Options

is it disrespectful not to attend a funeral of a family member?

carlos_jacksoncarlos_jackson Posts: 168
Forum Member
Anyone here who doesn't attend funerals? What if you thought there was going to be trouble, family members fighting? Would you feel guilty for not attending?

Comments

• Options
    theworldisajoketheworldisajoke Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    IMO you can pay your respect in other ways, it should not be compulsory to attend the funeral if you do not feel comfortable. TBH I think the funeral is more about paying respect to the family and being supportive.
    I remember my brother did not attend my grandmothers funeral, he said it was too painful.
    You don't say how close the relative is (ie immediate family member or bit more distant). I think it is respectful to let the immediate family know you will not be going and state your reasons but maybe say you will pay your respects in other ways.
    In my experience you will not get any trouble at the service so maybe go for this but don't attend the wake afterwards.... this is usually where trouble brews esp if alcohol is involved - there is no reason why you have to stay for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go to the service to pay my respects, sit at the back/side and not go to the wake as suggested above.
    Most of my family do not get on but attend funerals just as a mark of respect.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't stay away from the funeral of someone I cared about just because others might misbehave. I would attend the service, make a donation to their chosen charity then leave.

On the other hand if you were just attending out of a sense of duty I wouldn't bother. I only go to funerals if I liked/loved the person or if I want to give support to the family.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have attended funerals before for sense of duty rather than love/liking someone. Thinking back to it I am glad I did because it was not for me or the deceased; it was a reminder to others that there was a sense of respect involved. I think that gave some sort of comfort to others.

When it comes to family it's always a tough call but I would still attend and as has been suggested, stay out the way and don't attend the wake.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've attended one funeral. It was for my brother-in-law and was well attended. It was performed in the same church and by the same vicar who married BIL and my sister. The vicar got the deceased's name wrong, my sister went into hysterics and it descended into anarchy after that.

My sister was comforted by the fact that many people came to pay their respects.

I will never attend another religious funeral.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I strongly dislike religious funerals because I refuse to say the prayers. I used to mime during the hymns but now simply stand there looking at the person's photo on the hymn sheet.

I have been to two non-religious funerals and the proceedings seemed far more honest and dignified... not to mention with far better music :D
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    I refused to say the prayers

or to put it another way, you decided not to join in.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with respect for the dead and all to do with supporting the grieving living relatives so yes I do attend family funerals.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Nothing to do with respect for the dead and all to do with supporting the grieving living relatives so yes I do attend family funerals.

Yep, I think that, too.
    The person who's died is beyond caring who's there and who's not, after all.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Anyone here who doesn't attend funerals? What if you thought there was going to be trouble, family members fighting? Would you feel guilty for not attending?

It's more important to see someone when they are alive.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more important to see someone when they are alive.

Just how I feel. I had an uncle who never went to weddings or funerals and he was a lovely kind man who always made you feel ever so welcome when we visited him.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Greek funerals. You can simply walk into the church, light a candle, walk out and go home. Afterwards, everyone thanks you for taking the trouble to go. :)

As regards "disrespectful", the person is dead so they aren't going to care. Only you know whether the relatives will care about your non-attendance and whether that matters to you or to the people you really care about.

You can do what you personally feel is right and to heck with the consequences; or you can attend the service for the minimum amount of time required to keep most people happy; or you can go and stick it out to the bitter end.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, i think you go to a funeral to remember and pay respect to the deceased, so i would go. You dont have to go to the wake.

I struggle to see the difference it makes whether it is a religious ceremony of any denomination, or a secular humanist ceremony.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So do you attend any family gatherings at all?
    Are you afraid they'd fight at a wedding?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are only two reasons I would go to a funeral.

1) it's the funeral of someone I deeply cared about

2) to support someone I deeply care about

I do not see the point of going to a funeral just to show your face. If you didn't like them when they were alive and you don't need to support anyone who did happen to like them then why go?
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're not going to attend, send a sympathy card to the immediate family and make sure you telephone to tell them you won't be there but that you're thinking of them. That avoids any offence being taken.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife never goes to a funeral - she never went to her Mum's, Dad's 3 x Brothers, Mother-in-law, and several friends. She just doesn't like them and has even said that if I go before her, she won't attend mine. Fair enough, as far as I'm concerned. She shows her love to the living!
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    im 21 yet have never been to a funeral. we have a small family and the only person i have lost so far is my grandad but we didn't go for private family reasons.
    in an ideal world none of us want to go to a funeral for someone we love but i know that when my either of my grandparents go i want to support my dad who is very close to his parents and also show my respects because i love them very much. i hate death and all things like that but i will still brave going. same with when my parents and others eventually go to.
    i however wouldn't go like others have said to show my face. i will only go to funerals of close family or friends , never for someone i don't know. i find that more disrespectful that not attending and like others have said a simple phone call or card is enough for distant relatives or people you know but not well.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    My wife never goes to a funeral - she never went to her Mum's, Dad's 3 x Brothers, Mother-in-law, and several friends. She just doesn't like them and has even said that if I go before her, she won't attend mine. Fair enough, as far as I'm concerned. She shows her love to the living!

I like the sound of your wife.:). My Dad died about 7 years ago and I went to that to support my Mum. It really upset me though and I felt uncomfortable because neither of my brothers spoke to me.

My mum is late 80s and she has already said that when her times comes she doesn't mind if I don't go to her funeral if it would upset me that much.

Since my Dad's funeral I have only been to one service and that was a celebration of a very elderly lady's life. I didn't go the cremation. I have made my apologies to quite a few others including a close former school friend.

I like to think I also give my love to the living. So thank you for that post.