The Returned (Les Revenants) heading to Channel 4 - spoilers in tags (Merged)

Comments

• NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Which I guess means that we probably won't get it until late 2015. Shame, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it is repeated before the new season as I will have forgotten so much about it before then. Mind you, it's a bit like Twin Peaks in that you think your are following what is going on then realise you didn't have a clue! :confused:
  • whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally caught up on this via Netflix - superb !!

Looking at the canal plus website there are a few interesting snippets of info about some of the characters.........

There is a love letter to Lucy from the policeman who watched over her in the hospital which contains the follwing..............

"There’s a lot of work to do in the town at the moment. The people are behaving strangely. Only yesterday, a woman asked me where Marcellin Chemists was. That shop hasn’t been around for more than twenty-five years. My grandparents used to own it.”

“My grandfather was always telling so many stories. He used to say that anything could happen in this town, because the inhabitants will believe anything. He told me about a fire that ravaged through part of the forest, and they never found out how it started. The flames caused the animals to throw themselves into the lake. Like suicide. After that, people used to say that the devil lived there and had ordered the beasts to go and die in the lake as a warning. People used to tell these nonsensical stories until they ended up believing that these events really happened, that a malevolent force really caused the animals to drown themselves. Isn’t that crazy? I feel like we’re going through another period like the one my grandfather described.”

“My grandfather said that the water running through the veins of this town sends people crazy.”

“In your presence, I feel things that I’d forgotten since I was a child. You’re going to think this is weird Lucy, but it’s as if you’ve opened a chamber into a period of my life where everything was simpler, gentler. Images, smells, sounds have all resurfaced and reassure me, whisper to me, that everything’s going to be okay […] When I was touching you, I was intoxicated by the contact, I felt as if I could feel the presence of my grandfather, as if simply touching you had made him appear in the room with us.”

“I heard his voice resonate inside my head and repeat, in the same voice that used to reassure me and terrify me at the same time, “Alcide, it doesn’t matter what you do, here there is no God or Church where you can be pardoned, if you feel the insidious tongue of sin licking your neck, the lake awaits you, it will be the chrysalis that will turn you from a caterpillar into a butterfly.

This is from Serge's diary...........

"“After [going hunting], I took Toni to the lake. I wanted him to taste the water, too. I told him ‘taste it Toni, you’ll see’. He drank but he said he didn’t see anything. It wasn’t the same for him as it is for me.”

“Mum said it was time to talk to Him. I was wearing my hood up and mum was angry. She asked if I wanted to keep secrets from Him. I said no. She said that I had to uncover my face to speak to Him. […] I thought it was great that He can’t see me when I wear my hood up. I thought I’d found a way to hide my bad thoughts from Him. If He can’t see me, then I can’t burn in hell.”

“I went to the swimming pool where the girls Toni goes to school with go swimming. I put up my hood so He didn’t see me. I found a window I could look through. The girls didn’t see me. I saw them get undressed and put on their swimming costumes. Mum doesn’t want me to talk to them. Mum says I don’t behave well around girls. Mum says I scare them. She says that if He sees how I look at girls, I’ll be punished. I like looking at them. It’s not my fault. But the window isn’t in the right place. It’s at exactly the height of the girls’ stomachs. I can’t see their face. I can’t see their legs. I only see their stomachs. It’s like that every time, just stomachs. I like looking at them. But it makes me think lots of bad thoughts.”

“I dropped a deer into the lake water. I didn’t mean to. It was on my shoulders and I bent over to drink and it fell in. It wasn’t my fault. It moved. Its feet moved. I was sure I’d killed it but it moved in the water. I took it out of the water. I took my knife. I killed it again. I opened up its stomach. I wanted to be sure it was dead. I saw everything that came out. I saw how warm it was. I put some water on it. I don’t know why, it just occurred to me, like a bad thought. I was hungry. I went home.”

“[Watching a black and white film with his mother while Toni was asleep] I didn’t understand all of the story but there were two guys after a woman I found very beautiful. I didn’t hear any of the film whenever she was there. I can see all of her. I can see her hair. Her mouth. Her eyes. Her legs. But I only see her stomach. I didn’t have any choice. It’s not my fault. I see her stomach. And she’s dancing. And she lifts up a black glove and it takes ages for her to take it off her arm. She slides the glove off and I see her stomach. And I want to talk to this woman but mum doesn’t want me to. I want to take her to the lake and touch her stomach under the water. But Mum will shout “You’re going to burn in hell, Serge”. So I watch the film and I look at her stomach and I don’t know what I’m thinking anymore because everything stops in my head and I’m hot and then I can feel a pain between my legs and I open my eyes and I see mum’s clenched hand on my trousers where my bad thoughts come from. And mum is furious. She says ‘See Serge, you don’t respect women. You don’t know how to behave. You have bad thoughts in your head. You’re going to tell Him everything. He’s going to wash out your head. And if He asks me to, I’ll wash you in the lake, like when you were little and I had to wash away your sins.”

Notes from Julies psychiatrist after her attack in 2005.

"“She was found in a critical state, but made a ‘miraculous’ recovery from her injuries”. Julie “has to understand why she was saved”. “She refuses to accept the simple luck in what she refers to as, with no small amount of cynicism, “her half-assed encounter with death”. I suggested that she meet with a Rabbi with whom I’d previously had a stimulating conversation about the non-definitive character of death in Judaism. The patient was extremely reluctant to follow my suggestion. She sees nothing religious about her “resurrection”.”

“Julie has no precise memory of the attack. She told me that she relives a fantasy version in her dreams in which she mentions the presence of “a little boy without a face”. But this vision is probably due to the medical consequences of the attack that prevent Julie from having children in future.”

and from a 1977 newspaper about the dam breaking

"“Back from the dead. That’s what the survivors of the catastrophe look like 72 hours after the dam burst. Ghosts, drawn features, empty stares, wandering amongst the ruins of what, not that long ago, was their village. Their faces all bear the same expression. Stupefaction, horror, incredulity.”

“They walk hesitatingly, unsteady on their feet. With every step, their boots are stuck in the mud and they have to use their last ounce of strength to stumble over the debris strewn on the ground, making some places completely inaccessible.”

“God has abandoned us” weeps one woman we met. “He’s watching from above while his children beg for mercy”. We were told that a church service was taking place when the 70-metre wave came crashing down. None of the worshippers there survived. The house of God did not offer them any protection”

“The demon tongue came to carry them all away”.

“A man was seen near the dam just before the catastrophe. He fled. “It was the watchman, says Mayor Costa. He had heard the first crack and wanted to warn the village. Unfortunately, it was too late.”

“People here like to interpret what they see,” explains Mayor Costa. “I could present them with the proof [of what caused it] on a platter but it wouldn’t change a thing. Ghosts are alive and well in the area.”

“A group of individuals has not been accounted for. They were near the lake when it happened, “As if they were on a pilgrimage”, we’re told. There is no trace of them. The water carried everything away. Trees, cars, buildings, cattle, even a few kilometres of the railway track was torn up. We asked about the group of people who have disappeared. “Weirdos” says an old lady “They’d started following a man who promised them a better life.” A shepherd whose herd was completely decimated puts it more aggressively, “They brought this disaster to the village! They were always talking about purifying the land, that a flood would come to wash away its inhabitants’ sins! If you ask me, they prayed for this catastrophe to happen to us. So what if they didn’t survive? Good riddance.”

“On the half-submerged carcass of a car, we saw a butterfly. It spreads its bright wings, in contrast to the faint colours of the desolation around it. It flaps them. Then it takes off. It came to remind us that life will return here. But not right away.”

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Dave
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

Oh no! That sucks :(
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merde.....
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    whiteswan wrote: »
    Finally caught up on this via Netflix - superb !!

Looking at the canal plus website there are a few interesting snippets of info about some of the characters.........

There is a love letter to Lucy from the policeman who watched over her in the hospital which contains the following..............

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Dave

He also the only member of the Gendarmerie who is still definitely alive.

At the end of the last episode there were no bodies left in the aftermath of the shoot which leaves a few options

A) They've all become revenants
    B) They all escaped (unlikely)
    C) A mix of A and B
  • peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was this released on blu ray in America and we have to put up with a dvd?
  • whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why was this released on blu ray in America and we have to put up with a dvd?

Alternatively on NETFLIX its Blu Ray quality - I think they call it SUPER HD - I am not that technically minded but pic was superb and 5.1

Dave
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mogwai played live a new track for season 2 called Vampire Du Matin.

And I think is floating around the internet somewhere.

But sadly it look like it will be 2015 before we see anything plus the french government,has put taxes up on performance arts and making Actors a Actress pay more for there work.

And that's why Gerard Dupardiu and others left to find work else were.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    Mogwai played live a new track for season 2 called Vampire Du Matin.

And I think is floating around the internet somewhere.
    I'll give that a miss, great programme but the "music" was murder....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus there is not to many people in France right now who are happy with there Government and can't trust the people in charge of there country.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus there is not to many people in France right now who are happy with there Government and can't trust the people in charge of there country.

Much like the citizens of every country in the world then with the possible exception of North Korea. Also, it's only very high earning stars who would be taxed under the proposal so hardly likely to apply to anyone involved with les revenants!
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But sadly it look like it will be 2015 before we see anything plus the french government,has put taxes up on performance arts and making Actors a Actress pay more for there work.

And that's why Gerard Dupardiu and others left to find work else were.
    No, they didn't move to find work elsewhere... they moved to become tax-resident elsewhere because taxes generally were increasing and the wealth tax makes France unattractive for the seriously rich. Taxation in France makes it unattractive for most people in fact but that's a different discussion. It won't stop actors working in France - any thought of that is absurd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fabrice Goberts said in a recent french Tv SyFI magazine said,that the next one could be the last one and said he want to do a spin off of,Light out his original work of,Simon Du Werner.He said that The Returned was hard but amazing to do and the actors and actress are perfect and the music fits well.And shooting in the alps is very perfect for the setting,he claim that he did not think the show would be as big as it was and next one could be the full stop.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's hard to see how it could stretch into a third season and still retain its impact but we'll just have to see how the story unfolds. I hope the people behind it resist the temptation to milk it for all its worth as frequently happens with successful American series.
  • futumtchfutumtch Posts: 2,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A&E's 'The Returned' Adaptation Ordered Straight to Series

The cable network has picked up its take on the French zombie drama straight to series with a 10-episode pickup, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/a-es-returned-adaptation-ordered-699658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my friends was on holiday in Annecy recently and seen the Canal + film crew were there shooting the program setting up Camara and set and lighting,and one of the Actress of the show Clotilde Hesme was having Breakfeast at a cafe in the small center. there was a lot of pictures in a local book shop with the show for visitors to look at and there,Some pictures of the Actors and Actress hanging out with the locals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ending of season 1 revealed.

http://series-tv.premiere.fr/News-Series/Les-Revenants-le-synopsis-de-la-saison-2-4043827

And season 2 in the works.

English.

We know a little more about season 2 of Revenants . Canal + has released the synopsis of Season 2 of the series of Fabrice Gobert ."A few weeks after the flood, the city now controlled by the authorities, life resumes. The survivors of the Samaritans are the only ones who know the existence of Ghosts. Some are desperate to find them. "Composed of eight episodes this season 2 will wait for several months since no release date has been set for the moment. The fans are starting to be used
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope we find out what happened to Thomas and the rest of the Gendarmes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Filming has started on Season 2

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s224/the-returned/news/a600420/the-returned-series-2-begins-filming-ahead-of-late-2015-debut-in-france.html#~oRtRECfIDXP5Ar

This is the interesting bit
    Worse still, a new wave of resurrections could be about to occur.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the news must go global with the next stage you suggest, Verence, how can it be contained any longer? :o
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually a bit disppointed as this only confirms my fears that the show will be mystery piled on mystery without any resolution/explanation.
    Much as I enjoyed the majority of the first series I don't think I can suffer another show with no attempt at plot elaboration.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we actually have a likely air date for the UK.

Given that filming is underway until March, is Summer possible.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    Do we actually have a likely air date for the UK.

Given that filming is underway until March, is Summer possible.

Does anyone care any more? :p

It'll be well over 2 years since the 1st series by the time this gets broadcast over here. It was originally shown on French TV in November 2012 and took over 6 months to get to the UK.
    There isn't much hope of the second series getting aired here before Winter 2015 I'd say.