BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Who was it?

No-one sadly. DA mentioned having problems getting people coming on at that time of night - even if they had earlier said they would. There was an interview with Petula Clark this morning.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    The wonderful Julia Hartley-Brewer has just in a surprise move left LBC ...looks like they will be with shelagh Fogerty as cast off ..expect she's been eyeing up that slot since she got there but she couldn't regularly appear on 5 so she will struggle to fill her slot.....

Only bonus for me is might see more of the goddess Julia on TV again otherwise it's disappointing she was a no BS presenter really entertaining and held her ground in arguments... an intelligent educated attractive woman with a luscious voice going to miss her and just hope maybe 5live will snap her up....
    Think she'll be too right wing in her stance for the beeb though... ^_^

You were right re Fogarty

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/12/shelagh-fogarty-to-host-lbcs-afternoon-show/?utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&utm_content=24+hours+with+Wise+Buddah+Jingles&utm_campaign=20141221_m123674123_24+hours+UK&utm_term=Shelagh+Fogarty+to+host+LBC_E2_80_99s+afternoon+show
  • Billy_BoyBilly_Boy Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Just listening to the terrible accident in Glasgow. I know it's a national story, but why do the BBC keep interviewing people who can add nothing to the story..... "I didn't see it myself" or "someone told me", or "I spoke to someone" etc. Just please report the fact and don't let people who do not know the facts get onto the airways.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy_Boy wrote: »
    Just listening to the terrible accident in Glasgow. I know it's a national story, but why do the BBC keep interviewing people who can add nothing to the story..... "I didn't see it myself" or "someone told me", or "I spoke to someone" etc. Just please report the fact and don't let people who do not know the facts get onto the airways.

Well to be fair to 5live, and the rest of the stations (TV and Radio) covering it - there weren't many FACTS as you say to report. People tune in and out of the radio and TV regularly at Drivetime so I think they would be interested to hear about what people witnessed on the ground. Most stations did re-report The FACTS frequently as well.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh thanks SBK.... jeeez....awful news...awful presenter .. :( .knew that's what she was angling for..but hoped wasn't proved right.... but as she couldn't maintain her daily show on 5 she won't last there long...
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    What was that awful woman on about this morning, she wanted sports biographies about women. Well there are plenty, perhaps the reason they're not in the shops is no one wants to read them?

Nicola Adams, really? The BBC are obsessed about her, I like many find boxing, male or female lame and I certainly wouldn't want to read about it.

Far too many people bring out books that are ghost written and whilst they're still half way through their careers.

I just wonder if a male presenter had insisted he wanted a book about a male sports star what the reaction would have been?
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Adrian Chiles is ideally suited for the morning misery show. He's naturally even more miserable than VD was. It was an excruciating program this morning. I had to switch off.
  • JARVJARV Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes full if Christmas cheer wasn't it
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma Barnett is awful. Too posh, boring and irrelevant.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brett and Walker are like an amateur local radio version of the One Show. Listening to them trying to ask decent questions of their interviewees is cringeworthy at times.

Burden has one of the worst voices for radio ever. How she managed to get a job as a radio presenter is beyond me. Surely one of the requirements should be a clear voice? I often like to listen to my radio quietly in the mornings but when Rachel's speaking I have to concentrate to hear what she's saying, unlike every other radio presenter I can think of.

I used to listen to Five Live quite a lot in the past, but with the hoarse Burden, the smarmy know-it-all egoist Campbell, and the terrible Brett and Walker, there's not much left to enjoy. Peter Allen's still good, as are Mayo and Kermode on Fridays, but that's about it for me.
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ego's bagman presented Sport on Five last night. He is so much better when not fawning over the Ego
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Yes, George Riley does a good job at presenting the sport. He was really good on Five Live Sport when he did the Saturday afternoon.

I think it is fair to say that both George, Rachel, Claire all sound twice as good than when they are fawning to The Ego.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Brett/Walker chemistry is zero. I much preferred Bacon doing afternoons.

That said, this year has seen the end of Derbyshire and Fogherty's execrable offerings. Good riddance.
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I did enjoy the George and Clare show today. Breakfast is so much better than without The Ego.

In fact, Clare has been a breath of fresh air all week.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiotuner wrote: »
    I did enjoy the George and Clare show today. Breakfast is so much better than without The Ego.

In fact, Clare has been a breath of fresh air all week.

Does the Ego have any avid listeners?
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole country is NOT coming to a standstill because of snowfall you idiots on Radio 5 Live who are whining on at the moment, that Irish unlistenable fool and sidekick guest Edwina Currie with their faux outrage and trying to drum up a sense of chaos with ignorant comments about "it's a disgrace" etc all because of a few wet snowflakes and people that seem incapable of knowing how to drive in slightly tricky conditions.

Grow up you fools. >:(

The temperature in large parts of the UK is currently at 1am well above freezing and only raining. North Bucks is 7c. Just a limited area in the Derbyshire and surrounding counties general area is affected with the temperature hovering near to 0c.

I see they have also junked Up All Night because it is Christmas. Clearly news stories and events worldwide stop because of the date in the calendar. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Brett/Walker chemistry is zero. I much preferred Bacon doing afternoons.

That said, this year has seen the end of Derbyshire and Fogherty's execrable offerings. Good riddance.

Not directly 5live but as I dislike Fogerty anyway and now even more so as she's manoeuvred herself into LBC to oust the goddess Julia H-Brewer grrrr.... :( but her advert there announcing herself is laughable.. .
    It seems different rules apply to radio to other jobs....usually you have to put on forms how many days off your previous one when you join a new one....did global not look at her show' s attendance? :confused:
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    The whole country is NOT coming to a standstill because of snowfall you idiots on Radio 5 Live who are whining on at the moment, that Irish unlistenable fool and sidekick guest Edwina Currie with their faux outrage.......

Stephen ( I'm not comfortable with you saying that and they are not here to defend themselves ) Nolan and his friend Edwina Currie, doing her a good turn by getting her back on 5live ? Good god what is happening to radio ?

The whole unoriginal and uninspiring broadcasting business seems to be turning more and more into just an old pals act .

There hasn't been a time when I listen to radio or watch tv less than I do now.

Fogarty on LBC ? I don't think she is even suited to that type of talk radio.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    The whole country is NOT coming to a standstill because of snowfall you idiots on Radio 5 Live who are whining on at the moment, that Irish unlistenable fool and sidekick guest Edwina Currie with their faux outrage and trying to drum up a sense of chaos with ignorant comments about "it's a disgrace" etc all because of a few wet snowflakes and people that seem incapable of knowing how to drive in slightly tricky conditions.

Grow up you fools. >:(

The temperature in large parts of the UK is currently at 1am well above freezing and only raining. North Bucks is 7c. Just a limited area in the Derbyshire and surrounding counties general area is affected with the temperature hovering near to 0c.

I see they have also junked Up All Night because it is Christmas. Clearly news stories and events worldwide stop because of the date in the calendar. :(
    Cheer up! Things return to normal tonight on UAN with Dotun Adebayo.. I know you won't want to miss a moment of it. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen ( I'm not comfortable with you saying that and they are not here to defend themselves ) Nolan and his friend Edwina Currie, doing her a good turn by getting her back on 5live ? Good god what is happening to radio ?

The whole unoriginal and uninspiring broadcasting business seems to be turning more and more into just an old pals act .

There hasn't been a time when I listen to radio or watch tv less than I do now.

Fogarty on LBC ? I don't think she is even suited to that type of talk radio.

Oh yes....I'm afraid so....she barely managed a 5 day week at 5live and she is quite woeful ...quite how she will cope with some of LBC' s more right of centre callers and discussions might well be entertaining in itself :p
    My only bonus is might get to see more of Julia on TV now as she has more free time rather than just listen to her luscious voice on radio....
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they let people Skype in their contributions ? It sounds horrible, and when it's the patronising, supercilious and obnoxious Bonnie Greer, it's switch off immediately
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Cheer up! Things return to normal tonight on UAN with Dotun Adebayo.. I know you won't want to miss a moment of it. :D

Oh dear God, this was the one night of the week and festive period that I could gladly have had seasonal recorded overnight filler. :(

There's that Radio 4 adage for our nuclear subs at sea that if the Today programme is still broadcasting after a nuclear attack then some semblance of society is still functioning on the mainland and we have not all been wiped out. I think this now needs updating to tuning into Radio 5 Live and listening out for Adebayo and his never ending blabathon that is every weekends Virtual Jukebox. ;-)

I think it was in about Christmas 2001 when my old form tutor turned up as a fill in guest presenter on UAN much to my amusement. He did 2 nights over Christmas. I was mightily pleased he never ended up with a regular overnight gig I can tell you.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Anyone else been having a problem listening to this station live online?

Fine on my Windows laptop but does not work on my Windows mobile nor my Android tablet. Other BBC radio stations play fine live and R5 catchup works, it is just the R5 live feed that does not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »

Fine on my Windows laptop but does not work on my Windows mobile nor my Android tablet. Other BBC radio stations play fine live and R5 catchup works, it is just the R5 live feed that does not.

Haven't tried it gomezz...Will try later if I can and check
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Now working which may be a result of someone giving it a kick after seeing my fault report.
This discussion has been closed.