F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Great GP2 racing this weekend at Bahrain, thanks Sky.
    Will doing a great job again along with Luca.
    Some interesting team radio too.
    Tyre degradation an issue, perhaps something for the race later.

Dad Palmer looked thrilled for his Son.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it possible to use Sky's Race Control thing on Android, does anyone know?
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is he wrong tho? He seems to make a lot of sense to me. The sport is changing things for the sake of change and it's lost it's way imho.

I'd disagree with that, as the engine changes are for the sake of keeping engine manufacturers interested in the sport and some of the bodywork changes like the nose are down to safety concerns.

That said, even change for the sake of change isn't necessarily a bad thing sometimes - when a formula stays static for a while, the amount of effort expended increases in relation to a decreasing gain, meaning teams spend a ridiculous amount of time and money developing something that has a tiny difference in performance. Then the idea ends up being copied by everyone anyway, so the only difference is it now costs a bit more to produce the car. Over time this all adds up, and makes the sport more expensive to compete in, yet the results produced by all this expenditure has no real world value and is invisible to the spectators/viewers.
    Forum Member
    Buddy2008 wrote: »
    Is it possible to use Sky's Race Control thing on Android, does anyone know?

No.
    It is only on the iPad via the sky sports app.
    And via Windows7/8/Vista/XP and Mac with Silverlight installed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    No.
    It is only on the iPad via the sky sports app.

Thanks.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Since the link isn't always easy to find on Sky's website:
    http://www1.skysports.com/f1/racecontrol
    Forum Member
    Some noisy picture breakup on the track parade, but at least we are getting quite a nice lot of the drivers today.
    Forum Member
    Been quite a bit of Break-up with some on the OnBoards this weekend as well.

Some of the OnBoards also have black spots flicking on them at times as well. Noticed that last weekend but it seems worse this weekend, Particularly on the Ferrari's.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the love of god Sky into an adbreak... "coming up", out of an adbreak, "coming up..."

All I can think of is the Mitchell and Webb "gift shop" sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc
  • patpendingpatpending Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, on scorpionstastic RTL, Kai Ebel dresses up as a sheikh(?) and The Scorpions say the new engines sound like their guitars!

I was just thinking that with Michael so ill, he's a bit like their Martin Brundle plus Damon Hill plus Ayrton Senna. RTL are on first-name terms with Michael but it's still only "Mr. Vettel", I think.

Then I saw RTL's key background commentator Niki Lauda...
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    For the love of god Sky into an adbreak... "coming up", out of an adbreak, "coming up..."

All I can think of is the Mitchell and Webb "gift shop" sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc

Does seem a bit excessive. If I piece together all the 'coming ups' of the go carting piece, Ill probably have it in full. :D
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stefmeister, I know you watch the on-boards a lot, so wonder what you think of this theory directed to me on Twitter:

- https://twitter.com/peterhayesf1/status/452541637550678016
    - https://twitter.com/peterhayesf1/status/452541828383145984
    Forum Member
    This year sky seem to be starting the pits channel on the website much earlier than they start it on the Red Button :cool:

D.M.N. wrote: »
    stefmeister, I know you watch the on-boards a lot, so wonder what you think of this theory directed to me on Twitter:

- https://twitter.com/peterhayesf1/status/452541637550678016
    - https://twitter.com/peterhayesf1/status/452541828383145984
    Makes sense.

When the drivers are totally off throttle the image is clear, Its only when throttle is applied that the black spots start to appear.
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can i just say, one day all F1 drivers will hopefully be as nice a person as JB, what a decent bloke he always seems to be.
  • patpendingpatpending Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    patpending wrote: »
    RTL are on first-name terms with Michael but it's still only "Mr. Vettel", I think.
    Yes, Kai Ebel addresses him effectively as "Mr. Sebastian"...

RTL only three live grid walk interviews today, Hülkenberg, Vettel and Rosberg... plus Montezemolo and the Crown Prince...

have F1 now insisted that the national anthem has to be broadcast live?
    Forum Member
    A few shots so far of Genesis Mike Rutherford. Is he our F1 podium celebrity interviewer this weekend then?
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    tasker wrote: »
    Can i just say, one day all F1 drivers will hopefully be as nice a person as JB, what a decent bloke he always seems to be.

I just posted on the F1 thread in the sport section that JB is a lovely guy.

Totally agree with your post. JB is simply the best. ;-)
    Forum Member
    No Onboard feeds showing up on Race control website :cry:

Main SSF1 program, Timing & PIt Lane only.
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somehow seems a bit pot kettle black isn't it when there is all this fuss about saving energy in F1.
    And they have night races that throw energy away at a stupid rate just to light up a track. :confused:
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,840
    Forum Member
    No Onboard feeds showing up on Race control website :cry:

Main SSF1 program, Timing & PIt Lane only.

starting the feeds late makes it difficult to sync them up on the sky+. thanks a bunch sky…. why is something so simple seemingly so difficult for them to manage properly?
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    starting the feeds late makes it difficult to sync them up on the sky+. thanks a bunch sky…. why is something so simple seemingly so difficult for them to manage properly?
    Because Sky's Race Control app is a joke :)
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    The fuel target, energy store stuff is probably far too much for average viewers, they just want a decent race...
    Forum Member
    The fuel target, energy store stuff is probably far too much for average viewers, they just want a decent race...

Its a struggle to take that graphic in quickly.
    Forum Member
    Sky race control on red button and iPad working perfect for me, but yes they left it to just before the start for the onboards.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    Far too may replays from the Bahrain production team.

Why are we not seeing the pit lane action? I notice on the live timing that cars are in the pits but we are not seeing it on screen.
This discussion has been closed.