Options

Why do people buy MASSIVE tv's?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    BluRay ona big screen is brilliant.

A good game on a big screen is also brilliant.

You can really appreciate the graphic quality and get wowed by the Uncharted games
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrs bomb picked up a 26" flatscreen in the sales, to replace the 20" CRT. Because there's far less casing it fits the same space perfectly & looks soo-poib. Each to their own. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, logically, it would be harder for thieves to get away with bigger ones, so it makes sense.

:Ds

• Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    We have a 25" 4:3 CRT and for some reason have to justify it "why don't you get a widescreen one" or "you should have an LCD by now". Well I love films, sci-fi and all sorts and aim to watch a film per day and at no time has my TV spoiled the viewing experience for us - the screen dissapears as it were and we are there with the action and enjoying it. Sitting back 8 feet from the screen is about right with 25" 4:3 models.

That's exactly what I have - a Philips, which is 11 years old, and last year I picked up a near identical model for free at a local council recycling event, where electrical equipment is checked and if found to be in good order can be taken by the public rather than sent to be destroyed. I was delighted, and hope that these two TVs will keep me going for many years. I've also got a couple of nice CRT portables from similar events.

All these TVs have much better picture quality (for SD - I have no interest in HD) and superior sound to what people are shelling out hundreds of pounds for now.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    ItsNick wrote: »
    There seems to be a fashion at the moment with people buying tv's that are WAY too big for their living room.
    They go on about how they bought a 42" or a 50" or whatever and I end up thinking why?

My parents have bought a 40" tv and I literally can't watch it.
    A 32" would have been fine but there seems to be this attitude at the moment that the bigger the tv the better it is.

You cant watch a 40" telly? Rubbish!!

Anyway, its not up to you to decide what's too big for someone's living room..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brite House mostly, probably OP.

Bright House...shudder. We have one in our town centre. I wouldn't go near it if you paid me. Their advert used to make me laugh though, showing smug people shopping there who acted as though it was awesome and that they were superior for using it. I would rather have literally nothing than use a service like Bright House.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing about large TVs I find is that sporting events and concerts like look amazing in HD and you can see all the people there in crowds.
  • Options
    Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing about large TVs I find is that sporting events and concerts like look amazing in HD and you can see all the people there in crowds.

I am following the Tour de France and the quality is quite outstanding on my 46”, it gets even better when the race is in the mountain stages.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    That's exactly what I have - a Philips, which is 11 years old, and last year I picked up a near identical model for free at a local council recycling event, where electrical equipment is checked and if found to be in good order can be taken by the public rather than sent to be destroyed. I was delighted, and hope that these two TVs will keep me going for many years. I've also got a couple of nice CRT portables from similar events.

All these TVs have much better picture quality (for SD - I have no interest in HD) and superior sound to what people are shelling out hundreds of pounds for now.

Philips here too - they have really nice picture quality. I remember Hombase doing a deal on the 28" version around 2006 for £99 inclunding stand! I wanted to get a few but ours is still going and they were too big to just store 'in case'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Cos they're great. My next will be in the 55-60 inch range.

This!!
    shmisk wrote: »
    small penis's

I wasn't aware they had the ability to possess TVs.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Philips here too - they have really nice picture quality. I remember Hombase doing a deal on the 28" version around 2006 for £99 inclunding stand! I wanted to get a few but ours is still going and they were too big to just store 'in case'.

Also I think they do need to be used - they don't appreciate long periods of inactivity, so I make sure my 'spares' are all fired up every couple of weeks, just to keep them ticking over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to seeing the Olympics opening ceremony on the big set. I bet it will look fantastic.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Because I've got a massive lounge and anything smaller than 42inch would look silly in it.

This.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a 46 inch and I got it as I knew that it would increase my viewing pleasure. It's not rocket science.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brite House mostly, probably OP.

Mine's not, thanks:D

You'd have to be daft to do that. You pay about 3 times it's worth through those bandits!
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    I really wouldn't be able to watch over 26" with SD DTT Freeview the picture quality is just to poor to my eyes there would have to be more HD free sat channels, Is free sat SD PQ watchable on a 50"?
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    There seems to be a fashion at the moment with people buying tv's that are WAY too big for their living room.
    They go on about how they bought a 42" or a 50" or whatever and I end up thinking why?

My parents have bought a 40" tv and I literally can't watch it.
    A 32" would have been fine but there seems to be this attitude at the moment that the bigger the tv the better it is.

Because they've never been cheaper.

Large TVs used to be the preserve of the wealthy, but now the 'peasants' can actually afford them & they're making up for lost time.

I've just bought a 51" which truth be told, is too big for where I live, but I don't care.

It's great & it almost feels like I'm in a cinema on the 2nd row!!!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Its well known that the size of a house's main TV is adversely proportional to their level of class.

You mean 'inversely proportional'. ;)
    Any middle class person would know that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finglonga wrote: »
    We have a 51" plasma one and it takes up less room than our old 32" CRT.

It's like being at the cinema without the sticky floor.

That is definitely part of it.

People go to a cinema to watch films on a BIG screen...why should anyone not want to watch a film on he biggest screen they can in their house.
  • Options
    N3dSt4rkN3dSt4rk Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    c'mon have you Watched Star Wars on a 50 incher?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    It's also the quality of the TV that matters, I'd take a good 42" over a Tesco 50" any day.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    We are watching the tennis in HD on our 50" and it is stunning . I love the size, it is perfect, we also have a 42" in the dining room for gaming, a must.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    We are watching the tennis in HD on our 50" and it is stunning . I love the size, it is perfect, we also have a 42" in the dining room for gaming, a must.

Same here - we have a 54" Samsung and it's wonderful for watching everything in HD. Wildlife programmes and Strictly are just fantastic on it. It's in our living room which is approx. 21' x 20 ' so not out of place at all.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Ours is a Samsung too, plasma, our lounge isnt as big as yours but it sits nicely in the corner, does not dominate and makes telvision an enjoyable experience.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had absolutely no idea what size TV I had until reading this, never given it a second thought, looking at it now, the screen cannot be anymore than 2ft/24 inch or so. It does everything I've ever wanted a.TV to do.

My mate has a TV that has its own postcode and in HD, surround sound, you name it and it has it. He spent months trying to get me round there to watch football, assured me it will be like no game I'd ever seen & he couldn't back to watching matches on a normal TV after having watched them on that.

Genuinely, I couldn't really see any difference. After two minutes you're engrossed in a match or film that same way as I was normally and forgot it was supposedly a better experience.