote: »
    Hey gang

Need to lose a few pounds by three weeks from now - best most successful diet tips you can recommend would be awesome...

Eat less - move more!!!

I am not being condescending but on that premise you will lose weight.

Eat often and little to keep your blood sugar level's regulated.... And obviously cut out the crap and the booze and try for 2L water a day!!

Not sure how much you'd lose in 3 weeks though?? Esp if its only a few lbs - they are the hardest to shift.

If all else fails, invest in some good underwear and a nice outfit ;)
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find soup very filling, and often have some for lunch. If you want a snack during the day, apple crisps are yummy - as are Marmite rice cakes, if you like Marmite! There is lots of fruit in the shops at the moment too, I'm pigging out on cherries ATM and really enjoying it.

As another poster said, make sure you drink plenty as mild dehydration is often mistaken for hunger.

If you don't lose any, don't fret - just try again another time. Sometimes your body wants to hang on to the extra lbs, just to annoy you!
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1: Don't diet.
  • Options
    bigtunesbigtunes Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure you burn more calories each day than you consume is the best way to lose weight.

Eat 6 small meals/snacks throughout the day and keep your diet balanced.

Don't cut anything out your diet, just eat less of it. If e.g you cut out chocolate then give into the craving and have a binge you'll be back at square one, feeling guilty and demoralised.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are 3 basic rules to losing weight and I'll tell 'em to you for free.

1. Drink water

2. Eat a lot less fat and sugar

3. Move your body.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Hoping for some specific tips, things you've eaten to help weight loss, things to avoid, "my grandmother swore by" etc etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only thing you can eat to lose weight with is something like illcooked chicken - get food poisoning otherwise your asking for the impossible, good luck and if you find a miracle cure be sure to let me know please
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping for some specific tips, things you've eaten to help weight loss, things to avoid, "my grandmother swore by" etc etc

Don't eat after 7 in the evening.

Don't eat 'white' foods ie potatoes, white pasta, white rice, white bread (in fact try and avoid carbs altogether).

Eat lots of celery - you actually burn more calories with the effort of eating it than you are intaking.

Have a big healthy breakfast, small ish lunch, and small snack instead of dinner in the evening.

Exercise as much as you can - take the stairs instead of the lift, walk where possible, get off the bus one stop earlier than normal etc etc

Essentially, eat less, exercise more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My grandmother swore by replacing fatty foods with fruit and veggies and exercising lots . . ?
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    I've lost over 3.5 stone in 7 months by doing what most of the other posters have advised - eating less, exercising more, not 'dieting' but eating sensibly and well. One other thing that seems to have worked for me is to have my main meal at lunchtime and just something light in the evening. The benefit of this is twofold:
    1. You have more time to burn off the heavier meal if you eat it earlier in the day.
    2. You stay full from lunchtime until you have your snack/'lunch' in the evening, so resist the temptation for a mid-afternoon snack or bar of chocolate on the way home.

I do know that it is easier to lose weight when you have a lot to lose, rather than a few stubborn pounds, but in either case the 'eat less, move more' approach should work. 1lb = 3,500 calories, apparently, so eating 500 fewer calories per day and burning off 500 more than usual should result in 2lbs weightloss per week.

There are no magic bullets, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Col.KurtzCol.Kurtz Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I've lost about 8 pounds in 2 months by just not snacking in the evening (especially just before going to bed).

Only eat when you feel hungry and don't feel the need to clear your plate. I've started doing a few sit ups too but I'm hardly active all the time and get little exercise really yet the weight still came off.

I'm down to 11st 10 now and aiming for 11st 7. Should be about ideal for my height of 5'11.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Diets do not work as what you take off, you put back on again.

The best way to lose weight is to walk everywhere and only eat natural products and avoid MSG.
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member

Drink green tea. Personally, I think it looks like wee and smells like broccoli but, apparently, it's good for your metabolism.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Xassy wrote: »
    Drink green tea. Personally, I think it looks like wee and smells like broccoli but, apparently, it's good for your metabolism.

White tea is even better than green tea. White tea also beats green tea in fighting viruses.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White tea is even better than green tea. White tea also beats green tea in fighting viruses.

I have a niggle with white tea SUD, which is that it was insidiously introduced after all the fuss around the miracles of green tea had died down. I now wonder whether we are going to keep seeing 'new improved' versions of tea as per Persil, Fairy non-bio et al.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eat off a smaller plate to reduce your portion size.

If you eat snacks while on the go, only eat them when sitting at the table.

Drink plenty of water thoughout the day especially before and during meal times. The fuller you are with water the less likely you will over eat.

Dont diet, make a liftime commitment to eating healthily and changing your eating habits.

Get plenty of exercise.

Eat all food naked in front of a mirror LOL :eek: :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sugar free jelly for those sweet tooth cravings, not actually a lose weight tip, but a tip on how to feel a little less deprived while you are doing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redjay wrote: »
    Sugar free jelly for those sweet tooth cravings, not actually a lose weight tip, but a tip on how to feel a little less deprived while you are doing it.

My fridge is full of the little rountree pots :D You are right, it gives you the thrill of having something naughty without adding to the waistline.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Green tea.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lost over 3.5 stone in 7 months by doing what most of the other posters have advised - eating less, exercising more, not 'dieting' but eating sensibly and well. One other thing that seems to have worked for me is to have my main meal at lunchtime and just something light in the evening. The benefit of this is twofold:
    1. You have more time to burn off the heavier meal if you eat it earlier in the day.
    2. You stay full from lunchtime until you have your snack/'lunch' in the evening, so resist the temptation for a mid-afternoon snack or bar of chocolate on the way home.

I do know that it is easier to lose weight when you have a lot to lose, rather than a few stubborn pounds, but in either case the 'eat less, move more' approach should work. 1lb = 3,500 calories, apparently, so eating 500 fewer calories per day and burning off 500 more than usual should result in 2lbs weightloss per week.

There are no magic bullets, I'm afraid.

I am in the process of trying this bigger meal at lunch time thing!! Normally I just have soup but as I don't eat until late (8.30pm usually) I know it's really bad to have a heavy meal that late so I am eating a big lunch and sticking to soup, scrambled eggs or beans on toast or a small jacket spud and salad for dinner!!

But everything you say makes perfect sense!!

There really are no magical fixes - sadly!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eat a huge breakfast, eat a medium sized lunch and a small dinner. snack on veggies, fruits in between meals.

cut out all drinks apart from ICE COLD water - ice cold water will burn off approx. 200 more calories per day.

excercise. walk everywhere when possible.
  • Options
    onyx4onyx4 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamcake wrote: »
    eat a huge breakfast, eat a medium sized lunch and a small dinner. snack on veggies, fruits in between meals.

cut out all drinks apart from ICE COLD water - ice cold water will burn off approx. 200 more calories per day.

excercise. walk everywhere when possible.

slight overestimation of calories there- five or six ice-cold glasses of water could help you burn about 10 extra calories a day -- equalling about one pound of nearly effortless weight loss each year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do people mean by a big lunch or big breakfast? I am honestly curious.

I tend to think wheetabix plus a slice of bread is a big breakfast? help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice? Don't diet, exercise more! I have tried losing weight for years using the lack of food method. Never worked. I've started trainging for the London to Brighton and am cycling around 2 to 3 times a week. I do one longer ride (30 miles plus) at a more leisurly pace and a couple of shorter ones (15 miles) a bit more aggressively.

Now, the weight isn't falling of but i am losing my belly and firming up. I am assuming that, as the muscle replaces the fat, my weight will stay the same but i am turning the fat into productive muscle. But i am losing weight.

I've also cut down on eating the crap between meals. I used to eat crisps, chocolate, snack-a-jacks, those philadelphia dip things etc. Now, i still eat these occasionally but only as a treat.

Doing this will change your life! Trust me, i'm a lazy git and i love my food. :D