huge mouth ulcer. pain relief advice please

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »
    If it actually is a mouth ulcer then raw salt straight on it works for me. It hurts like hell for a few seconds, then numbs.

The benefit of the salt is that it dehydrates the bacteria in the ulcer and kills them. As a result the ulcer heals quicker.
    Oh god no. There isn't any bacteria in an ulcer. This sounds horrible.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »

I agree, Iglu is so much better than Bonjela. You can get it from Boots, Tesco, Morrisons and most chemists.

Having said that it is better than anything else I have tried, but I have now had an ulcer on the side of my tongue for a year, and I have to go to have a biopsy done on it next month. I am dreading it.
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am exactly the same as you OP - I am prone to ulcers and get HUGE and extremlely painful ones regularly. Any slight burn or abrasion in my mouth turns into an ulcer.

Over the past 20 years I have tried every single thing suggested in this thread and many more including prescription stuff. Right now, I am fairly confident that the most effective treatment available is ORALMEDIC mouth ulcer treatment. It is very powerful one-time-only treatment (it contains sulphuric acid - it's very strong).

It stings like you won't believe (I thought I might faint once!), but after that it kills the pain completely (feels like some sort of miracle), either for good or at least for 24 hours.

Only use it if you are sure it's an ulcer though. If you think it might just be a burn, don't risk it.
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybelle wrote: »
    http://www.anbesol.com/

Boots should have it, maybe even Superdrug - I always have it handy, but if you do get it remember to check leaflet inside first in case you can't use it alongside other painkillers (sorry not got a leaflet and can't remember!) It might be worth not having the other painkillers and trying the anbesol if that's the case as it's amazing stuff.

I too can vouch for anbesol. Another very good product is "iglu", also available from Boots, Tesco etc. It's a sticky, antiseptic paste which forms a seal over an open mouth ulcer, and gives instant pain relief, lasting an hour or more. It's a bit tricky to get to stick on. I found it best if you wet your finger before squeezing a bit onto the tip, then applying to the ulcer, which should be dried first with a tissue or something (otherwise the iglu slides off) :D
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,867
    Forum Member
    Things like nurofen may help but if it doesn't go away, get yourself to your dentist, they'l probably give you amoxicilian (spelling?). Its what I was given twice after I got an abcess after having fillings put in!
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I too suffer from ulcers, but they seem not so regular since I stopped buying mints, chewing gum and using Alo vera toothpaste from Holland and Barrett.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an ulcer outbreak (6-7 at a time) each month, which is a hormonal thing. I've tried everything, and don't find the ulcer remedies really work or provide any long term relief..

What does work for me is taking an antihistamine. All work, but the best one for me is diphenhydramine, which is in Nytol.

The one a day non-drowsy ones are good too, but don't have have quite as dramatic an effect (but do last longer, so it depends what you would prefer).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,173
    Forum Member
    am trying the iglu gel. hopefully it'll work. thanks for all the advice :)
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too can vouch for anbesol. Another very good product is "iglu", also available from Boots, Tesco etc. It's a sticky, antiseptic paste which forms a seal over an open mouth ulcer, and gives instant pain relief, lasting an hour or more. It's a bit tricky to get to stick on. I found it best if you wet your finger before squeezing a bit onto the tip, then applying to the ulcer, which should be dried first with a tissue or something (otherwise the iglu slides off) :D

I've always found Anbesol and Bonjela pretty hopeless. Mainly I think because any relief is so incredibly temporary. Doesn't last for more than a few minutes at most. From reading this thread there's a couple I hadn't heard of before so may try them next time.