Options

Your words/tips please.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
Forum Member
I'm in a bit of a situation at the moment. Basically through my own fault, my relationship ended just under a month ago. We were getting on reasonably as friends.And i now found out that something is starting up with him and my (well ex i guess) best friend. I was just starting to cope with out him and now i feel I'm right back at square one. Possibly even a few steps back from that! I obviously still have a lot of feelings for this boy.

There is no chance of reconciliation which i was beginning to come to terms with, and was possibly entertaining the thought of him even being with someone else. But the one person in the world i wouldn't of wanted it to be, is the one that its happening with. Like i said, its been less than a month since we split.

I just wondered if any of you guys have been through similar situations and how you cope with things like this. At the moment I'm feeling incredibly low and cant even begin to carry on with my life, i feel like there is no hope.

I would like to hear stories of other people dealing with this, and what things you did to cope and get over it and move on. I need to do something because currently I'm a wreck. :cry:

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    .....or even just a cheery hello from those that are online? im feeling quite alone right now!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone's still in bed :)

Never been in that situation but I'd find out what's really going on before getting myself all upset up over it. If he was getting it together with anyone you'd probably find it tough but with your pal :( You must really feel that she's let you down.

I'm not one of these people that think that friend's ex-boyfriends are off limits for good but I think there is a case for waiting for a reasonable period of time before embarking down that route.

You say that through your own fault the relationship ended, did he come out of it looking like a victim?
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in a bit of a situation at the moment. Basically through my own fault, my relationship ended just under a month ago. We were getting on reasonably as friends.And i now found out that something is starting up with him and my (well ex i guess) best friend. I was just starting to cope with out him and now i feel I'm right back at square one. Possibly even a few steps back from that! I obviously still have a lot of feelings for this boy.

There is no chance of reconciliation which i was beginning to come to terms with, and was possibly entertaining the thought of him even being with someone else. But the one person in the world i wouldn't of wanted it to be, is the one that its happening with. Like i said, its been less than a month since we split.

I just wondered if any of you guys have been through similar situations and how you cope with things like this. At the moment I'm feeling incredibly low and cant even begin to carry on with my life, i feel like there is no hope.

I would like to hear stories of other people dealing with this, and what things you did to cope and get over it and move on. I need to do something because currently I'm a wreck. :cry:
    What did you do that was so bad, was it you or him that ended it?

Who told you they were hooking up? It would make sense to talk to her to find out exactly what the score is.

If he's ready to move on so soon, doesn't it make you wonder how deep his feelings were for you, how long were you together?

When you say no hope, do you mean about another relationship or life in general?

If you feel I'm being too personal just say so, I just tend to find that these things are never as black & white as they initially seem. Sometimes it's not until after a relationship has ended that we actually gain better understanding of the issues and stuff that went on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if it was your fault that the relationship ended, I think he's been pretty insensitive to ask your best friend out & they're not being the friend they should have been if they've agreed to go out with him - as a best friend, they should surely realise that would be difficult for you to deal with. It's bound to be hard for you to see them together, & the normal conversations that friends have about their boy/girlfriends won't be happening either, just at a time when you need a best friend around. :(

If they look to be seeing each other more than just as a "one off", I think you'll have to forget seeing either of them as friends for the time being. He's prepared to move on, even if it's just for appearances sake, & if he's starting a new relationship he's not going to have much time for you anyway. Go out with your other friends, or find new ones or other things to keep you busy for the next month or so. At the moment, you're still feeling quite raw, but hopefully a bit of distance & time between you will help you see things aren't as bad as they seem right now. Sometimes you need to be outside a situation to see what went on more clearly.

Also, I wouldn't take all the blame for the relationship ending on your shoulders. If he can move on so quickly to your best friend, maybe there was a bit of interest there already, so don't assume it's all down to you. Don't allow whatever either of them are doing to get you down. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, we were together 5 years, bearing in mind I'm 22 so quite a size able chunk of my life. It was my fault, i hurt him really bad. He ended it. Nothing has happened between them physically. But there's all this talk of "feelings" and such. My friend has called me selfish for feeling this way and decided now i have been a horrible friend to her for a while. This is not true. I'm not a bad person.

I haven't got copious amounts of friends said best friend has always given me reasons to doubt the people I've hung around with.

I'm finding it so so difficult, i was struggling before this, but i was starting to deal with my feelings and carry on with things. But now its just worse than i ever thought it could be, i cant even begin to get my head around it. I feel physically sick at the thought of it. Its not just the fact hes moved on. Its the fact its her.

I figured it out for myself basically. I know them both better than anyone and I'm not stupid so i could tell something was going off. Talking to them confirmed this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also just for the record. Although I'm obviously devastated by this my issue isn't particularly about him. Although I'm really upset about it i don't feel he owes me anything or has any obligations towards me, i don't deserve that. My issue is with the friend. How she could even consider doing this to me beggars belief. I'm sorry to sound like a pathetic whinger. But i guess that's what i am!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Five years is quite a time, and I totally understand your sense of betrayal, especially at
    your 'friend'. After 5 years, talking about their feelings for each other etc within a
    month is both a bit soon, and incredibly insensitive of them both, despite the reasons
    for the break up.

Bottom line? you have no control over how these two behave, and if this is how they choose
    to behave then you are better off without either in your life.
    It hurts and it's horrible, but you are entering a new phase in your life at a great age -
    you're not so young you're still teenage daft, and you're
    not so old that you're past it!

Things can change in the blink of an eye, and they probably will. Be kind and gentle with yourself,
    and only let yourself have short wallowing sessions before you make yourself do something positive.
    For the moment though, eat comfort food, take exercise, and indulge yourself at least once a week with whatever takes your fancy!

And try something totally new - only you can decide what it should be. You know where
    your comfort zone is, make sure you leave it occasionally.

Keep your dignity & class, let them do and say whatever. She reckons you haven't
    been a friend? Well she has to doesn't she? otherwise she's doing something wrong!

Good luck and a big hug to you :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also just for the record. Although I'm obviously devastated by this my issue isn't particularly about him. Although I'm really upset about it i don't feel he owes me anything or has any obligations towards me, i don't deserve that. My issue is with the friend. How she could even consider doing this to me beggars belief. I'm sorry to sound like a pathetic whinger. But i guess that's what i am!
    No you're not. :) Personally, I think your friend has let you down badly, & you should leave them to get on with it. Just because she calls you selfish, doesn't mean you are being - you're not saying he shouldn't go out with someone else, she's just calling you selfish because she wants to be with him. You were together a long time, a month is nothing & it wouldn't have killed her to say to him "You two have just split up, & though you're getting on, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable going out with you so soon. Let's see how things are in a couple more months". I suspect she's fancied him for a while.

She's not the best friend you thought she was, so don't give her that status. Get yourself out & about, & you will make other friends - look in your local paper, the library or on your council's website to find out things related to any interests you've got. Leave them to each other - she'll need a friend before you need her back in your life. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ Great Post - worded so well robinsbatman!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow, sorry to drag this post up from the past but, wow. What a difference 3 years makes. What a pathetic whinger i was! How's times have changed. I'm now in a wonderful realtionship with a beautiful baby and soon to be married. I'm also good friends again with the girl in question, (also he dumped her and got with HER friend after 2 years together, karma, eh?), but we were friends long before that happened and she truly felt awful about what had happened.

Feel free to just ignore this post and let it silently slide back into the archives! It just made me feel pretty good about where i am at now :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see a positive outcome. How things have changed in three years:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Cat Stew and Xela M read this thread!
  • Options
    Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the thing when you are in situations like that you think everything is so bleak and you feel so down. A real cliche but time is a great healer!
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's exactly what I was thinking.
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once again love saves the day
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update, and glad everything worked out well. :)

By the way, I don't think your friend did anything wrong. He was no longer with you (because of what you did), and she felt something for him. It might have worked out for them. I hope things turned out ok for her too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the update, and glad everything worked out well.

By the way, I don't think your friend did anything wrong. He was no longer with you (because of what you did), and she felt something for him. It might have worked out for them. I hope things turned out ok for her too.

At the time i probably would have disagreed with you. But like i said we made friends whilst they were still together as it no longer was an issue. But he then split up with her, and got with her friend, which made my friend feel incredibly guilty for what she put me through as she had to deal with it herself.

We're just waiting for him to split up with his current gf and get with her friend haha. It must be his thing.