Options

Sachets of sugar, salt in restaurants.

mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it just us or is anyone else really fed up struggling with those little annoying sachets of sugar, salt, vinegar, sauce that you get in restaurants and hotels?

What happened to the days when you got a good old sugar bowl with sugar or cubes, a salt cellar and bottles of vinegar and sauce?

I can understand why they do that to little pots of marmalade and jam it can be messy leaving jars on tables.

I can never get the right amount of sugar and end up using six sachets of sugar were i would use two spoons at home.
You end up either using too little or too much.
By the time you have messed around with these little annoying things, your meal is going cold.
The sauce and vinegar sachets are the most frustrating, you can't get them open.

I know it's probably down to saving money but it just drives me and my OH mad. Anyone else out there like us?

Comments

• Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just us or is anyone else really fed up struggling with those little annoying sachets of sugar, salt, vinegar, sauce that you get in restaurants and hotels?

What happened to the days when you got a good old sugar bowl with sugar or cubes, a salt cellar and bottles of vinegar and sauce?

I can understand why they do that to little pots of marmalade and jam it can be messy leaving jars on tables.

I can never get the right amount of sugar and end up using six sachets of sugar were i would use two spoons at home.
    You end up either using too little or too much.
    By the time you have messed around with these little annoying things, your meal is going cold.
    The sauce and vinegar sachets are the most frustrating, you can't get them open.

I know it's probably down to saving money but it just drives me and my OH mad. Anyone else out there like us?

I don't have any problem with them and I don't understand how the bit in bold is even possible :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Mayonaise, tomato sauce, brown sauce and vinegar. Someone needs to come up with a better design.
    You need about six sachets to get a decent teaspoon full.
    It's rare to get those sachets open without getting most of the sauce all over your fingers as you do so..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    Mayonaise, tomato sauce, brown sauce and vinegar. Someone needs to come up with a better design.
    It's rare to get those sachets open without getting most of the sauce all over your fingers as you do so..

Heinz have

Much easier, less wasteful and messy and a reasonable volume of ketchup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »

Now this, I DO agree with. They're a nightmare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have any problem with them and I don't understand how the bit in bold is even possible :confused:

Every place you visit has different size sachets, you can never get a happy medium. If you read some of the other comments, others do feel the same as myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every place you visit has different size sachets, you can never get a happy medium. If you read some of the other comments, others do feel the same as myself.

About sauces, yes. But not sugar. Sugar is easy.

But I'm interested how your difficulty works. You open one sachet and pour it in your coffee and it's not sweet enough. Why do you need to pour in another five before you realise it's too sweet ?

Or is the six-sachet thing actually a gross exaggeration?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About sauces, yes. But not sugar. Sugar is easy.

I take two sugar in my tea at home. Some of the sachets are so small, you only get about a quarter of a spoon from each one.
    Sugar is not easy, it spills everywhere but in the cup, bits left in the packet spills everywhere, it's so annoying. It might be easy for you but we don't think it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The little straws of sugar I find annoying I must say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take two sugar in my tea at home. Some of the sachets are so small, you only get about a quarter of a spoon from each one.
    Sugar is not easy, it spills everywhere but in the cup, bits left in the packet spills everywhere, it's so annoying. It might be easy for you but we don't think it is.

Ok. Well then the simple answer to your OP, for me at least, is no, I don't have a problem.

And they are much more hygienic than sugar in a bowl. That folks might have sneezed and coughed all over.
  • Options
    rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everything the op says the sugar sachets are a pain in the bum
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. Well then the simple answer to your OP, for me at least, is no, I don't have a problem.

And they are much more hygienic than sugar in a bowl. That folks might have sneezed and coughed all over.

We went in an old fashioned tea rooms while away on holiday and they had a jar of sugar, the type you pour. That is a solution to the hygine part and would be a better idea that the sachets. That's just us though.
    You also have to understand, some places don't use standard cups like what you have at home. They have those awful cardboard tall ones.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member

I was going to be rude but i completely agree so now i don't have to be. Oh what the hell. I will be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went in an old fashioned tea rooms while away on holiday and they had a jar of sugar, the type you pour. That is a solution to the hygine part and would be a better idea that the sachets. That's just us though.
    You also have to understand, some places don't use standard cups like what you have at home. They have those awful cardboard tall ones.

Yes I do understand that. I go to coffee shops quite a lot. I still don't understand how anybody with average dexterity would have a problem with sugar sachets.

But hey - we're all different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    I was going to be rude but i completely agree so now i don't have to be. Oh what the hell. I will be.

I can't help but think there are many better opportunities to use that on here but I do love it all the same. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do understand that. I go to coffee shops quite a lot. I still don't understand how anybody with average dexterity would have a problem with sugar sachets.

But hey - we're all different.

Yes we are all different and we do have a problem with them especially with arthritic fingers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes we are all different and we do have a problem with them especially with arthritic fingers.

Ah well in that case I completely understand now. I can see how that would make things difficult.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My annoyance with the use of sachets of sauce is they never give you a plate to put them on once opened and so the residue around the opening smears onto the table. Fortunately, I can't think of many places I frequent that use sachets.

On the plus side, it's always worth grabbing a few from Wetherspoons ( no I don't eat there !) to use on picnics or a self catering break. :D
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the sugar in the cylindrical paper tubes is a good design; you rip it in half above your cup and the sugar pours into your cup from both halves. No issues with those.

The plastic sachets can be a bit of a faff, if they've not got a little nick in the seam. And a lot of the cheaper brands of vinegar/sauce are particularly bad for that; the nicking part of the process seems to be a bit hit and miss.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit of a kleptomaniac and have a handbag full of little sachets of sauces, salt and sugar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    In the interest of hygiene, I would much prefer to struggle with the sachets, than to use sugar (salt, pepper etcetera), from communal condiment apparatus:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    I think the sugar in the cylindrical paper tubes is a good design; you rip it in half above your cup and the sugar pours into your cup from both halves. No issues with those.

The plastic sachets can be a bit of a faff, if they've not got a little nick in the seam. And a lot of the cheaper brands of vinegar/sauce are particularly bad for that; the nicking part of the process seems to be a bit hit and miss.

I agree about the sugar in the cylindrical tubes, there seems to be a good amount in them rather that the smaller square ones.
    The vinegar and sauce are a nightmare. I remember a few years back, we were on a tour on a coach. We stopped for lunch and low and behold, hubby struggled with the sauce sachets, squeezed a little too hard and the contents flew up, covered his shirt, face and hair with sauce. He wasn't very happy and neither was I. He had to wear the same shirt all day as our cases were on the coach. We had no shops that we could buy a cheap shirt from. He managed to get most of the sauce off but he smelled of it all day.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a problem using them, but I'm always amazed at the ammount of waste. How often do you go to, say, BK and they just shove a load of ketchup sachets on your tray, that then end up straight in the bin....
  • Options
    TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every restaurant I go to(even Nandos) have normal salt and pepper condiment sets on tables!! I never deal with salt & pepper sachets!! I dont take sugar in either tea or coffee so I dont have that problem!! And I dont like vinegar, but when I want other sauces like Ketchup, brown sauce or other sauces I am always in places where they are nicely presented in little bowls with spoons where you can serve yourself(particularly in rural pubs).

You all must go to cheapo dives!!
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I love those tubes of milk - what a great idea. We bought some at cash and carry - useful if you ever run out of milk at home and good to take on holiday or trips away.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heinz have

Much easier, less wasteful and messy and a reasonable volume of ketchup.
    They had these in a service station I was in recently. I was dead impressed (it doesn't take much...:o )