Has a celebrity on Twitter ever disappointed you with their behaviour?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with the extremes of those going on too much about God...whether they love him or hate him.

Stephen Fry is starting to get on my nerves a bit with it, he wasn't so bad but now every few days you get a tirade of his anti-religion gibberish, followed by a "and that's enough of that" tweet for it only to continue for another hour.

I don't follow Ricky Gervais for the same reason but he always gets retweeted onto my feed.
  • Tori's SoapboxTori's Soapbox Posts: 4,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivy Rose wrote: »
    This thread is inspired by the topic about The Wanted's fued with 1D, but also by the fact that I've just unfollowed Mark Gatiss due to his really nasty comments following Thatcher's death. Now, obviously celebs are entitled to express opinions like everyone else but when these celebs are working professionals who set something of an example to people due to their media presence I do think they should be able to be mature enough to think about what they're saying.

I'm actually really considering ditching Twitter (and Facebook) as although it can be useful, I find it's showing me a side of people I'd rather not see.

I'd hate to be a celebrity in this age of social media. At least as a "regular" person I don't feel like I have to promote myself unless I want to.
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything 'really nasty' from Mark Gatiss. :confused:
    boddism wrote: »
    Really?? Ive just had a look & either hes deleted a load of stuff or you're really sensitive.

Re: Thatchers death... Mark Gatiss is a comedian. Comedians (mostly) hate the Tories. Hence comedians will be rude to Thatcher on the day of her death.

If anti Thatcher comments annoy anyone I suggest people avoid Twitter over the next few days.

I hate all the vitriolic stuff being posted about Margaret Thatchers death but I have to say I've not seen anything, in my opinion, that has been offensive or nasty from Mark Gatiss either :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Also, so this doesn't become just yet another Thatcher related thread, I unfollowed Stephen Fry ages ago for being dull as ditchwater. I like his work on TV but on Twitter he's a snoozefest.

:cry: this.

I don't get how someone so interesting (I was in the audience of QI and could honestly say he made me chuckle more than the comedians) could be so boring on twitter.

I had to quit because of how unbecoming some celebs were - that and it ruined shows I would be watching on iplayer.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,037
    Forum Member
    Completely agree about Ricky Gervais. I unfollowed him too, a crushing, egocentric bore on twitter.
  • Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    ghettodemi wrote: »

I had to quit because of how unbecoming some celebs were - that and it ruined shows I would be watching on iplayer.

I think I'm on the verge of quitting Twitter for the same reason. It makes me anxious or annoyed more often than not, and who needs that? :sleep:
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    yeah Lord Sugar praising Thatcher was enough for me to unfollow him

what would yo expect from him of all people!!!:eek:
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate all the vitriolic stuff being posted about Margaret Thatchers death but I have to say I've not seen anything, in my opinion, that has been offensive or nasty from Mark Gatiss either :)

Its inevitable, that Thatcher would get such scathing vitriol, she made the poor poorer and the rich richer. And with the current political system riding on her 'values', people without priviledge have every right to feel that vitriol.

I work for people with complex are needs, and the first thing that came out of my mouth was "ding dong the witch is dead", x3 other workers said exactly the same quote, at the same time... I'll save my compassion for those that DESERVE it.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some boybanders are classy. They know who they are.

Others are like mouths on wheels on Twitter, arguing back and forth instead of just letting things lie. Or at least someone wants it to look that way.

It wouldn't bother me except they have such a massive influence and pull on the behaviour of young girls. They know their fandoms are volatile at the best of times. So, instead of being gents and agreeing to disagree, a few of them create drama and encourage (unwittingly or otherwise) aggressive, copycat behaviour from thier and rival fans.

It's not the worst of the worst but it's irritating as it's such big news every time something happens and they are so influential.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Its inevitable, that Thatcher would get such scathing vitriol, she made the poor poorer and the rich richer. And with the current political system riding on her 'values', people without priviledge have every right to feel that vitriol.

I work for people with complex are needs, and the first thing that came out of my mouth was "ding dong the witch is dead", x3 other workers said exactly the same quote, at the same time... I'll save my compassion for those that DESERVE it.

My own view, whilst not having much of a dog in this fight and being too young to remember the miners fights, is that she was a strong character who pre-empted the rise of the service sector in Britain (basically she knew we were going to turn into a giant shoptill for a few years). Heavy industry was dying, we couldn't compete with much of the rest of the world.

Now the shoptill has rung dry and we need heavy industry back (and healthy competition therein) any change in economic status would logically be a part of a new government drive and system.

She lived for her time. Those times are now other times. Nobody can please everyone all the time. And I speak as a working-class northern chump. Or so the assumption goes.
  • Tori's SoapboxTori's Soapbox Posts: 4,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »

You're entitled to your opinion as are others and I agree negative comments were inevitable.

However, I'm not on this thread for a political debate on the rights and wrongs of Thatcher. Just wanted to add my view that I''ve not seen anything particularly offensive about Mark Gatiss :)
  • sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone follow Emma Freud? She 'writes' a gadget column for Tatler and seems to always get her followers to do the column for her. If she's interviewing anyone she gets a list of questions from Twitter.She also blags freebies whenever she can. She annoys me to death but I suppose u have to admire such blatent cheek!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    I unfollowed Caitlin Moran once i realised that she is a) not very funny, b) quite full of her own self importance and c) extremely rude

I also follow Louise Mensch and she annoys me everyday.... i may have to unfollow her soon too.

Me too. Caitlin was a real disappointment.
    Also, so this doesn't become just yet another Thatcher related thread, I unfollowed Stephen Fry ages ago for being dull as ditchwater. I like his work on TV but on Twitter he's a snoozefest.

Stephen Fry was another big disappointment. I really can live without knowing what airport he's in and where he's jetting off to. :mad:

Generally speaking, I now follow very few celebs because mostly they only use twitter to promote themseves . Al Murray is an exception because, although he does self promote, he is quite amusing with it.
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    Interesting. I also unfollowed Lord Sugar, Strphen Fry and Ricky Gervais, for all the reasons already mentioned. I am thinking about unfollowing Gary Linekar as well because he seems to talk to Piers Morgan far too often.

What is it with celebs and Piers Morgan?

Most celebs on twitter are dull. Eddie Izzard is a particular example, but I can't bring myself to unfollow him because of years of unrequited love.

I like David Schneider and Grace Dent does good links to articles.

I thought Victoria Coren would be sharp and witty, she's not. Suzanne Moore is a disappointment. Richard Bacon never seems to tweet and is therefore disappointing.

I guess HRH Prince Charles, Mrs Stephen Fry and The Roy Cropper are my faves.

I have just added Al Murray on earthling13's recommendation.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philip Schofield sometimes acts like an arse on Twitter. He can't take any criticism at all and if anyone does dare to say anything negative about anything he's involved in he will call them "losers" and block them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philip Schofield sometimes acts like an arse on Twitter. He can't take any criticism at all and if anyone does dare to say anything negative about anything he's involved in he will call them "losers" and block them.

I unfollowed him for these reasons too

plus I didn't like the way he responded to one negative troll like comment by tweeting a comeback to the guy making out that the tweeter was gay in a ridicule type of way and therefore implying that being gay was a negative thing/insult
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Interesting. I also unfollowed Lord Sugar, Strphen Fry and Ricky Gervais, for all the reasons already mentioned. I am thinking about unfollowing Gary Linekar as well because he seems to talk to Piers Morgan far too often.

What is it with celebs and Piers Morgan?

Most celebs on twitter are dull. Eddie Izzard is a particular example, but I can't bring myself to unfollow him because of years of unrequited love.

I followed him after watching Meet the Izzards a few weeks ago. He's dull as ditchwater.
    I followed Missy Elliot but there's no point as all she does is retweet praise, which gets incredibly boring.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »
    I unfollowed him for these reasons too

plus I didn't like the way he responded to one negative troll like comment by tweeting a comeback to the guy making out that the tweeter was gay in a ridicule type of way and therefore implying that being gay was a negative thing/insult

He actually went to the trouble of following one disparaging tweeter just so he send them a nasty DM.
  • rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see anything nasty from Mark Gatiss either. He always seems quite pleasant and well balanced on Twitter.

I've almost unfollowed his mate Reece Shearsmith on a few occasions despite being a huge fan of his; he can be ultra sensitive to criticism and quite abrupt, but also very funny and nice too. On balance I have 'kept' him :D
    Me-Cheetah wrote: »

And Lewis Hamilton for tweeting gibberish.

Me too. Couldn't make head or tail.
    Totally agree with the extremes of those going on too much about God...whether they love him or hate him.

This winds me up no end. I'm not religious but I do respect religion and I've had to unfollow several people because of constant God-bashing and vocal, militant atheism. I can't say I've come across the opposite yet though.
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    people moaning about folk retweeting stuff i hope you realise that you can turn retweets off
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one here who found Ricky Gervais dreadful on twitter, i actually thought he might have something interesting to say but no, every day was another anti religion rant.
    Ill counter this with 2 people who are lovely on twitter, Marian Keyes who is absolutely brilliant and funny, and Natalie Gumede (Kirsty from Corrie) who usually replies and is always friendly and appreciative of her fans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He actually went to the trouble of following one disparaging tweeter just so he send them a nasty DM.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/phillip-schofield-i-was-bad-at-taking-drugs-in-the-eighties-8580789.html

Schofield also revealed his covert tactics to deal with nuisance Twitter followers. Rather than rising to the bait, he follows them, sends a direct message, unfollows them, watches their outrage and then blocks them.

He added: “I have a secret account so that I can leave it a day or so, and then occasionally go back and have a look and see if they’re still furious!”

plonker
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree about Ricky Gervais. I unfollowed him too, a crushing, egocentric bore on twitter.

Sorry, but that's how I see him in real life too so that's no great shock to me.

I loathe zelebs who retweet platitudes and sycophancy every 2 minutes.. Aisleyne from BB is one of the worst: 'babez, i red ur book and u r my queen u r so strong babez'.

Absolutely appalling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    When nobodies retweet compliments or pretend to have seen hate so they can write about "lol hataz" which is why I have them all muted. :)
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deffo. Remind me how old he is again?
    Mid life crisis old :p