Options

For those who's Mum has passed away

mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I lost my lovely mum five years ago now and although I think about and miss her every day of my life, Mother's day is so very hard. I just wish she was with me still.
If I am out and about in town and see other women with their mums having lunch, I just think I would love to be able to do that but know I cant.
I always made a big fuss of my Mum, she adored flowers so I always bought her a beautiful hostess bouquet along with something that she could keep like earrings, perfume etc.
I smile though when I see the children at the shops coming out with their dads carrying flowers, chocolates etc, they look so happy.
I just hope that those that are lucky enough to still have their mum, treasure her, the pain when she goes is awful.
I thought It would be ok for those missing their mums this weekend to come and discuss with others.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    :(

That's sweet, and sad.
  • Options
    Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean (((hug))). I still miss my mum (20 years gone now).

The loveliest cards I got from my kids were the ones they made in primary school and I still have them :)
  • Options
    caroilcaroil Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I lost my lovely mum five years ago now and although I think about and miss her every day of my life, Mother's day is so very hard. I just wish she was with me still.
    If I am out and about in town and see other women with their mums having lunch, I just think I would love to be able to do that but know I cant.
    I always made a big fuss of my Mum, she adored flowers so I always bought her a beautiful hostess bouquet along with something that she could keep like earrings, perfume etc.
    I smile though when I see the children at the shops coming out with their dads carrying flowers, chocolates etc, they look so happy.
    I just hope that those that are lucky enough to still have their mum, treasure her, the pain when she goes is awful.
    I thought It would be ok for those missing their mums this weekend to come and discuss with others.
    Thanks

I agree with all you say, I have missed my mum every day since I lost her 5 years ago. I now buy her mothers day flowers and put them in pride of place in the lounge and enjoy them as I am sure she would want me to.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum died when I was a kid, well over 30 years ago and ever since, every single day, not a handful of hours goes by that I don't think of her, or miss her. When I was at school, I hated it when the teachers would get my class to make mother's day cards - it was just grisly, sitting there with no-one to make one for and no-one giving a flying fig that there was one child in the room who couldn't do it. So it brings back vile memories for me. I'm always glad when it's over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    My mum died when I was a kid, well over 30 years ago and ever since, every single day, not a handful of hours goes by that I don't think of her, or miss her. When I was at school, I hated it when the teachers would get my class to make mother's day cards - it was just grisly, sitting there with no-one to make one for and no-one giving a flying fig that there was one child in the room who couldn't do it. So it brings back vile memories for me. I'm always glad when it's over.

Oh, Hog, how sad:cry:. I think that must have been so awful for you. I think these days, the teachers would be more thoughtful and considerate to those children who's mum has passed away. How on earth you coped at such a young age, I'll never know. I count myself so very lucky that I had not only my mum but my dad too for so many years. They both lived till their 80's. One of my cousins lost her mum, my auntie when she was a young teenager. I think like you, that's harder.
    it must be hard for you to even talk about those times too.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you SO much for posting that. My mum passed away 4 years ago yesterday and I miss her so much.

I never respected her much when she was here but God do I wish I had.

The only thing that gets me through is knowing that she isn't suffering anymore and she is looking down on me making sure I am safe.

I can still hear her now when I am arguing with my other half over something stupid saying 'Your a silly girl to yourself'

Thank you ever so much again for posting that. It helps to know that I'm not alone in feeling like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladyinblue wrote: »
    Thank you SO much for posting that. My mum passed away 4 years ago yesterday and I miss her so much.

I never respected her much when she was here but God do I wish I had.

The only thing that gets me through is knowing that she isn't suffering anymore and she is looking down on me making sure I am safe.

I can still hear her now when I am arguing with my other half over something stupid saying 'Your a silly girl to yourself'

Thank you ever so much again for posting that. It helps to know that I'm not alone in feeling like this.

Your never alone on here, it's lovely to be able to talk to someone isin't it. So thank you for saying you appreciate the thread, that's so kind. xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad died in his 80s, and must admit Father's Day isn't quite so fraught as Mother's Day - dunno why as I was closer to him than my mum, if anything and had him a lot longer!

I think it may be that Mother's Day brings back more memories, is all. I can remember when she was alive and one year - I would have been 7 or 8 - I didn't have any money to buy her anything and she said "Oh don't worry about that - I'd treasure some flowers you picked yourself or a card you made yourself far more than something bought, anyway." (She was a mad keen flower arranger and in summer we'd have a garden full of flowers). This time of year all there was were the wildflowers, and I remember going back in the house with a bunch of celandines. She loved them (or said she did!)
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum passed away 2 and a half years ago. She was only 60.

I bought a couple of notebooks & started writing down my memories of her. I miss her every day :cry:

I'm not ashamed to say i was a bit of a mummy's boy :o

Thanks for the thread. Mother's Day really hurts so it's nice to know i'm not alone :(
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really feel for you all. I'd never considered all those who had lost their parents on mothers day/fathers day before.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    My mum died at the end of January. This will be my first Mothers Day without her :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your never alone on here, it's lovely to be able to talk to someone isin't it. So thank you for saying you appreciate the thread, that's so kind. xx

No-one understands how much it hurts to lose a parent until they have.

No-one can replace the love of a mother but so many people take it for granted - me included.

I never thought I would hear myself say it but I would give anything to have one last hug from my mum or even just one more argument.

My partner is 30 and his mum lives miles away I am forever telling him to phone her once in a while just to speak to her because he will miss it so much when she's gone and he can't just pick up the phone just to hear her voice.

I was 21 when my mum passed away. She was 53.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    My mum died at the end of January. This will be my first Mothers Day without her :cry:

So sorry Electra. Just remember if you need a chat remember this thread. As the OP has so rightly said your never alone on here. xx.
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Oh, Hog, how sad:cry:. I think that must have been so awful for you. I think these days, the teachers would be more thoughtful and considerate to those children who's mum has passed away. How on earth you coped at such a young age, I'll never know. I count myself so very lucky that I had not only my mum but my dad too for so many years. They both lived till their 80's. One of my cousins lost her mum, my auntie when she was a young teenager. I think like you, that's harder.
    it must be hard for you to even talk about those times too.:(

That must have been really tough at such a young age Hogzilla and can understand how their probably would have been less consideration from the teachers back then about asking kids to make a mother's day card when their were children in the class without mothers.

I've always turned making mother's day cards with my class into a bit of discussion beforehand so to demonstrate sensitivity and empathy towards those that might no longer have their mother (for various reasons.) Those that don't are indirectly encouraged to make a card for the person that cares for them or for someone who is significant in their lives - doesn't matter if this person is male. I think approaching it like this helps their situation and makes the activity more accessible. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B3CJSj483g

A very old song that is very appropriate for this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

Electra, you will get by, it's hard and upsetting but think of all the lovely memories you and your mum shared. No one can take them away from you. As it was only recently when she passed away, I imagine you are still numb and trying to come to terms with her loss. That will take time and days like sunday won't help.
    The first one without my mum was the worst but my children wanted to make my day perfect so I tried harder for them and that helped me an awful lot.
    (x)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CloneClown wrote: »
    That must have been really tough at such a young age Hogzilla and can understand how their probably would have been less consideration from the teachers back then about asking kids to make a mother's day card when their were children in the class without mothers.

I've always turned making mother's day cards with my class into a bit of discussion beforehand so to demonstrate sensitivity and empathy towards those that might no longer have their mother (for various reasons.) Those that don't are indirectly encouraged to make a card for the person that cares for them or for someone who is significant in their lives - doesn't matter if this person is male. I think approaching it like this helps their situation and makes the activity more accessible. :)

Gawd, you sound like a lovely teacher. Lucky kids.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nan (mum's mum) died in the early 90s when I was knee high, every year my mum still buys her flowers for mother's day and leaves them on her grave. It's quite touching really she's been gone for 18 years but mum still does it </3
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Birdcage wrote: »
    Gawd, you sound like a lovely teacher. Lucky kids.

Ah thanks but I'm not really - I'm mean the rest of the time. :p
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for creating this thread OP - I also lost my lovely mum 5 years ago and I still think about her every day. :cry:

So sorry to hear about your situation Hogzilla - that must have felt truly awful. :(

I'd like to endorse the sentiments expressed on here about treasuring your mum when she's here with you. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    My mum died nearly 14 years ago. I wish she could be here now to see her grandchildren as she would have been so proud of them. I also wish I could say thank you to her for the amazing job she did of being a mum and for the qualities I've inherited from her. I miss her every single day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, Clone - years later I was a primary schoolteacher and would never have done a Mother's Day card session if I had a single motherless child. (Although I did in my first ever class have a little girl whose mum was in a mental hospital for stabbing dad in the neck - in front of the child - so that year I gave it a skip). I never did Father's Day when I worked in largely white working class areas as so few of the kids even had a dad at home or knew who he was.:D Most of the 'signifcant' males in their homes tended to be on the sex offenders' register.:eek: One class I had one child with a dad still at home.:D

TBH I don't really excuse what my teachers did as with or without modern PC sensibilities, to me it would be common sense to give it a miss if I had a single child it would upset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah thanks but I'm not really - I'm mean the rest of the time. :p

Won't go into my experiences but don't ever underestimate the good you can do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, thanks for starting this thread. My Aunt died at the end of January, so this will be the first Mother's Day that her children will face without her. I must remember to contact them and let them know I'm thinking of them. :)
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost my mum in 2006 (my dad in 1993) and my wife lost HER mum yesterday morning at 4.30.
    Sunday is going to be very hard for her, I try to change the TV channel if anything "mother-related" comes on, but when you walk around and the shops are ful of Mothers' Day stuff, It's a bit difficult.