Options

EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Also i'm hearing EE is starting to install 800 masts for the first time out with London.. Mainly the double speed cities. For example already seeing evidence in Edinburgh of 800 coming to Edinburgh shortly..

I've heard this as well.
  • Options
    lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This whole "double speed" thing just needs knocking on the head and let everyone access 4G equally :)
  • Options
    paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also i'm hearing EE is starting to install 800 masts for the first time out with London.. Mainly the double speed cities. For example already seeing evidence in Edinburgh of 800 coming to Edinburgh shortly..

Would be nice to see decent voice and data of any kind in my home postcode first. :D
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee18xx wrote: »
    This whole "double speed" thing just needs knocking on the head and let everyone access 4G equally :)

Wait until EE starts to charge extra for Cat 6 LTE (300Mbps).
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Great! All this bollocks talk of getting 800 into rural areas and they are going to stick them in double speed cities??????
    WTF????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Great! All this bollocks talk of getting 800 into rural areas and they are going to stick them in double speed cities??????
    WTF????

From what I've heard it'll be in both rural areas and cities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also i imagine its more for testing.

Ideally 800Mhz in rural areas would require VoLTE to be fully stable and working, if there's an issue in a city then CSFB should be able to be used while it beds in.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    lee18xx wrote: »

It was always going to be this way.. I stated it ages before they launch that it was going to follow the DT tarrifs. However if you wanted everyone getting full speed.. Are you willing for everyone's tarrifs going up and the overal speed received going down (due to more receiving full whack) ?

They are the only ones offering it (although in many cases the other 3 networks are not far off speed wise in some cases) so it was always going to be a premium
    Product. As will 300 etc.

I'm told there is 800 going into rural soon but I have not received any details of where or how widespread it will be, not that EE requires it at this stage. The 1800 GSM does an ok job coverage wise at the moment no?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was always going to be this way.. I stated it ages before they launch that it was going to follow the DT tarrifs. However if you wanted everyone getting full speed.. Are you willing for everyone's tarrifs going up and the overal speed received going down (due to more receiving full whack) ?

They are the only ones offering it (although in many cases the other 3 networks are not far off speed wise in some cases) so it was always going to be a premium

I wonder if Vodafone will price LTE-A at a premium once they start rolling it out properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I wonder if Vodafone will price LTE-A at a premium once they start rolling it out properly.

Well, in an ideal world there'd be competition and maybe O2 and Vodafone would decide to start a price war etc.

In reality, you know they'll all agree to charge more and not rock the boat.

Three, of course, might rock the boat - except I think it is beginning to grow up and think more like the big boys (or wants to).

To be fair, if you can offer speeds of up to 300Mbps, which is way beyond what most people can get in their home, you probably can easily justify charging a premium.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member

I'm told there is 800 going into rural soon but I have not received any details of where or how widespread it will be, not that EE requires it at this stage. The 1800 GSM does an ok job coverage wise at the moment no?

It does mostly but 800 would be lovely in some places down here.
    Can you answer this. They are running 1800 LTE at a lower power to ensure at least some sort of 2G to fall back to in a weak signal area.
    Ok I can sort of see this except that since both 2G and 4G are on the same frequency, surely they will both be identical in given location?
    What happens when they roll out 800 then? How does that work??
    Are they going to run 800 at 50% power so it doesn't go further then the 2G?
    Obviously they aren't as that would totally negate using 800 in the first place.
    Or... are they only going to roll out 800 with VoLTE and most 800 capable handsets can do VoLTE so it won't be a problem??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the benefits of 800MHz really need VoLTE as the whole idea is that it can offer a good service in rural areas. If 2G coverage isn't up to the job as fallback, it will have to be limited and then, what's the point?

But I assume that once VoLTE is set up, modifying the sites to up the power is pretty quick and easy? Thus, people will suddenly get a good 4G service even when they might have a poor, or no, 2G or 3G service.

Even in a city, 800MHz could mean 4G getting into basements and other areas where there's no signal so it will probably be restricted for a while and just used to add capacity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    800 & VoLTEEEE/WEEEFEEE go hand in hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need to remember that post VoLTE for 4G to be effective there must be the same/stronger 3G service in the areas, so when VoLTE is a (stable) reality then in theory 4G will mirror 2G in most areas and also have some 4G only areas (800)
  • Options
    daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need to remember that post VoLTE for 4G to be effective there must be the same/stronger 3G service in the areas, so when VoLTE is a (stable) reality then in theory 4G will mirror 2G in most areas and also have some 4G only areas (800)

Did you mean 2G there?

It does beg the question - when VoLTE is established and working satisfactorily across the country, what will be the point of carrying on with 3G? I can see that 2G will have to remain for a while as it is embedded in so many functions (smart meters etc) but once VoLTE is working, 3G will have been functionally superceded. How long I wonder, until 2100 spectrum gets reallocated to LTE?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good question. You could perhaps aim to do it over the next 5-10 years, giving plenty of time for people to upgrade their devices. It certainly wouldn't be quick, if the analogue switch off was anything to go by (TV, not mobile).

In any case, anyone with a 3G phone will be able to use 2G.

2G provides a perfectly adequate means of communication by voice and text, so 3G seems like the one to get rid of by refarming the spectrum to LTE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daveyfs wrote: »
    Did you mean 2G there?

It does beg the question - when VoLTE is established and working satisfactorily across the country, what will be the point of carrying on with 3G? I can see that 2G will have to remain for a while as it is embedded in so many functions (smart meters etc) but once VoLTE is working, 3G will have been functionally superceded. How long I wonder, until 2100 spectrum gets reallocated to LTE?

Nope, 3G

3G is the network required/used for CSFB with EE.

The only reason I can see 3G staying is for 3G handsets (requiring fast data)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Post VoLTE.. we don't need 2G nor 3G. (apart from those pesky old tech contracts <luckily not many with EE> and those using non VoLTE handsets)
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    But I assume that once VoLTE is set up, modifying the sites to up the power is pretty quick and easy? Thus, people will suddenly get a good 4G service even when they might have a poor, or no, 2G or 3G service.

Even in a city, 800MHz could mean 4G getting into basements and other areas where there's no signal so it will probably be restricted for a while and just used to add capacity.
    I'm already finding with 4G I have decent coverage in many places where there is no 2G and 3G reception. Presumably 4G has better error connection than 2G hence the better penetration even at lower power on the 1800MHz bands? The sooner VoLTE rolls out the better :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To correct myself, i meant pre :)

exciting times
  • Options
    dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Well, in an ideal world there'd be competition and maybe O2 and Vodafone would decide to start a price war etc.

In reality, you know they'll all agree to charge more and not rock the boat.
    Is that not price-fixing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that not price-fixing?

Of course. But it's very hard to prove, even when it's quite obvious (as in one company puts up charges, or introduces a fee for something previously free, and they all follow).

I'm not saying there are seedy meetings where everyone agrees to keep prices high, but more a case of networks realising that you don't do anything stupid in the name of competition.

Three, Virgin Mobile and others were once seen as the 'David' networks taking on Goliath, but as they've grown they've realised they're now more like Goliath.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE have big dreams they think 97% of there customers will have 4G devices by end of 2018 can't see that happening honestly. Even now smartphone penetration is only 80~85% and a lot of them include 3G devices can't see it jumping to 97% in 4 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    EE have big dreams they think 97% of there customers will have 4G devices by end of 2018 can't see that happening honestly. Even now smartphone penetration is only 80~85% and a lot of them include 3G devices can't see it jumping to 97% in 4 years.

Surely almost 100% of phones on EE is a 4G phone.

Or are they including Orange/T-Mobile customers in that figure?
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Surely almost 100% of phones on EE is a 4G phone.

Or are they including Orange/T-Mobile customers in that figure?

Entire customer basis so yeah it would include Orange/T-Mobile customers sorry should of made that clear.

Imagine by 2018 Jabba T-Mobile/Orange brands will have fully gone anyway,
This discussion has been closed.