huge mouth ulcer. pain relief advice please

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,173
Forum Member
last wednesday i burnt the roof of my mouth. this developed into an ulcer, which i expected. however, thursday i had to start a course of antibiotics for an ear infection, which include the side effects "may stop skin cell growing as they should" or something similar. in effect, it's not healing

i mean it when i say it's huge. it stretches across the top of two of my back teeth. now i'm prone to ulcers. been getting them whenever i've been run-down or stressed since i was 14, and with an ear infection it was kinda a no-brainer that i'd get one (the dentist has run numerous tests, and it's nothing serious. he came to conclusion that it's just what happens to me). but i'm struggling to eat because it's so painful, and i was wondering if anyone had any advice? i've got prescription mouthwash, bonjela mint stuff (hate the original), sore mouth gel from boots and the bonjela stuff called complete plus. i'm also taking painkillers anyways for my ear. has anyone got any other suggestions?

thanks in advance

Comments

• CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Warm water, loads of salt in it...gargle round the affected area every couple of hours. It'll heal in no time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,173
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Warm water, loads of salt in it...gargle round the affected area every couple of hours. It'll heal in no time.

really? salt?
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus buy a new toothbrush.
  • MaybelleMaybelle Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try anbesol, I find it very good (not to be confused with 'anusol' ! ), it's in a tube.
    Forum Member
    Plus buy a new toothbrush.

i'll get one as soon as it's healed. i always get ulcers from new toothbrushes as well
    Forum Member
    Maybelle wrote: »
    Try anbesol, I find it very good (not to be confused with 'anusol' ! ), it's in a tube.

can i get that in boots?
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sib69 wrote: »
    really? salt?

Yep....works wonders for mouth ulcers, swollen tonsils, sore throats....just make sure you don't swallow it cos you'll vomit.
    Forum Member
    Yep....works wonders for mouth ulcers, swollen tonsils, sore throats....just make sure you don't swallow it cos you'll vomit.

ok then. i'll give it a go :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.anbesol.com/

Boots should have it, maybe even Superdrug - I always have it handy, but if you do get it remember to check leaflet inside first in case you can't use it alongside other painkillers (sorry not got a leaflet and can't remember!) It might be worth not having the other painkillers and trying the anbesol if that's the case as it's amazing stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Express chemist link

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/anbesol.html

Should have said it's much better than bonjela. Hope the salt gargling helps OP, ulcers are just awful :(.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybelle wrote: »

Easily done :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Easily done :D

You're so right! :o:o:D:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Depends on your pain threshold but you could dab some salt directly on the ulcer. It will sting like the devil but it will also start the healing more quickly.

I once knew a girl who took a day off sick with a mouth ulcer! (Mind you she thought meringues were healthy as they were low in fat!)
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member

No you wont vomit. You eat salt and if you go sea swimming swallow it
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A touch of bicarbonated powder always works for me, and I used to get mouth ulcers a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it an ulcer or a burn? You seem to say one and then the other. If it's a burn then the bonjela like stuff isn't really appropriate. A gargle with salty water, not too salty, is the best of the advice given.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    If it's really hurting, suck on an ice cube.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for salty water. Boil water, add salt, let it cool, then gargle.
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it actually is a mouth ulcer then raw salt straight on it works for me. It hurts like hell for a few seconds, then numbs.

The benefit of the salt is that it dehydrates the bacteria in the ulcer and kills them. As a result the ulcer heals quicker.

If you can cope with the sting, it may be with a try.

If it's simply pain you want to avoid visit your pharmacist and get a novocaine based gel product.

I'd certainly suggest that if it's huge and not healing that you consider a GP visit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »

That stuff looks good, I hadn't heard of it before.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »

Just what I was going to suggest.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Gengigel is best by a long way, but it's pricey.
    Forum Member
    thanks for all the help :)

i'm not sure if it is an ulcer or a burn. i know i burnt it, so it could be that, which is why ulcer-stuff isn't helping. but it looks and feels like an ulcer, so i just assumed it was there as a result of the burn

i'll shop around tomorrow and see which of the products suggested i can buy. even if they don't help the burn, chances are i'll get another ulcer soon and they can help with that anyways