LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 28)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    TomWhitton wrote: »
    Now they've got Kay Burley, we're probably not far off Katie Hopkins getting her own show.

That will be the day when I stop listening to LBC. :o
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Allen has been at LBC since day one. He's the longest serving presenter. He'll need too catch up on his sleep with an extra day. I'm sure he can as some have pointed out in the past - ' he sits in front of a TV watching Daytime TV just wearing his pants eating cereal from a packet. All forgetting he's actually sitting at LBC recording ' In Conversation' a few times a week and drinking tea at Harrods or is it the Ritz ha
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Kay. She's good on TV and Radio.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Steve Allen has been at LBC since day one. He's the longest serving presenter.

Wrong! He was not there on Day 1 ! I am not sure who is the longest serving him or Clive Bull. Both have had breaks during their time there though.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Steve Allen has been at LBC since day one. He's the longest serving presenter. He'll need too catch up on his sleep with an extra day. I'm sure he can as some have pointed out in the past - ' he sits in front of a TV watching Daytime TV just wearing his pants eating cereal from a packet. All forgetting he's actually sitting at LBC recording ' In Conversation' a few times a week and drinking tea at Harrods or is it the Ritz ha

No, he hasn't.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed JOB's discussion this morning about pay day lenders. He does topics like this very well IMO. he even managed to get through the entire hour without mentioning UKIP! Well done James.

He was on good form this morning, probably because he kept away from politics.
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    I'm pleased about Steve Allen being back on Sunday mornings, although it's still a little bit early for my liking!

But... Kay Burley and Andrew Pierce? Plus Stig. Could it get any more right-wing tabloid? It's certainly not bringing me back into LBC's arms, but rather driving me even further away.

What a disappointing set of changes. Last time Andrew Pierce had his own show they had to add Kevin Maguire after a while to provide some semblance of balance.

When I last filled out a Your LBC survey, I asked for a more varied set of viewpoints from presenters. Perhaps they interpreted that as not right wing enough. Sky's ambulance chaser in chief, one of the Mail's more spiteful columnists and a bloke from the Sun were not what I had in mind.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Positive news all round. Delighted that Andrew Pierce is back, wouldn't mind if he teamed up with Kevin Maguire as they work well as a duo doing the Sky News paper review. Really don't know how Steve will be able to do another early morning start., but the more the merrier. It always struck me as bizarre that In Conversation only went out at some godforsaken hour on a sunday morning , so a 9pm repeat is good news .
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Kay 'foot-in-mouth' Burley! They are having a laugh, an early April Fool joke, maybe!

The only worse one I can think of would be the Hopkins 'thing'.

LBC seem to excel in the very worst of women presenters, all collected on one station.

A truly hideous addition, but as I have got used to listening elsewhere at weekends until Abbot and Bull time, it won't affect me - I sitill won't be tuning in!

The Sunday SA show is good news though.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed JOB's discussion this morning about pay day lenders. He does topics like this very well IMO. he even managed to get through the entire hour without mentioning UKIP! Well done James.

Roll up! Roll up! Come and see a girl punched in the face and beaten up. Roll up!

And Gobber has the nerve to have a go at the tabloids.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Roll up! Roll up! Come and see a girl punched in the face and beaten up. Roll up!

And Gobber has the nerve to have a go at the tabloids.

Don't worry, you can listen to Kay Burley soon. I think she'll be more your thing, especially if she reviews stuff from the Daily Mail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Kay 'foot-in-mouth' Burley! They are having a laugh, an early April Fool joke, maybe!

I have never watched or listened to her since the April Jones fiasco ....
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TomWhitton wrote: »
    Now they've got Kay Burley, we're probably not far off Katie Hopkins getting her own show.

Ghastly , ghastly news. And Katie Hopkins is next on the list. Mark my words! >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong! He was not there on Day 1 ! I am not sure who is the longest serving him or Clive Bull. Both have had breaks during their time there though.

TIs..Twas....still is- Clive Bull ;-)

Steve mentioned on several ( !!!) occasions during CB's most recent absence that he was now the longest serving presenter :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The only worse one I can think of would be the Hopkins 'thing'.

LBC seem to excel in the very worst of women presenters, all collected on one station.

A truly hideous addition, but as I have got used to listening elsewhere at weekends until Abbot and Bull time, it won't affect me - I sitill won't be tuning in!

The Sunday SA show is good news though.

Agreed. >:(>:(>:(
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Steve mentioned on several ( !!!) occasions during CB's most recent absence that he was now the longest serving presenter :)

I'm not sure Steve's right about that and I agree with you CC. Clive started at LBC before Steve and Steve was not on LBC for 2 years after he was dropped in the 1990s. Overall, I think Clive has been on LBC for longer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last time Kay Burley and Stig Abel did a show together on LBC, I think during the Christmas/New Year period, I didn't mind Mr Abel as much as I thought I would but Kay Burley was ghastly. The only appointment that could be worse than Ms Burley would be Andrew Pierce and LBC have gone and re-employed him too. I won't be listening to either show.
  • coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    "Her decision to join has clearly delighted LBC's owner, Global Radio. Its director of broadcasting, Richard Park, described her as "one of the UK's leading news broadcasters".

He said: "Her skill of holding politicians and leading authority figures to account will make Sunday mornings a must-listen around the country on LBC." "

It will not be a "must-listen" for me.

For me it will be a "must-listen" to another radio station. Shes not very good on Sky News, and has been even worse on the radio - she just not a very good presenter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure Steve's right about that and I agree with you CC. Clive started at LBC before Steve and Steve was not on LBC for 2 years after he was dropped in the 1990s. Overall, I think Clive has been on LBC for longer.

I thought Clive started at Steve's phone opp?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The LBC website describes Kay Burley "the longest-serving news presenter on British television", clearly trying to big her up but that is simply not true. Alastair Stewart has been presenting the news on ITV since the 1970s which pre-dates Ms Burley's TV career. Probably as taste of the distortions and inaccuracies we can expect from Ms Burley.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think LBC need to remind themselves why Andrew Pierce was let go last time. His return is a backward step and almost makes me feel sorry for complaining about Andrew Castle.

I'm pleased there will be more Steve Allen and it shows LBC still have confidence in him. It does create a problem though. If a big news story breaks on Saturday evening we will now have to wait until 8am on Sunday before a proper discussion can be had on the subject.

I'm not keen on having different times on Sunday compared to the rest of the week.

I think LBCs current weekday line up is the strongest it has been in a long time, but for some reason the weekends remain weak.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    I thought Clive started at Steve's phone opp?

I thought he started as a phone operator on Jellybone which he later presented and it's successor Young London. I think at one point he did work on one of Steve's shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The LBC website describes Kay Burley "the longest-serving news presenter on British television", clearly trying to big her up but that is simply not true. Alastair Stewart has been presenting the news on ITV since the 1970s which pre-dates Ms Burley's TV career. Probably as taste of the distortions and inaccuracies we can expect from Ms Burley.

LBC usually do this: I remember the press release when Andrew Pierce joined LBC last time: He was quoted as describing himself as the first gay presenter on LBC or somesuch!!!!
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dates etc. are a bit murky. However checking the Wiki entries for both of them (and we know it can be manipulated).

Steve Allen: UBN closed in 1979 (following the lorry drivers' strike during the Winter of Discontent and he joined LBC as presenter of the Night Extra programme.

Clive Bull: A little more complicated.

He joined LBC as a telephone operator. He worked as a producer for Steve Allen's LBC show Nightline and later went on to review books for the same show. Later he presented a range of programmes including gardening phone-ins and the station's youth programme Young London. His big break was as host of the overnight Clive Bull Through the Night Show which ran for several years in the early 1990s. In 1994 he was hired by London News Talk 1152 (as LBC's AM service was briefly known) to host the weekend late-night slot.

Surely he started earlier than 1990s ? Or is the old memory playing tricks on me again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

More ghastly Tory presenters. Land's Biggest Conservative. >:(>:(>:(:cry:
This discussion has been closed.