Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 11)

Comments

• Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    Can I nominate that Richmond sausages advert where the Oirish boys go home to mammies for their sausages. And being Oirish of course they have to play drums and the tin whistle on the bus on the way home.

That was one of my worst ads too. One of the 'Mammy's Boys' looks a complete simpleton - I think he played the accordian! The mammy's voice over was annoying too. The way she said 'Richmond sausages' sounded as if her dentures were whistling.

Is that ad still on? I notice there is some nonsense with a bloke from Richmond sausages, dressed as a UN peacekeeper, going into a home where children are arguing about their food. He dons his protective clothing, cooks the sausages and then releases some white doves. Bizarre.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Why do people think twee acoustic covers are a good idea?
    Specifically the one with "You're The One that I Want" where the guy sings "You'd better shape up cause you need a man" :mad: I'm a man and I'm offended

No need to be offened on a woman's behalf. The actual lyric is John Travolta singing: "I'd better shape up 'cos you need a man".

The whole sentence when OIivia Newton John sings it to John Travolta is: "You'd better shape up, 'cos I need a man who will keep me satisified". What woman who wants a male partner would not agree with that? It's not only 'satisfying' the sexual needs but emotional and practical ones too.

As you have pointed out, it's bad enough that song has been mauled by some kind of fey, twee cover version without people misquoting the lyrics and misinterpreting the meaning.

There are lots of things for people to get their 'knickers in a knot' about. Somehow, I don't think this is one of them.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The best ever DFS Winter Sale"

Oh do shut the hell up DFS! >:( You said the same thing last year!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    The one where Ashton Kutcher is milking the goat then eating his breakfast. The sound is SO over amplified that you hear the disgusting sound of him squirting the goats milk into his bowl and then sloppily crunchin on milky cereal. The noise goes right through me and makes me feel sick!
  • Sadly All SeeinSadly All Seein Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made my point about all the charity adverts before, however today I have seen just how bad they have became this year.

Can't remember the charity (and if I did I wouldn't give them the free publicity) that had a voiceover that is basically the following:-

(Video of Starving African Child drinking dirty water #1)
    Voice Over:
    Today this child will have to drink this dirty water. He doesn't want to but he has no choice.
    (Video Fades to black with message saying 'Has no Choice'. Video then fades back in with Starving African Child drinking dirty water #2)
    Voice Over: Today this child will have to walk 5 miles just to drink this dirty water. He has no choice.
    (Video fades to black with message saying 'Has no Choice'. Video then fades back in with African mother feeding baby dirty water)
    Voice Over:
    This mother doesn't want to provide her infant with water that could cuse blindness or death but she has not choice.
    (Video now has African mother looking up and directly at the camera with pleading eyes)
    Voice Over:
    BUT YOU DO HAVE A CHOICE.

At this point I just turned over as I will not be blackmailed or guilted into donating via an advert (or as they call them 'an appeal').

Don't get me wrong I am not against charity. And I'm also not against charities advertising on TV, but I am against the current trend of the last 5 year or so of using emotional blackmail.
    Ten years ago a charity providing clean drinking water would have ran an advert that was simple, factual and honest with a voice over calmly stating who they are, why they want a donation to build drinking wells and then giving the number to call if you wished to make to a donation.

yep. If I remember later I'll go on YouTube and see if I can find one.
    That's how I like to be approached by a charity, wih facts and being upfront.
    No emotional blackmail so I feel like I actually DO have a choice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elena wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is a sexism issue at all really:
    I think there's a subtle change of emphasis by changing the gender references. Plus the slowing down of the song (which is originally an upbeat, cheery number).

Originally the lyrics are "you'd better shape up, 'cause I need a man" - ie she's the one acknowledging she wants a partner, in the context of the song it makes sense, it's a playful, flirty line basically saying 'get your act together, because I want you to be my boyfriend'. Hardly offensive, really.

The change of emphasis to 'you'd better shape up, 'cause you need a man', makes it accusatory all of a sudden and the meaning does change.. Now it can be read as "you need to make an 'effort' because you are obliged to have a boyfriend. And... Gasp! You don't at the moment. So 'shape up'." if it was "you'd better shape up, 'cause you need a girl" I think that would be as bad!

They mean the same thing.
    Both are telling the others to shape up and change to suit the person singing the lyrics.
    Both are accusatory but the one that women are quite happy to sing and defend is more selfish and spoilt because that person is acting like she's so perfect that she can make demands and doesn't need to change herself.
    The current outrage is nothing more than blatent hypocrisy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That recent womens anti leaking pad ad with that ridiculous song "ohh make my heart go uppsa daisy". God, imagine having these thoughts for a bloody piss and blood sanitary pad.

The sanitary, tena type pads and thrush adverts have always seemed odd to me.
    In the past it would show the woman meeting up with friends or her boyfriend (something frowned upon now) and the people she'd meet always had a look like 'glad you've got your thrush under control'
    I did wonder why that line of advertising want used for other hygiene or medical products.

Have a man with bad diarrhoea coming out of the toilet pausing to take his diarrhoea medication who the meets his girlfriend who has that same look on her face before taking his hand and giving him a kiss.
    plus being an advert and short for time I can imagine the advert would omit him washing his hands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one where Ashton Kutcher is milking the goat then eating his breakfast. The sound is SO over amplified that you hear the disgusting sound of him squirting the goats milk into his bowl and then sloppily crunchin on milky cereal. The noise goes right through me and makes me feel sick!

So I didn't imagine the final shot off him sitting next to a goat eating breakfast.
    I was flipping between channels and thought it was from a film
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    ALL the perfume ads - pretentious rubbish! Can't see how any of them would make people to want to buy them..... :confused:
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ads for the numerous bingo websites are universally awful, it must be intentional because there's no way they can all be that bad by accident.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Had a very lazy day and a true crime binge on Tru. They must have had the Madbid ad on every single break, I've now got a pathological hatred of whoever does the postman's voice and wish to hunt him down and punch him, a lot - I do realise this is neither normal or healthy :blush:
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Not a single ad but a trend that happens every Christmas. Now Christmas is almost here and that money grab is nearly done it's time for the stores to start advertising their Boxing Day sales, NEXT are open at 6am! Their greed knows no bounds.

What sad bar stools like to go shopping at 6am on Boxing Day? I'm too hungover to do that and then I get straight back on the pop in time for the leftover turkey.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mc Donalds advert with the rubbish poem and the line 'glass made from heat blasted sand'??!!!
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sad bar stools like to go shopping at 6am on Boxing Day? I'm too hungover to do that and then I get straight back on the pop in time for the leftover turkey.

You'd be surprised, I used to work in a shopping centre and trust me it's mind boggling the number of people who queue up in the early hours of Boxing Day to save a few quid on some stuff.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    How does buying the deafblindchild (thats how it sounds on the advert, like its one word) anyway, how does buying him a fan that blows on his face tell him that its Christmas?
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the summer holiday ads are annoying me. We're only a month into winter, for gods sake! Thankfully, the sticky, sweaty nights are a long way off yet.
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I particularly dislike that Famous Grouse Whisky Sponsorship thing which begins and ends ad breaks on the Drama channel. (The one with the beards)
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That shampoo ad with that annoying woman at the end saying "my hair used to be bleh but now it's like......HELLOOOO!?"
    Beyond irritating:(
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    ALL the perfume ads - pretentious rubbish! Can't see how any of them would make people to want to buy them..... :confused:

You mean you don't like the advert for Storm Flower by Cheryl then where she is writhering around whilst soaking willing you to plough her?

I can't stand the advert for tena pads discreet I don't think anyone in danger of pissing themselves is going to be dancing around in a state of sheer excitement.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made my point about all the charity adverts before, however today I have seen just how bad they have became this year.

Can't remember the charity (and if I did I wouldn't give them the free publicity) that had a voiceover that is basically the following:-

(Video of Starving African Child drinking dirty water #1)
    Voice Over:
    Today this child will have to drink this dirty water. He doesn't want to but he has no choice.
    (Video Fades to black with message saying 'Has no Choice'. Video then fades back in with Starving African Child drinking dirty water #2)
    Voice Over: Today this child will have to walk 5 miles just to drink this dirty water. He has no choice.
    (Video fades to black with message saying 'Has no Choice'. Video then fades back in with African mother feeding baby dirty water)
    Voice Over:
    This mother doesn't want to provide her infant with water that could cuse blindness or death but she has not choice.
    (Video now has African mother looking up and directly at the camera with pleading eyes)
    Voice Over:
    BUT YOU DO HAVE A CHOICE.

At this point I just turned over as I will not be blackmailed or guilted into donating via an advert (or as they call them 'an appeal').

Don't get me wrong I am not against charity. And I'm also not against charities advertising on TV, but I am against the current trend of the last 5 year or so of using emotional blackmail.

Ten years ago a charity providing clean drinking water would have ran an advert that was simple, factual and honest with a voice over calmly stating who they are, why they want a donation to build drinking wells and then giving the number to call if you wished to make to a donation.

This came on while we were watching a movie and our 4 year old said can't they boil it? Don't they have fire? Yes, why can't they boil it? It might not get rid of all impurities but surely it would help?
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that Christmas is done, that Salvation Army ad can bog off!
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit I have not been glued to the telly as much as the season requires but I had the misfortune to see that ad where you have got to be kidding me that's Bohemian Rhapsody and they've turned it into some godawful spoken dirge though I can't remember what it was for because I was trying to figure out what planet these people think they are on...

Ah, now I remember - Thomson holidays with the teddy bear and what's worse is they can actually justify having one with only one eye as it matches their logo but nobody else has that excuse except maybe Pudsey (the bear, not the dog) but enough is enough! Get a new one or have the decency to repair it, we are not talking brain surgery!
  • Ermintrude1Ermintrude1 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I admit I have not been glued to the telly as much as the season requires but I had the misfortune to see that ad where you have got to be kidding me that's Bohemian Rhapsody and they've turned it into some godawful spoken dirge though I can't remember what it was for because I was trying to figure out what planet these people think they are on...

Ah, now I remember - Thomson holidays with the teddy bear and what's worse is they can actually justify having one with only one eye as it matches their logo but nobody else has that excuse except maybe Pudsey (the bear, not the dog) but enough is enough! Get a new one or have the decency to repair it, we are not talking brain surgery!

I'd like to see Simon the Ogre come back again
  • Ermintrude1Ermintrude1 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    That ruddy DFS ad with the sofas on the Big Wheel set to the Sound of Music Overture!
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Mc Donalds advert with the rubbish poem and the line 'glass made from heat blasted sand'??!!!

Glass is made by melting together several minerals at very high temperatures. Silica in the form of sand is the main ingredient and this is combined with soda ash and limestone and melted in a furnace at temperatures of 1700°C. Other materials can be added to produce different colours or properties.
This discussion has been closed.