Handling annoying people/learning to be more tolerant

2»

Comments

• chasing_starschasing_stars Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Hey folks. Was out tonight and he didn't dare try the straw thing. Asked why I only had one straw in my drink and I said cos in only need one in a firm voice. Did try and wind me up about it and i said firmly again, I only need 1 straw. He did get another girl, who i actually get on with, to put three in and she said infront of him "don't get the straw thing" and I went "me neither".

He did hover about a bit too much and i tried to be polite. Only bit that slightly annoyed was a new person (a guy) came up to me and introduced himself and me and another girl were chatting to this guy when straws came up planted himself down in the middle and started a conversation. Rude much. But yeah you're right. Don't want to be too standoffish but it's getting annoying now. He'll get the hint hopefully someday. The answer probably is to get a boyfriend ... Not him obvs

It's a social meetup thing. Designed to get you meeting new people/expanding my social circle
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey folks. Was out tonight and he didn't dare try the straw thing. Asked why I only had one straw in my drink and I said cos in only need one in a firm voice. Did try and wind me up about it and i said firmly again, I only need 1 straw. He did get another girl, who i actually get on with, to put three in and she said infront of him "don't get the straw thing" and I went "me neither".

He did hover about a bit too much and i tried to be polite. Only bit that slightly annoyed was a new person (a guy) came up to me and introduced himself and me and another girl were chatting to this guy when straws came up planted himself down in the middle and started a conversation. Rude much. But yeah you're right. Don't want to be too standoffish but it's getting annoying now. He'll get the hint hopefully someday. The answer probably is to get a boyfriend ... Not him obvs

It's a social meetup thing. Designed to get you meeting new people/expanding my social circle

Not necessarily! It sounds like you've stood up to this idiot quite well on your own. Just be firm and polite and if that doesn't work, follow Annette's advice! :D
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He fancies you. He is still trying to get your attention. Ignore him. He will get the message sooner or later or will switch his attention to somebody else.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose one way to really find out his intentions is to make up a boyfriend the next time you're there. you don't have to rub it in his face but just make sure he hears you mention "a guy i'm seeing" on a few occasions.

but then, to be fair, reading what you've written about him OP, it wouldn't completely surprise me if it turned out he's got aspergers. If you look at the definition from Wiki ..
    ..is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, alongside restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests

IF that's the case then he certainly wouldn't pick up on the fact that his behaviour is irritating and annoying.
    Forum Member

but then, to be fair, reading what you've written about him OP, it wouldn't completely surprise me if it turned out he's got aspergers. If you look at the definition from Wiki ..

IF that's the case then he certainly wouldn't pick up on the fact that his behaviour is irritating and annoying.

Have often wondered this and have been reasoning with myself to cut him a bit of slack. It wouldn't surprise me if he does have aspergers... I'll be looking away and I can see him doing this twitchy looking at me thing and he does have a habit of zoning in on certain things in conversation. So going forward going to try and be a bit more tolerant and cut him a bit of slack but going to have to be firm as well. For someone whose very early 30s, I'm surprised he's not picked up the obvious she's not interested so I'm beginning to wonder if the aspergers theory is correct. Sadly, people don't talk about illnesses/conditions like this so its hard to know for sure.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll get the hint hopefully someday.

There's a common misconception amongst females that males understand hints. Generally, they don't. You have to spell it out - especially for this one. He fancies the pants off you but he's clearly inadequate, as witnessed by his limited idea of teasing you.

You need to get the others on your side. Speak to each individually and explain how this guy is spoiling your outings. Ask them to keep him away from you. If they won't, then they don't think much of you so go figure.
    Forum Member
    Thanks folks. Another night out last night, think he's maybe taken the hint and my aspergers theory was correct. A group of us were having a conversation and the subject of aspergers came up just as a topic of conversation and he shuffled very uncomfortably for the whole duration of the conversation. He actually didn't bother me as much last night, so here's hoping.