Options

So so confused by Islam and the whole `peaceful religion` thing.

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK, firstly please forgive me for starting a thread on this subject, I have gone to the effort of trawling past thread but can't find the answer I'm looking for, as the subject intrigues me.
I'm hoping I will get the answer and the thread shall disappear into the abyss before turning into a trolls haven!

I want to know why a lot of people call Islam a `peaceful` religion, and that it does not incite `murder` etc etc and so on and so forth.
Yet I always hear contradicting stories, such as those whom shun Islam should be put to death.
And what about such things in the Islamic countries such as women and gay men being stoned to death under `islamic law`.

I'm struggling with the peaceful bit here!
Can someone please clear it up.
Because these barbaric acts of stoning etc are not simply committed by a minority of nutters, they are practiced under a LAW inspired by Islam.

Comments

• Options
    StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They like to pretend that it is a religion of peace but in reality it is a wolf in sheeps clothing that has got into the herd and means to slowly make a meal of it till only it exists on a pile of bones.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a brutal, murderous religion. I feel sorry for a lot of the people that are forced to participate in it.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, not at all like Christianity then which has preached "love thy neighbour" and forgiveness for centuries whilst inspiring crusades, witch burnings and homophobic attacks.

We can certainly feel superior, seeing as Christinaity has never been the cause for any sectarian violence. Isn't that right my little Orange friend?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Depends on how extreme the views are of any said person every religion has murder in it as punishment if you don't follow the rules
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Religion has a lot to answer for.

It is bizarre that so many people live their lives today based on books written many 100s of years ago when people knew no better.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Right, not at all like Christianity then which has preached "love thy neighbour" and forgiveness for centuries whilst inspiring crusades, witch burnings and homophobic attacks.

Even now in Uganda been Homosexual is punishable by death because that is what the Christian Bible says
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People live their lives based on books written not 10 years ago which go by the name of Harry Potter.

People will believe anything if it's in front of them..
  • Options
    jim4bbjim4bb Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it would be correct to single out any particular religion as supposedly being peaceful.

All religions are tarred with the same brush, promoting peace and harmony but then killing millions of people over the centuries.

Christians are probably one of the worst.

Religions are the route of all evil.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We can certainly feel superior, seeing as Christinaity has never been the cause for any sectarian violence.

Christianity is not any better in my opinion.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    It's down to interpretation.

Fundamentalists have one interpretation and normal people have another.

The same with Christianity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Christianity is not any better in my opinion.

It certainly has been in history. I'm not sure whether they are in the modern world.

The one that affects us today is certainly the one of this thread.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People live their lives based on books written not 10 years ago which go by the name of Harry Potter.

People will believe anything if it's in front of them..

Do you really believe that?

I know and have worked with many Muslims and all the ones i know what exactly the same as everyone else, to live a peaceful life and get on with their neighbours.

All religions have they extremists, we have seen plenty of examples of that in Northern Ireland in the last 40 years, but that doesn't mean to say those extremists' views represent the views of their entire religion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So to answer your question OP, a lot of people claim Islam is a "peaceful" religion because to a lot of people it is a peaceful religion.

However as with almost any belief system there will always be extremists be that belief system Islam, Chritianity, Communism, Capitalism, Animal Rights, Veganism, Survialist, support of a football team and so on and so on and so on.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Islam IS a peaceful religion, it's a beautiful religion if you look into it properly. Just because there's a pocket of nutcase terrorists who call themselves Muslim doesn't mean that everyone else who practices the religion is a potential terrorist

Perspective is needed, not all Christians are saints by any stretch of the imagination.

Religion? I hate it and I'm not in any camp but I can see further than an inch beyond the end of my nose.
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those Islamic states all misunderstand Islam.

Apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly has been in history. I'm not sure whether they are in the modern world.

We are affected by many religious views every day, for example the past couple of days has seen our government distracted by the Christian views on gays and marriage. That has certainly had an effect on us all because there were certainly other issues that could have benefitted from their time and attention.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    It's down to interpretation.

Fundamentalists have one interpretation and normal people have another.

The same with Christianity

Correct.

The problem with religion in general is that you're supposed to build up a moral code from several, often-contradictory stories from one source, written hundreds if not thousands of years ago.

"Correct" interpretation is therefore bordering on impossible.

Christianity appears to be less violent than Islam, because to a large extent its more extreme elements have been suppressed in the West for a very long time.

Give Christianity enough rope, however, and we'd be back to where the Muslims are now. A dark place.

It's not down to the religion per se but it is an inevitable result of the way religions tend to work.

Don't forget that in India, we have Hindus chopping Muslims up, Muslims chopping Sikhs up and Sikhs chopping Christians up. Religion + lack of enlightenment = trouble.
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ignorance of apologists who claim Islam is a religion of peace makes me angry. It's a horrific hate-filled ideology, inspired by a violent "holy" book, wrapped up as a medieval religion. News has just come in that British servicemen and women are no longer to be allowed to wear their uniforms outside of bases within the UK, due to the ongoing and growing Islamic threat. How much longer are we supposed to tolerate the intolerant and intolerable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are affected by many religious views every day, for example the past couple of days has seen our government distracted by the Christian views on gays and marriage. That has certainly had an effect on us all.

I realise that culture has developed alongside religious history, but this is about violence, and killing I believe.

Many Christian values are fine, as are other religious stances, but they are really just part of living properly anyway.

When people want to live, and kill, because of ancient books, then it really is madness, and so many people around the world are brought up with their views determined by these old books.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    Correct.

The problem with religion in general is that you're supposed to build up a moral code from several, often-contradictory stories from one source, written hundreds if not thousands of years ago.

Christianity appears to be less violent than Islam, because to a large extent its more extreme elements have been suppressed in the West for a very long time.

Give Christianity enough rope, however, and we'd be back to where the Muslims are now. A dark place.

It's not down to the religion per se but it is an inevitable result of the way religions tend to work.

Don't forget that in India, we have Hindus chopping Muslims up, Muslims chopping Sikhs up and Sikhs chopping Christians up. Religion + lack of enlightenment = trouble.

Actually I wouldn't blame religion at all, and I'm not religious. I would say the problem is the abuse of religion by those looking for political power.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Actually I wouldn't blame religion at all, and I'm not religious. I would say the problem is the abuse of religion by those looking for political power.

But the point is that those people seeking to gain power over others wouldn't be able to influence religious people, if it wasn't for the vagaries and mysticism (and above all, tribalism) that goes with the territory.

If you can persuade a believer that another person or movement is an affront to their beliefs, you have a very dangerous weapon at your disposal. That goes for any form of tribalism, not just religion, but religion is particularly powerful given the utter devotion of some folk to it.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    The ignorance of apologists who claim Islam is a religion of peace makes me angry. It's a horrific hate-filled ideology, inspired by a violent "holy" book, wrapped up as a medieval religion. News has just come in that British servicemen and women are no longer to be allowed to wear their uniforms outside of bases within the UK, due to the ongoing and growing Islamic threat. How much longer are we supposed to tolerate the intolerant and intolerable.

The ignorance of those who do not understand Islam and make ridiculous accusations makes me angry. Not all Muslims are terrorists, the same as not all Irish are members of the IRA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Islam IS a peaceful religion, it's a beautiful religion if you look into it properly. Just because there's a pocket of nutcase terrorists who call themselves Muslim doesn't mean that everyone else who practices the religion is a potential terrorist

Perspective is needed, not all Christians are saints by any stretch of the imagination.

Religion? I hate it and I'm not in any camp but I can see further than an inch beyond the end of my nose.

Please can you clarify the beauty and peacefulness as it seems unlike yourself i can only see the end of my nose or The Quran ive studied is different to your own.

Ive met and befriended many muslims in my time, but they make no secret of the fact that they think im going to burn in hell for etirnity and when jesus returns to earth they are going to join his army and slay all the unbelievers.

how can it be a peaceful religion if the ultimate day of judgement involves you all going wrong with swords and jesus killing people?
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    Correct.

Excellent post It can be argued that Islam is a violent religion but it can't be argued that it is uniquely violent. Take a look at the Old Testament for example. If that were followed to the letter, then the world would be an incredibly repressed place. Take a look at places like Uganda or closer to home, Franco's Spain, when acts of terror were carried out with church endorsement.

Islam is simply in a scenario where it can be exploited by extremists more so than Christianity. That is to do with the nature of Islamic states as well as their relationship with the west. We are not a peaceful nation due to Christianity, but due to reasoning, rationality and secular democracy.
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member

Really? You think Islam has more of a negative effect on Northern Ireland than Christainty?