Anyone swapped their PS4 for a XBONE? (following the BC announcement)

Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been with 'xbox' since 2001 but last year I decided that I'd get a PS4 as I was burnt by the Microsoft announcements of the XBONE etc.

I've played some good games on the PS4 - Bloodborne in particular was fantastic, and next year PS4 has Horizon and Uncharted coming which look stunning... but as daft as it sounds I missed having an 'xbox' so decided to swap as it didn't feel right. Then the BC announcement was the icing on the cake.

So happy I did - the UI on the XBONE is far superior for me - and Kinect too. PS4 had and will have some good games, but I find the experience better on the XBONE.

Currently playing MCC, Horizon 2 and Ori. All are great so far.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience on here! it's good to be back :)

Anyone else made a recent jump due to the BC announcement?

Comments

• Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair game to you, you've swapped one good console for another good console and don't let anybody tell you any different.

For me though I would have gone for the Xbox One as well as the PS4 and not instead of. Of course your financial situation might not allow that, but at some point in the future I'd recommend picking up another PS4, you've already had a great experience on the PS4 and i'm sure you would again.

Enjoy your Xbox One :)
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been the type to choose one console over the other and at some point always end up with all of them.

I bought a Wii-U at the beginning of 2014 because i felt it was peaking and that turned out to be right. 2015 was always gona be a strong year for PS4 so i picked one up at Christmas and so far it has been perfect. For me it is the superior console, technically and games wise so i find it surprising you jumped.

Xbox One hasn't convinced me at all yet. I will pick one up at some point but probably in a few years when i can pick it up cheap with a couple of games. I suppose you have done the reverse and can pick up a PS4 cheap in a few years, so much the same really.

At the end of the day though it comes down to what games you like and Xbox One has none for me right now (No desire to play another Halo, Gears of War or Forza game)
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Backward compatibility may be a red herring yet as there's only a handful of 'early' games for pre view customers only at the moment, and of those early games I've seen reviews that Mass Effect has quite bad frame rate issues making it almost unplayable at certain times. Is it not going to be around Christmas time that there should be 100 available? is so I'd have waited till then or just pickup an old 360 to tide you over.

What happens when MS has persuaded enough people to make the switch/buy on the assumption of BC and they then pull the plug on the effort of adding more BC games?
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon79 wrote: »
    I've never been the type to choose one console over the other and at some point always end up with all of them.

I bought a Wii-U at the beginning of 2014 because i felt it was peaking and that turned out to be right. 2015 was always gona be a strong year for PS4 so i picked one up at Christmas and so far it has been perfect. For me it is the superior console, technically and games wise so i find it surprising you jumped.

Xbox One hasn't convinced me at all yet. I will pick one up at some point but probably in a few years when i can pick it up cheap with a couple of games. I suppose you have done the reverse and can pick up a PS4 cheap in a few years, so much the same really.

At the end of the day though it comes down to what games you like and Xbox One has none for me right now (No desire to play another Halo, Gears of War or Forza game)
    It has 'better' graphics apparently - but I haven't noticed any difference yet! I'm concentrating on the gameplay... not the FPS ;) so I wouldn't say it's technically better - certainly not on the interface - UI - especially. I hated the long line of non customisable apps on the PS4 home screen. Love the xbox UI so much more. I do agree it's the best games wise though - and I'll really miss not getting Uncharted 4 - but yes I love halo and other microsoft games, but the main thing, and this may sound daft was me 'missing' xbox. I was loyal to Sega from 1990 ish to 2001 ish. I was then loyal to Microsoft all the way to 2014. I had a brief flirtation with Sony, but I realised my bed still lies with Microsoft ;)
    paulj48 wrote: »
    Backward compatibility may be a red herring yet as there's only a handful of 'early' games for pre view customers only at the moment, and of those early games I've seen reviews that Mass Effect has quite bad frame rate issues making it almost unplayable at certain times. Is it not going to be around Christmas time that there should be 100 available? is so I'd have waited till then or just pickup an old 360 to tide you over.

What happens when MS has persuaded enough people to make the switch/buy on the assumption of BC and they then pull the plug on the effort of adding more BC games?
    Yeah I think it will be October when BC is properly launched. You're right it is early days - but I'm putting faith in the fact that Microsoft know they have a massive effort to catch up with Sony - they would be castrated if BC was a failure. It's been a big change since the new guy took charge.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    The UI is getting a huge update in the next few months for a video of it in action see the link below. I hope you like the new look.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/06/xbox-xbox-one-transforms-this-fall-with-a-new-user-experience
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »

I think BC is just an emulator, all games can work except kinect 1.0, might require some extra code. The only problem is the game publishers. All your x360 purchases came with a license for that console only, some publishers will say yes and some will say no. Why would rockstar want to put the x360 version of gta 5 on BC when they can charge you £50 for the x1 version. We will soon see who the money grabbing b~ggers are:D

Wouldnt surprise me if we see all x360 games/arcade/indies on the x1 store for purchase as a possible sweetner for supporting bc.

Only downside will be gwg, one shitty x1 indie game with a 5+ year old x360 game.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    The UI is getting a huge update in the next few months for a video of it in action see the link below. I hope you like the new look.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/06/xbox-xbox-one-transforms-this-fall-with-a-new-user-experience

They've actually moved closer to the PS4 format in my view. Not a bad thing as all, as I think that's the right way to go. The Cortana thing.... Interesting, but we'll have to see how it works in reality. For all the hype about Kinect and speech commands it's very limited and temperamental.

As for swapping consoles, I've enjoyed owning multiple formats for a very long time now.
  • KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never swap a PS4 for a Xbone.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've actually moved closer to the PS4 format in my view. Not a bad thing as all, as I think that's the right way to go. The Cortana thing.... Interesting, but we'll have to see how it works in reality. For all the hype about Kinect and speech commands it's very limited and temperamental.

As for swapping consoles, I've enjoyed owning multiple formats for a very long time now.

I wouldn't say Kinect is 'temperamental'. I don't remember the last time I've had to repeat myself. I also wouldn't say limited, but I guess that is down to what you want from it.

The PS4 UI is awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    Never swap a PS4 for a Xbone.

Why not if the games are there and your friends are already.
  • KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not if the games are there and your friends are already.

Because it's not truly current gen, nothing visually looks stunning. It's like upgrading your PC to have slightly higher resolution playing the same games. Even Alien Isolation has jaggies to death.. sooo scary.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like upgrading your PC to have slightly higher resolution playing the same games.

Kinda sums up the whole new generation for me :cry:

Saying that though I am still enjoying my new system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Kinect is 'temperamental'. I don't remember the last time I've had to repeat myself. I also wouldn't say limited, but I guess that is down to what you want from it.

The PS4 UI is awful.

Not my experience of Kinect I'm afraid. Sometimes it's impossible to wake the damn thing up (I've even tried saying "exbwocks" as that seems to work for the dudes on stage) and even when it does work it will sometimes carry out a totally different command. I find the whole UI to be over complicated. As a result it's slow, clunky, and difficult to navigate. I welcome the changes that are on the way - including Cortana. If they live up to promise then Xbox One should become a much more pleasant and intuitive device to use.

As for PS4's UI being awful, I'd have to disagree. It could use some customisation options, such as folders, and remains simplistic compared to the feature set available on PS3, but what is there is fast, slick, and easy to navigate. It's simple and gets the job done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it's not truly current gen, nothing visually looks stunning. It's like upgrading your PC to have slightly higher resolution playing the same games. Even Alien Isolation has jaggies to death.. sooo scary.

Disagree. Rise of the Tomb Raider looks really nice (not Uncharted 4 nice, but it's still a looker) and I have to admire the technical prowess on display in Forza 6 even if I'm not a fan of the art style. Ryse and Sunset Overdrive are also very good looking games.

So while Xbox One is demonstrably not as powerful as PS4, to say it's not of the latest generation is a nonsense in my view.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I have no Xbox 360 games but I still have my PS3 and about 50 games for it so there's no point.

Anyway, the way it's been implemented is less than ideal and even if I had a 360 game collection I'd rather just buy a cheap 360 and play them on that instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    No, I have no Xbox 360 games but I still have my PS3 and about 50 games for it so there's no point.

Anyway, the way it's been implemented is less than ideal and even if I had a 360 game collection I'd rather just buy a cheap 360 and play them on that instead.

Something to note, any 360 games that become available from Game with Gold and subsequently become backward compatible, those games are available to Xbox One owners that don't even own a 360, that's what I've read in another thread about BC. Could reap juicy rewards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something to note, any 360 games that become available from Game with Gold and subsequently become backward compatible, those games are available to Xbox One owners that don't even own a 360, that's what I've read in another thread about BC. Could reap juicy rewards.

Yep, you can add the free Xbox 360 games to your account via the web store. I can confirm Xbox 360 GWG games do work on Xbox One. I currently have Defence Grid and Battleblock Theatre sitting on my Xbox One HDD.