Options

Windows 8 on a Netbook Questions

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, I've ordered a Netbook from Argos which is a 1ghz dual core cpu with 2GB ram - I'll be upgrading the ram to 4GB when it arrives.

Will Windows 8 run just as well as Windows 7 ran on my old netbook with similar specs?

I also heard you can upgrade to Windows 8.1 - is that free via automatic updates?

Finally, my netbook won't have touchscreen, so I think I'd prefer a desktop view, are you able to set it up so that everytime you boot up, it goes to a desktop view just like Windows 7?

I'm guessing there's no advantages then over Win 7 for me?!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which netbook was it?

1. Yes, Windows 8 will run as well as Windows 7
    2. Yes, Windows 8.1 is a free update
    3. Yes, you can set desktop as default in Windows 8.1
    4. IMO Windows 8 offers no advantages when their isn't a touchscreen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Which netbook was it?

1. Yes, Windows 8 will run as well as Windows 7
    2. Yes, Windows 8.1 is a free update
    3. Yes, you can set desktop as default in Windows 8.1
    4. IMO Windows 8 offers no advantages when their isn't a touchscreen

This one -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331158407667?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah you shouldn't have any problems.

Hm, the L2 Cache is 0.5 on my new one, but it was 1.0 on my old one which is 2 years older? Will this make much difference?
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    I also heard you can upgrade to Windows 8.1 - is that free via automatic updates?

I think if you have Windows 8 then you have to manually install Windows 8.1 (correct me if I'm wrong)? But it is free.

If Windows 8.1 is already on the system then it will auto-update to Windows 8.1 Update.
    I'm guessing there's no advantages then over Win 7 for me?!

Well, it's "better" in some sense but a lot of this is under the hood. Faster boot and so on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hm, the L2 Cache is 0.5 on my new one, but it was 1.0 on my old one which is 2 years older? Will this make much difference?

Where are you reading that?

The laptop you linked has an AMD C70 which has 1MB L2 cache.

Also I wouldn't pay much attention to stuff like that as on it's own it doesn't really mean much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are you reading that?

The laptop you linked has an AMD C70 which has 1MB L2 cache.

Also I wouldn't pay much attention to stuff like that as on it's own it doesn't really mean much.

Ah ok thanks. Do you think there's any point adding 8GB RAM to it? Will the processor even be able to use that much?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if you have Windows 8 then you have to manually install Windows 8.1 (correct me if I'm wrong)? But it is free.

That's true but on a new PC that's not really an issue.

You can find a full guide from MS here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah ok thanks. Do you think there's any point adding 8GB RAM to it? Will the processor even be able to use that much?

it only has 1 memory slot of DDR3 which supports upto 4GB AFAIK.

I would suggest you try it with 2GB and if you notice memory getting full in task manager then upgrade to 4GB, otherwise I would just leave it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it only has 1 memory slot of DDR3 which supports upto 4GB AFAIK.

I would suggest you try it with 2GB and if you notice memory getting full in task manager then upgrade to 4GB, otherwise I would just leave it.

My old netbook which I'm getting rid of has 4GB so I'm just going to swap them over. I bought the 4GB ram a few years ago when I bought my first netbook.

The new Acer has slightly better specs, but will this give me any increased performance? i.e. the cpu is newer, and the graphics is a 8210HD as apposed to the 6250HD.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true but on a new PC that's not really an issue.

It wasn't quite clear from the OP whether the new Netbook was coming with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. I assumed the former because they then asked about a free upgrade to 8.1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new Acer has slightly better specs, but will this give me any increased performance? i.e. the cpu is newer, and the graphics is a 8210HD as apposed to the 6250HD.

I depends on many things, I would really need to know the model of the other machine to answer that.

Also the Acer you posted is a Acer V5-121 which has a AMD Radeon HD 6290.

On paper the 8210 is fairly faster, but it's not as if you are using it as a gaming machine though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't quite clear from the OP whether the new Netbook was coming with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. I assumed the former because they then asked about a free upgrade to 8.1.

Yes it comes with Windows 8 but putting 8.1 on it should be rather simple following the guide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know it's a V5-121? On the Argos website, it's listed as a 123?
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

From the link you posted:
    Graphics:
    Shared graphics card.
    6290 graphics card.
    AMD Radeon HD.

As far as I can see, it doesn't say anywhere that it's a 123...

From the Argos website, under the description of the V5-123:
    Graphics:

AMD Radeon HD8210 graphics card.

So, the eBay Acer ain't a 123...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I googled the spec and it up as V5-121

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/1302325/acer-v5-121

So that's my best guess.

Here is a much better machine on dabs for £193 http://www.dabs.com/products/acer-aspire-e1-14--hd-intel--celeron-dual-core--4gb-500gb--hdmi-win8-91WD.html?awc=3044_1397591098_ace8a2b6865798eb70ec546b27ca1f32&referrerid=AW&utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=AW00
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not in stock. I ordered the Acer now anyway and I really like the 11.6 ones. Have done me well apart from the hinge that went on the back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would there be a further performance boost if I put in an SSD hard drive?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not in stock. I ordered the Acer now anyway and I really like the 11.6 ones. Have done me well apart from the hinge that went on the back.

Typical, there were like 6 when I posted lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would there be a further performance boost if I put in an SSD hard drive?

Yes, I put an SSD in a 6 year old laptop and it made it much faster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I put an SSD in a 6 year old laptop and it made it much faster.

Hmm, wonder how it would effect a netbook. 120GB for £45 isn't great though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely put in 4GB of ram. The last thing you want is windows trying to reduce its ram footprint.

Also £45 for a 120gb SSD is the lowest it's ever been! I paid £145 for a 256GB SSD only a few months ago and wish I had waited a bit.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, wonder how it would effect a netbook. 120GB for £45 isn't great though.

When most people use an SSD, they put the operating system and programs on the SSD for speed, and use a second hard drive for bulk storage.

Most laptops only come with ability to fit 1 hard disk (SSD or HDD), However, if laptop has a dvd/cd drive, you can remove this, and install a 2nd hard drive using a special caddy.

In your case, you do not have an optical drive, so installing only a 120 GB SSD drive is not really a good idea, unless you want to seriously rely on an external hard drive for bulk storage.

A better solution may be to install a hybrid drive (an HDD with a large SSD memory cache). The performance of these ranges from an SSD to an HDD depending on what you are doing. I have one and my pc start up very quickly.