Options

BT Sports Channel (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Jonny_Bentley1Jonny_Bentley1 Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And just as I say this is states on his twitter page that he is presenting alongside Graham Swann with guests being Michael Owen and Gareth Thomas. Although on the theme of those perhaps not returning, reading between the lines I see Matt Dawson leaving the show to focus on the rugby with BT and Swann looks like being a permanent co-host. BT have signed him up on a deal and currently are showing no cricket; he is expected to represent BT in various different forms and it's looking like helping to anchor BTSP could be one of them.
  • Options
    Mr NewshoundMr Newshound Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this. I thought he was a good host and I've also noticed Matt Dawson's disappearance (although he may be busy with rugby on BT). Helen is quite good at hosting the show although I did prefer Lovejoy.
    Matt Dawson also recently had a child so may just want to be spending more time at home.
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that BT Sports Hub (on air now) is using Product Placement - probably the Panasonic TV that they use? Not sure if it's a regular occurrence on BT Sport's programmes?
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Relevant for the BT thread I think (Stolen from the main european rugby thread)

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-breaking-news/15724/european-rugby-broadcast-statement/

@Sonjamclaughlan: 70 European Rugby Champions Cup matches to be shown live each season, 35 by each broadcaster #rugby #sky #btsport

@Sonjamclaughlan: Top 6 from Top 14, top 6 from Aviva Premiership, top 7 from Pro 12 with 20th place decided by a play-off

@Sonjamclaughlan: BTSport win right to show English clubs in europe #rugby

Final on both BT and SKY Sports
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointed BT Sport aren`t showing the Juve/Lyon game.
  • Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Disappointed BT Sport aren`t showing the Juve/Lyon game.
    Isn't it on ITV?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    SEV v POR is on ITV4.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is not on, bit of a bummer that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched BT Sport for a while now, and hadn't noticed that the DOG has moved to the top corner. Looks a bit strange, since I had got used to having it in the lower corner.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    sigmundv wrote: »
    I haven't watched BT Sport for a while now, and hadn't noticed that the DOG has moved to the top corner. Looks a bit strange, since I had got used to having it in the lower corner.

They have to move it for UEFA content as UEFA only allows graphics of their own on the bottom of the screen, including own-broadcaster logo's, so BT has to move it to where it should be to comply with the contract.
    I wish they'd move it to the top permanently and make it transparent, but wish in one hand, **** into the other, see which fills first.....
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It only does for the Europa League to get it out of the way of the official Europa League graphics.

EDIT: What he said.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware of the UEFA requirement. Regardless of which corner they put it in they should make it transparent, but there isn't much chance of them doing that when they haven't done it already.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware of the UEFA requirement. Regardless of which corner they put it in they should make it transparent, but there isn't much chance of them doing that when they haven't done it already.

They've been asked multiple times but seem to be very stubborn about it for some silly reason. Its no wonder they are the worst for CS...
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    It is not on, bit of a bummer that.

It was on the ITV website, they have the first 2 picks so put 1 on ITV4 and the other on the website.
  • Options
    RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it unclear a while back what the length of the Ligue 1 and Serie A rights were? I seem to recall all that was discoverable regards Serie A was a "multiyear" or "multiple year" deal. Anyhow according to this response on the BT Community Forum BT "have the Ligue 1 rights up to & including season 2017/18. We also have the Serie A rights up to & including season 2017/18."

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport/Ligue-1-rights-after-this-season/td-p/1230079

In February the Bundesliga was extended up to and including 2016/17. CL/EL is for 2015-18.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RobSmithS wrote: »
    Was it unclear a while back what the length of the Ligue 1 and Serie A rights were? I seem to recall all that was discoverable regards Serie A was a "multiyear" or "multiple year" deal. Anyhow according to this response on the BT Community Forum BT "have the Ligue 1 rights up to & including season 2017/18. We also have the Serie A rights up to & including season 2017/18."

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport/Ligue-1-rights-after-this-season/td-p/1230079

In February the Bundesliga was extended up to and including 2016/17. CL/EL is for 2015-18.

We may not have know for certain, but I think we had guessed that both Serie A and Ligue 1 were until 2018.

BT inherited both those rights from ESPN, who were in the first year of three year deals (i.e. to end of 14/15 season). It would have been odd if the new deals weren't also for three years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    We may not have know for certain, but I think we had guessed that both Serie A and Ligue 1 were until 2018.

BT inherited both those rights from ESPN, who were in the first year of three year deals (i.e. to end of 14/15 season). It would have been odd if the new deals weren't also for three years.

Sorry but that doesn't seem to match up to what I recall. I thought that previously it had been outlined that they were new deals in line with BT channel launch (which mentioned rights to all 380 games from those divisions (Serie A/Ligue 1) causing some misplaced anticipation that all games would be made available to view) and they were not inherited from ESPN at all. A quick google search brings forth this article typical from around the announcement (note the date Oct 2012 and that this was before the ESPN buyout/takeover by BT):

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2012/10/29/bt-sign-live-rights-deals-for-serie-a-ligue-1-brazil-and-mls-raising-doubts-over-espn-future-291001/

I also don't remember anyone posting that end of 2018 was clearly the length of the deals! I thought that only the Bundesliga had an inherited from ESPN slant?
  • Options
    wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole thing regarding "380 games" is that they have the rights to all 380 games - doesn't mean they intend to show all of those games...even I with my frankly unhealthy interest in the game would struggle to muster the interest in Sassulo-Livorno or Guingamp-Evian! With due respect to those protagonists!
  • Options
    Jonny_Bentley1Jonny_Bentley1 Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT Sport 1
    w/e 6 Apr 2014
    000's
    1 BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE (SAT 1200) 493
    2 SCOTTISH PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE (FRI 1900) 49
    3 SERIE A (SUN 1127) 39
    4 BUNDESLIGA (SAT 1700) 38
    5 RUGBY TONIGHT (WED 2001) 33
    6 BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE PREVIEW (FRI 2331) 26
    7 SERIE A (SUN 1944) 21
    8 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE (THU 2001) 21
    9 1-WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP (SAT 2201) 20
    10 BUNDESLIGA (SUN 1614) 20

BT Sport 2
    w/e 6 Apr 2014
    000's
    1 WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP (THU 2233) 21
    2 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE (THU 2000) 14
    3 HYUNDAI A-LEAGUE (SAT 0945) 14
    4 WORLD WIDE SPORTS (THU 2334) 14
    5 FRENCH LIGUE 1 (SUN 1954) 13
    6 WTA - FAMILY CIRCLE CUP CHARLESTON (THU 1836) 11
    7 AVIVA PREMIERSHIP RUGBY HIGHLIGHTS (MON 2033) 11
    8 1-UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE HIGHLIGHTS (THU 2631) 11
    9 FRENCH LIGUE 1 (SUN 0929) 11
    10 BOXING 24/7 (THU 2204) 8

ESPN
    w/e 6 Apr 2014
    000's
    1 BUNDESLIGA (FRI 1927) 12
    2 NBA (SUN 1759) 11
    3 MLB 162 (SUN 1304) 9
    4 BASEBALL TONIGHT (SUN 1332) 8
    5 BASEBALL TONIGHT (TUE 2301) 7
    6 NBA (FRI 1233) 7
    7 NBA COUNTDOWN (SUN 1730) 6
    8 NBA (SUN 2041) 5
    9 V8 SUPERCARS (SUN 0620) 3
    10 BTSP03-VERIZON INDYCAR SERIES (THU 1232) 3
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    BT have lost their first rights. It's not clear whether they bid, after all they were initially picked up from their ESPN purchase.

Sky Sports have signed the rights to the Top 14, France's premier rugby competition

Key points: Two Live Games from Top 14 each week next season, total of 360 live Rugby Union games across all competitions. 5 year deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good spot!

As for the history of Top 14 rights fairly sure they weren't to do with the ESPN purchase by BT as Top 14 was on Premier Sports for one year prior to this season (and that was subcontracted via BT Sport as BT bought the Top 14 rights before their own channels became operational buying them around August 2012).

As above with Serie A and Ligue 1 some BT rights seem to be getting ascribed on here as "inherited from ESPN" (lately) when it has been previously indicated that they were in fact completely new deals. Again fairly sure the correct info is that Serie A, Ligue 1 and Top 14 don't come wrapped with "ESPN legacy" around them but were new deals put in place by BT themselves ready for channel launch but happy if someone has somehow got the definitive evidence to prove otherwise!

Charles Sale, Daily Mail, 29th August 2012
    BT go French
    BT Vision, who need to build a sports channel quickly around their Premier League portfolio next season, have bought French club rugby’s Top 14 competition — even though they cannot screen it for a year.

(about 4th paragraph here)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2195513/Carlos-Tevez-told-shirt-Premier-League-Charles-Sale.html

If above is correct that would mean that Top 14 was on ESPN 2011-12, Premier Sports 2012-13 and BT 2013-14? Possibly someone will know but didn't it go without coverage in the UK for at least one season before 2011-12? Seem to remember it might have gone missing for a season!
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    They've been asked multiple times but seem to be very stubborn about it for some silly reason. Its no wonder they are the worst for CS...

Actually they're not. That'll be EE followed by Talk Talk.;-)
  • Options
    ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mromega wrote: »
    BT have lost their first rights. It's not clear whether they bid, after all they were initially picked up from their ESPN purchase.

Sky Sports have signed the rights to the Top 14, France's premier rugby competition

Key points: Two Live Games from Top 14 each week next season, total of 360 live Rugby Union games across all competitions. 5 year deal.

maybe bt sport has won spanish la liga new tv rights and that is why sky went for the top 14!
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mromega wrote: »

They didn't pick the rights up from ESPN. Premier Sports had them last season.
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really good to see mainly positive reviews for a new broadcaster in such a short space of time. I was expecting quite a few negative one's to be honest
    Then I shall oblige.

I think it's been pretty awful I'm afraid. The on-screen graphics are pointlessly intrusive. At no point have I listened to any of the pundits and come away thinking I've learned something, unlike with Carragher and Neville or even some of ITV's team. Jake Humphrey encourages the kind of matey, joshy sub-BBC coverage that I cannot abide. The build up to games is air filled with no substance whatsoever. The giant pitch in the studio has proven to be a preposterous white elephant. Even Baker and Kelly, whom I adore, have not hit the heights and it's noticeable they've fallen back on the tried & tested interview with an ex-footballer. Helen Skelton has been hopelessly out of her depth presenting the Sports Panel.

The only thing I can give them credit for is Darren Fletcher, who has settled into TV commentary nicely. I am dreading BT starting Champions League coverage on what I have seen so far. Still, others seem happy and it looks like I'm stuck with it.