Open All Hours

Comments

• vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    It's really bizarre. Inexplicable even.

I suppose if Richard Beckinsale was still alive they'd have him playing Fletcher to some younger comedian's surrogate Godber.

It's just a totally stupid idea. It shows a woeful lack of imagination on the part of the writers that they (he?) couldn't come up with a new dynamic with Jason's character actually acting like an older version of himself rather than having adopted the persona of his deceased boss. It makes you think he needs to see a psychiatrist or at the very least a grief counselor.

i think you're completely missing the point. That Granville over a lifetime has become like Arkwright is the whole thrust of this new update. It's an age old narrative, like the ones about young liberals becoming old conservatives or how we turn into our parents as we age. Far more unbelievable would be of Granville had remained the wide eyed dreamer of his youth now that he's 60 something.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think you're completely missing the point. That Granville over a lifetime has become like Arkwright is the whole thrust of this new update. It's an age old narrative, like the ones about young liberals becoming old conservatives or how we turn into our parents as we age. Far more unbelievable would be of Granville had remained the wide eyed dreamer of his youth now that he's 60 something.

Yeah, but he's not an older, wiser and more conservative Granville. He's Arkwright.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

I agree as I said earlier Granville must have lived with Arkwright for about 50-60 years so over that time he just became like him and the Arkwright way of running a shop is the only way he knows.

Plus getting your uncle to spend his money is one thing but when that money is coming out of your own pocket it's a different matter.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree as I said earlier Granville must have lived with Arkwright for about 50-60 years so over that time he just became like him and the Arkwright way of running a shop is the only way he knows.

My Nana lived with my Grandad for 53 and they still both had distinct personalities from each other. They didn't gradually morph into Nandad. ;-)

Some fair points though. I won't be tuning in next week, but its harmless enough all told. Kinda glad it exists in a way.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We watched about 10 minutes of it then turned over, painfully unfunny. Granville looks older than Nurse Gladys now, in fact he looks older than Arkwright did when he was lusting over Nurse Gladys!
  • Maq_QamMaq_Qam Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    We watched about 10 minutes of it then turned over, painfully unfunny. Granville looks older than Nurse Gladys now, in fact he looks older than Arkwright did when he was lusting over Nurse Gladys!

Well, he is. As Ronnie Barker was 44 when he first played the part in the Seven Of One pilot of 1973, and 56 when the series ended in 1985. David Jason is 74 now.

For all the way it made their characters different generations, the two actors' dates of birth were only eleven years separate.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liked fool & horses but DJ looks older than 74, his young wife dosent appear to have kept him young. The ladder bit was ridiculous.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    The laughter track goes into overdrive every time Granville slips into the Arkwright stutter or activates the till. I mean really ?
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose if Richard Beckinsale was still alive they'd have him playing Fletcher to some younger comedian's surrogate Godber.

It's just a totally stupid idea. It shows a woeful lack of imagination on the part of the writers that they (he?) couldn't come up with a new dynamic with Jason's character actually acting like an older version of himself rather than having adopted the persona of his deceased boss. It makes you think he needs to see a psychiatrist or at the very least a grief counselor.

Great post.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Roy Clarke is the undisputed King of Flogging A Dead Horse. He remorselessly carried on with Last Of The Summer Wine even though half his cast actually died, adding new characters with gay abandon and no consideration at all for structure or logic. He even managed to blag First Of The Summer Wine, which was just exactly the same stories set forty years earlier. Keeping Up Appearnces went on for years despite having a premise that burned out in very first episode, and as evidenced here he has simply re-hashed old OAH scripts using David Jason as the lead rather than Ronnie Barker.

If something is billed as a 'gentle' comedy, Roy Clarke will have written it. And he will never, ever stop...:o
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would any shop, however small, still be using the same knackered old till in this day and age? It's like credit cards were never invented.

I know the temperamental till is one the long running gags on the show but this just shows the lazy, stuck in a time warp mentality of Still Open All Hours.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Roy Clarke is the undisputed King of Flogging A Dead Horse. He remorselessly carried on with Last Of The Summer Wine even though half his cast actually died, adding new characters with gay abandon and no consideration at all for structure or logic. He even managed to blag First Of The Summer Wine, which was just exactly the same stories set forty years earlier. Keeping Up Appearances went on for years despite having a premise that burned out in very first episode, and as evidenced here he has simply re-hashed old OAH scripts using David Jason as the lead rather than Ronnie Barker.

If something is billed as a 'gentle' comedy, Roy Clarke will have written it. And he will never, ever stop...:o

My thoughts exactly. He only stopped writing 'Keeping Up Appearances' when Patricia Routledge no longer wanted to do it. Given his track record, it's a wonder he didn't try to replace her with a lost 'twin' or some such nonsense.

I've just caught up with SOAH on i-player. Granville was up a ladder outside the house of the woman who used to deliver the milk in the 1970s. He tapped on the outside of her bedroom window made some references to money and then to her breasts. Sound familiar? Arkwright did exactly the same thing with Gladys Emmanuel in the 70s/80s. It was a tired and outdated joke then.

This 'Still Open All Hours' is definitely not to my taste. However, I understand that younger people who have not seen the original with Arkwright now see Granville as the Arkwright character. For me, the big sticking point is that Granville has now morphed into Arkwright. It's as if Roy Clarke has scrubbed out 'Barker' and written 'Jason' in the script.

I feel it would have been much better to have kept Granville as himself and made his son into the tight, Apprentice-like businessman. I suppose role reversal such as Saffy and Edina in Ab Fab would have had greater comic potential, especially as older viewers know Granville's character and he now, unbelievably, seems to be channeling the ghost of Arkwright.

Personally, I think this is real lazy writing and Roy Clarke just won't stop flogging a dead horse as long as lazy executives at the BBC commission such dire nonsense. I don't know what the audience were looking at to produce such laughter but it didn't match what was showing on screen at all.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Roy Clarke is the undisputed King of Flogging A Dead Horse. He remorselessly carried on with Last Of The Summer Wine even though half his cast actually died, adding new characters with gay abandon and no consideration at all for structure or logic. He even managed to blag First Of The Summer Wine, which was just exactly the same stories set forty years earlier. Keeping Up Appearnces went on for years despite having a premise that burned out in very first episode, and as evidenced here he has simply re-hashed old OAH scripts using David Jason as the lead rather than Ronnie Barker.

I agree. This is why OAH was his best sitcom. It only ran for four series, and they were fairly spaced apart. Barker himself was a great exponent of 'leave them wanting more' he would, I am sure, be horrified at what they have done. No matter what people say about nostalgia, which I think is a stupid reason to watch a new show anyway, it does seem like a lazy way of putting Jason in something that will have nostalgia as a bait to draw veiwers in. It seems to have worked too. Shame Jason has little of Barkers professional integrity, he must know that this is just awful, but the money talks I guess.:(
  • WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member

I've just caught up with SOAH on i-player. Granville was up a ladder outside the house of the woman who used to deliver the milk in the 1970s. He tapped on the outside of her bedroom window made some references to money and then to her breasts. Sound familiar? Arkwright did exactly the same thing with Gladys Emmanuel in the 70s/80s. It was a tired and outdated joke then.

Nah - Mavis was not the milk woman - Mavis was the indecisive one. The milk woman was played by Barbara Flynn.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be tired and old but still manages to be funnier than most new productions on TV now - certainly funnier than anything on ITV or CH4 (not that they try much comedy).
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Wmsheep wrote: »
    Nah - Mavis was not the milk woman - Mavis was the indecisive one. The milk woman was played by Barbara Flynn.

Ah right. I thought I recognised her face from the original but I haven't seen that for about 30 years. Was she in it too? My point still stands though. I didn't think the 'ladder' scenario was funny first-time round.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. This is why OAH was his best sitcom. It only ran for four series, and they were fairly spaced apart. Barker himself was a great exponent of 'leave them wanting more'... Shame Jason has little of Barkers professional integrity, he must know that this is just awful, but the money talks I guess.:(

Jason's professional judgement has been off for years. The return of OFAH, The Royal Bodyguard, and now this. I suppose he's just trying to make some money before retiring, but imho he is tainting his own, almost flawless previous work.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would any shop, however small, still be using the same knackered old till in this day and age? It's like credit cards were never invented.

I know the temperamental till is one the long running gags on the show but this just shows the lazy, stuck in a time warp mentality of Still Open All Hours.

Do corner shops like that still exist, except for Asian ones? would they still deliver? do people still shop at them except for small bits they have forgotten.?
    Forum Member

Why not I have been in a few shops this year which do not have a credit card machine and it says Cash Only on a sign about the counter
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Do corner shops like that still exist, except for Asian ones? would they still deliver? do people still shop at them except for small bits they have forgotten.?

I would imagine that if a shop had pretty much had the same ownership for so long, and if many of the customers had stayed loyal, then the service would still be there if financially viable... especially as the catchment area would be very limited anyway. It's not like someone is going to visit from miles out.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why do you exclude Asian corner-shops? Don`t they count? Hmmm....?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Liked fool & horses but DJ looks older than 74, his young wife dosent appear to have kept him young. The ladder bit was ridiculous.

When he was up the ladder talking to Mavis, and having to keep quiet because of her sister, i immediately thought of when Arkwright was up it to Nurse Gladys, and having to keep quiet because of her mother, and when Johnny Vegas was bent over after doing his back, i immediately thought of Arkwright again, when he was like that when he was out with Nurse Gladys, he'd either bust his zip, or he had a tight money belt on, i can't really remember, as was that long ago.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Why do you exclude Asian corner-shops? Don`t they count? Hmmm....?

The query was, do "white "corner shops like that still exist, as they are now mainly Asian. Stop seeing racism where it doesn't exist and get back to reading your Guardian.
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    I would imagine that if a shop had pretty much had the same ownership for so long.

I think it was hinted at in one of the originals that Arkwright's Dad owned the shop before him

On that the pic of his Dad was really him Ronnie Barker's Dad really did own a shop
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The query was, do "white "corner shops like that still exist, as they are now mainly Asian. Stop seeing racism where it doesn't exist and get back to reading your Guardian.

:D You really cleared the waters there, are you Dave Whelan in disguise? :D