Yorkshire Puddings

simpsbsimpsb Posts: 199
Forum Member
Hi all

Have spent the last 6 hours (not the 1st 6 hours we have spent trying to sort this) in the kitchen trying pre mixes, starting from scratch. We are now loads of flour down, about 12 eggs down and still they are coming out crap. Have changed the fan oven tempreture, the amount of fat in the tin, the cooking time.

We want to produce some small puddings, muffing size tray, that are cooked all the throgh, not just on the outside. The outsides are crisp and well cooked, nice colour and a good taste, the inner are "damp" and undercooked.

We can both remember our mothers in the 70's just throwing things into a bowl and they always came out raised and fluffy.

Have tryed many recieps, Della, James Martin Etc Etc

What are we doing wrong, it's driving us made?

Many thanks:confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    perhaps its the fan oven?

I always switch over to conventional oven for baking.

Do you have that option on your oven?
  • g jonesg jones Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always make mine with 2 eggs and 1/4 pint of milk. Mix in plain flour until the consistency of cream and cook in a fan oven in silicone muffin trays at 175 c for about 25/30 minutes.Just put about a teaspoon of veg oil in the bottom of each compartment and fill with the batter.I personally never heat the oil but make sure that the oven is hot.
    Also have never found any difference with beating the batter to incorporate air just tend to mix it quickly.
    I am not saying this will work for you but you never know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you getting the fat hot enough? It should sizzle when you pour in the batter
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I had to make a guess, I'd suggest one of the following:

Too much egg in your mixture

Oven and/or tray not hot enough (the dripping in your muffin tray should be literally smoking hot before you add the mixture, and you need to work quickly when adding the mixture)

Too much oil / dripping in each bit of the tray

Muffin tray itself is too thick and shielding the bottom of the yorkies from the heat, hence they are not cooking through.

A couple of other things that you might want to try, is to make sure that your eggs are at room temperature before using them, and to let your batter rest for a wee while before giving it a quick stir up and then whacking it in the hot tray.
  • SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    purplecatz wrote: »
    Are you getting the fat hot enough? It should sizzle when you pour in the batter

That's the secret to good Yorkshires. Very hot fat. Since I learnt that I have never had a failure.
  • bigtunesbigtunes Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make mine using 4 ozs flour, 3 eggs and enough milk to give the consistency of double cream. I make the batter when I put the meat in so it stands for about 1 -1 1/2 hours.

Heat the fat for about 20 mins at 180 in my fan oven and cook for 25-30 mins.

Come out crispy on the outside and nice and fluffy inside.
  • simonmooresimonmoore Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delia Smith recipe have never let me down yet

3 oz plain flower
    3 fl oz milk
    2fl oz water
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Delia says 1 egg but we use small eggs so I use 2

They have never let me down yet touch wood lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    agree on the temperature thing , set the oven as hot as it will go , get the oil 1 degree below the point of ignition :eek: , and get that batter in the tray as quick as you can , dont faff about , just pour it in as quick as possible and if it splashes over the sides a bit then so be it , get the door shut and lower the temperature down to around 220 degrees , and dont be tempted to open the door for a peek half way through cooking ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get an oven thermometer. They cost less than a tenner and they don't fib, unlike your oven thermostat.
  • belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could try using half milk to half ice cold sparkling water, it makes them a bit lighter. Personally I like them a bit soggy in the middle so yours sound lovely to me :)
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aunt Bessie is your friend!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Watched an episode of Jamie's 30 Minute Meals last night.

His recipe was:
    1 cup plain flour
    1 cup milk
    1 egg
    pinch of salt

He put them in a blender to mix.
    Had a tray heating in an oven at 220c
    Put the tray on the hob over heat. Glug in olive oil. Added the mixture. Into the oven.

They were pretty small yorkies but looked good.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is one thing i have yet to master :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »

sometimes they are the best option , nowt worse than a sunday or xmas dinner being ruined by soggy or missing yorkies :eek:
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sometimes they are the best option , nowt worse than a sunday or xmas dinner being ruined by soggy or missing yorkies :eek:

I know, been there, done that! :D

Life's too short.
  • bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using this recipe for 20 years, never let me down. Make sure the fat, I use beef dripping, is very hot before pouring the batter in.

For individual Yorkshire puddings or Popovers, use 50g (2 oz) plain flour, 1 egg and 150ml ( 1/4 pint) milk. Cook for 15-20 minutes. This quantity will fill 12 patty tins

this was taken from http://greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/
  • lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know others have mentioned this in their recipes but it's REALLY important to use plain flour, not SR, just in case that's what you've been doing, maybe inadvertently.

Also, some recipes I think call for too much liquid, which could be why they're turning out soggy. Add just enough milk to make it the consistency of double cream, like bigtunes said.
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know when I'm beaten. Mum made fantastic yorkies. So with her oven, her recipe, her leaning over my shoulder I tried. Result.....she opened the oven and said "Ok, you can't make yorkshires". Even the birds didn't want it :o

Packet mix from then on.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said get the oil in the tins really hot, but then I drain off most of it, and pour batter in very quickly. Mine have always come out crisp all over.

Or get a packet of Aunt Bessie's :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »

A dear one!
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    I cook mine in the microwave using the Convection setting on 220 degrees.

4 ozs plain flour
    pinch salt
    2 eggs
    half a pint of ss milk.

Beat the eggs into the flour with half of the milk giving it a good old-fashioned beating, stir in the rest of the milk. In the meantime put a small baking tin with a knob of Cookeen into the oven until the temperature is reached. Pour in the mixture and cook for 35 minutes and it comes out every time looking like this and you can cut it into portions.

http://oi54.tinypic.com/qn8qgz.jpg
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I blend together:
    1/2 pint milk (or milk/water)
    1 large egg
    4 oz Plain Flour
    Pinch salt

Then I leave it to sit for half an hour. This is important as it majes the flour absorb all the liquid.

Then I heat fat in patty tins and bake on 200 for 15 minutes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do 40z flour 1/2 pint water/milk mix, 1 egg pinch salt. Mine come out soggy sometimes and I love them and others crispyness and I love them too. 200 or 220c oven depending on what I fancy - mcdougalls recipe

No tips just think its weird how so many people cook them different ways
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forget the evil Delia and other recipes.

Not hard.

Make the appropriate batter mix (make sure it's well blended). Stick in fridge for minimum 30 minutes (make itt the day before ideally).

With normal tins ensure the oil is HOT!!!!!!!

Once in, don't open the oven for at least 20 minutes.

Got some silicon bakeware early this year.

Did some Yorkshire Pudding in that.

No need to put oil in, or get the 'pan' hot. Just put into preheated oven.

They come out BIG!!!!!!
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I use 150g plain flour, 2 eggs, pinch of salt, 1/2 pint milk.
    Mix all together into a smooth batter and let rest for at least 30mins.
    Preheat oven to about 200c-220c
    Put a small amount of oil in pan of preference to just cover the bottom and put into oven until smoking.
    Give batter another whisk up then pour into hot oil which should make a sizzle noise.
    Put into oven, keep door closed for about 30-35mins and hey presto yummy huge yorkies. :)

I also use this for an awesome Toad in the Hole :)