Options

BBC News Channel better than usual . . .

ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
Forum Member
✭✭
. . . as a result of strike. Or at least no worse.:)
Cheap staff can also read an autocue amateurishly.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    LOL :)
    Imagine of the news presenter (whatsername?) had revealed her 85k salary today !:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harrowing wrote: »
    Imagine of the news presenter (whatsername?) had revealed her 85k salary today !:eek:

You could train a battalion of monkeys for that money and I for one, would still watch it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    You could train a battalion of monkeys for that money and I for one, would still watch it.
    :D LOL, as long as there were subtitles.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Harrowing wrote: »

Carrie Gracie (who ?) revealed last year her salary was £93.000 a year when asked by Lord Foulkes in a debate on MP's expenses.

£93K to read an autocue.

Astonishing.

Gracie is not even one of their leading lights on the news channel. She is a mediocre mid-carder at best.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Carrie Gracie (who ?) revealed last year her salary was £93.000 a year when asked by Lord Foulkes in a debate on MP's expenses.

£93K to read an autocue.

Astonishing.

Slightly more to her job than that but then if you didn’t reduce it to it’s most menial description your knowingly inocorrect post wouldn’t make any sense. As you yourself said above, she was "in debate" with Lord Foulkes, holding her own against a belligerent and hostile MP who didn’t take too well to being skewered by a BBC journo who was clearly more intelligent than him. She was not "reading off the autocue" when she was taking him, and other interviewees, to task for their various transgressions, obfuscations and outright lies (as she did skilfully throughout the election campaign). This is why journos of her calibre get decent money (compare to Kerplunk’s £1m from Five and it seems like small beer) and if they did not we’d be poorly served by the shop-window dummies that the Beeb have on stand-by to metaphorically doff their caps to every MP and Minister that graces them with a self-serving word or two.
  • Options
    samandmaisamandmai Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »

£93K to read an autocue.

Astonishing.

Gracie is not even one of their leading lights on the news channel. She is a mediocre mid-carder at best.

A 'mediocre mid-carder' who happens to speak fluent Chinese, has done a huge amount of reporting from that country, also works for the BBC World Service, provided fantastic insights during the Beijing Olympics, and is an excellent interviewer to boot, and all for about a grand a week - superb value !!!. Try getting your facts straight before coming on here to air your petty little prejudices !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samandmai wrote: »
    A 'mediocre mid-carder' who happens to speak fluent Chinese, has done a huge amount of reporting from that country, also works for the BBC World Service, provided fantastic insights during the Beijing Olympics, and is an excellent interviewer to boot, and all for about a grand a week - superb value !!!. Try getting your facts straight before coming on here to air your petty little prejudices !

This is all true but how much of it is actually relevant to newsreading (as opposed to interviewing)?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't help but wonder if the newsreaders have shot them seleves in the foot. judging by hat i've read, most people prefer the new people!
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    samandmai wrote: »
    Try getting your facts straight before coming on here to air your petty little prejudices !
    Not a chance. Wouldn't be the same if all these BBC naysayers did that :p
    This is all true but how much of it is actually relevant to newsreading (as opposed to interviewing)?
    No surprise there then. Try doing some research and educating yourself. Then perhaps you might have a clue for the next time this is debated on here :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a chance. Wouldn't be the same if all these BBC naysayers did that :p

No surprise there then. Try doing some research and educating yourself. Then perhaps you might have a clue for the next time this is debated on here :)

Next time she reads the auto-cue in fluent Mandarin I promise I'll be impressed.
    Don't be so rude; unless you're her dad, it's really not necessary.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad the strike has introduced us to some new faces on the News Channel - let's hope they'll stick around as they are an improvement on some of the existing incumbents

Gavin Grey
    Chris Rogers
    Anne Davies
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are some people thinking its just the presenters that were on strike? It's all those within BBC News, i.e. techies, reporters, behind the scenes etc that are part of a union that will be striking this weekend not just the ones that read in front of the camera.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I'm glad the strike has introduced us to some new faces on the News Channel - let's hope they'll stick around as they are an improvement on some of the existing incumbents

Gavin Grey
    Chris Rogers
    Anne Davies

Makes a change to see some different faces who just get on with their job, instead of the usual overpaid bunch of luvvies who sit there gossiping amongst themselves, especially on BBC Breakfast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are some people thinking its just the presenters that were on strike? It's all those within BBC News, i.e. techies, reporters, behind the scenes etc that are part of a union that will be striking this weekend not just the ones that read in front of the camera.

It's the NUJ which is on strike, not BECTU so I guess it's up to the individuals as to whether they cross the picket lines or not.

The point of my thread was just to point out that it doesn't really matter who reads the news. There are just as many fluffs and looks at the wrong camera (plus wrongly spelt captions which obviously aren't the presenters' fault) as usual.
    BBC presenters' salaries are just a poker game and one side is long overdue for calling the other's bluff.:)
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheap staff can also read an autocue amateurishly.

How do you know they're cheap? I would have thought the hourly rate for a freelancer is higher than a salaried person would receive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    How do you know they're cheap? I would have thought the hourly rate for a freelancer is higher than a salaried person would receive.

It is but then the freelance has to look after his/her own tax, pension arrangements and other matters that a staff member doesn't - and the pension is what this dispute is all about.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone missing the usual highly paid newsreaders?, the new ones are just as good and it doesn't need two of them to read an autocue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Is anyone missing the usual highly paid newsreaders?, the new ones are just as good and it doesn't need two of them to read an autocue.

QED.:)
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Makes a change to see some different faces who just get on with their job, instead of the usual overpaid bunch of luvvies who sit there gossiping amongst themselves, especially on BBC Breakfast.

I've certainly seen some of these people before on many of my late-night "can't get to sleep so put on BBC News" experiences. And I should make it clear that I don't watch them to send me to sleep!

My point is that they are probably not freelancers or new to the screen; they are just late-night/early-morning people who have been pushed into prime time, and very grateful we all are!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most of the technical people are not members of the NUJ, more likely to be ACTT or BECTU, and those unions have already accepted the BBC pension deal so no reason for their members to be on strike.I doubt the NUJ ever intended to take the BBC ''off the air'' but simply to hit news programmes. It would be almost impossible to take the BBC ''off the air'' completely as there are hundreds of managers who can operate equipment etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    I thought it was very refreshing to see the new faces and I didn't miss the 'dinosaurs' one little bit. I think the Beeb should refresh their staff more often.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was very refreshing to see the new faces and I didn't miss the 'dinosaurs' one little bit. I think the Beeb should refresh their staff more often.

Maybe next time the commissioning editors will go on strike.:)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't think i've actually seen a standard news bulletin on BBC News this weekend. Every time i've switched over it's been a pre-recorded report from somewhere in the world. A lot of Chinese/Asian reports.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Next time she reads the auto-cue in fluent Mandarin I promise I'll be impressed.
    Right. And when do you think she'd need to do that, here in the UK? :rolleyes:

I don't know; maybe I'm just easily impressed, but I have to have the greatest respect for anyone who can not only talk in coherent sentences, but also conduct interviews, etc., with this going on in their ear all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right. And when do you think she'd need to do that, here in the UK? :rolleyes:.

QED.:)