Storage Hunters UK

talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My Goodness , I want to shoot myself. WHy can't they just keep this off the TV and over on the USA. This has to be Fictional Comedy.

One flaw, I seem to remember researching the whole storage locker thing and found it can not happen in the UK due to the laws we have, so obviously this show is a complete and utter fabrication, which should be enough to persuade the doubters who think the USA version is real.

Comments

• shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol. The usa version is trash at best but decent channel hopping material. UK version is cringe worthy though
  • Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK version is awful, we're British we don't high five each other, it just looks weird!
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I saw this last week and have the same issue that i do with most american shows with an english twist.

Why on earth do most of them sounds so bloody english! Not regular english accents, but the queens posh accent!

If that was in any way real, theyd all be a bit rough round the edges, with local accents. No way on earth you would get as many rich upper class types turn up to a local storage auction!
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boom!
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's even a little disclaimer at the beginning which says something about some situations being done for entertainment purposes. :D

The first clue to it being fake is when they open a unit up and everyone shouts whoaaa and yeahhhh, like British people all do....never.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    The first clue to it being fake is when they open a unit up and everyone shouts whoaaa and yeahhhh, like British people all do....never.
    Neil Kinnock did it once, and look what happened to his career.

Watched 1/2 of the first programme and walked away. Some insults just aren't worth the time.
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave the Boom is actuall called Colin Newell who is an actor, maybe this apperance on Storage hunters UK will help his career or hinder it? http://www.castingcallpro.com/uk/view.php?uid=515914

Another clue for the people who think this is real, that it is really fictional.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    My Goodness , I want to shoot myself. WHy can't they just keep this off the TV and over on the USA. This has to be Fictional Comedy.

One flaw, I seem to remember researching the whole storage locker thing and found it can not happen in the UK due to the laws we have, so obviously this show is a complete and utter fabrication, which should be enough to persuade the doubters who think the USA version is real.

It does happen, why do you think its illegal?
    http://www.wolves-selfstorage.co.uk/storage-hunters-and-storage-auctions-west-midlands/

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/do-storage-unit-auctions-exist-within-the-uk/21863873

http://www.space-station.co.uk/storage-auctions/
  • Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still the show is clearly set up as british storage firms sell the units via single blind bids via email or telephone and at the announced end time & date the person who submitted the highest bid is awarded the unit and are given 24-48 hours to get to the storage house and empty out the unit.

So in effect Britain is less 'Storage Auction' and more 'Storage Highest-Tender'.

Also remember that most of UK storage firms don't even advertise units that have gone into default. Usually they have a list of people who are interested in buying units and the firm will send out an email. If no one on the mailing list wants the unit then most firms will then offer the content via a local auction house (in this circumstance the auction house charge a higher commission fee to the storage firm), anything that is not sold is then binned.
  • man_plebsman_plebs Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    uum, saw it for the last time night and I was so disappointed,.

The units were mostly empty, completely staged with cloths draped over anything interesting, in a way that was much more fake than the US version.

The characters were so dull, with only one guy vaguely interesting.

Initially I disliked that orange woman, until I realised she was trying to act a part, though not very well.

The whole thing was absolutely terrible, the quality of goods shocking. Poor old Sean was trying to keep it going, I bet he goes back to his hotel room a broken man.

US people are better on TV, the British are just too reserved.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    The US has programmes such as Storage Hunters and Baggage Battles. We have the likes of Bargain Hunt, Flog it! and Car Booty - none of which are 'character led'. That is the difference and why this programme has not really worked over here as we don't have that kind of set up for selling the contents of storage units.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :blush: I have a thing for Linda.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The UK version is so crap that I don't even tune in now.

The Essex bloke 'all day long' and Fatty Boom Boom are ultra annoying.

Can't be bothered with them.
  • robbrarobbra Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK version is so crap that I don't even tune in now.

The Essex bloke 'all day long' and Fatty Boom Boom are ultra annoying.

Can't be bothered with them.

I can't argue with this, Boom Boom is a class prat and a very poor actor, not a dealer. (Trying to be a Papa Bear...Big dog!!!) Irritating in the extreme.
    Jack the Lad from Essex believes he is cleverer than he is. Needs a reality check.
    I watched one episode and that was enough.
    As for Linda, Very nice ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    1) The skirmishes never end up with real punches / black eyes 2) Why is there always a strategically placed tarp hiding the intriguing piece of trash or treasure? 3) Not really sure why they should ever find units with valuable items like vintage cars or antiques. Surely, if the person defaults on a storage unit, they are only £1500-£2200 / year, just sell your £10k-20k item to clear the storage debt and have money to spare. Even if the renter died, the proceeds would be sold by the estate in the same way, not in a blind auction for peanuts 4) Linda must be fed some of those lines of thickdom eg "atomic fuels such as geranium!" 5) Even the law of sod suggests that one day, the same person would win every bid, yet it’s always shared out amongst regulars 6) Almost every time there is a partnership, they win the bid 7) The Americans came over, like they would in real life, expect to ship all contents home and make money 8) What are the stooges / extras doing? They typically bid the opening or low number, then shut up 9) Even Dragon’s Den has a show to let us know what happens with the successful entrepreneurs, not a chance of seeing this lot flogging their won items in their “normal” trading lives 10) Chubby D – I rest my case!
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    The whole thing is a set-up, both the UK and US versions.

Makes me laugh how every storage unit has a brand new padlock on it which they ceremoniously cut off with bolt-cutters! Just ask yourself, when was the last time you saw a rusty one? Also, all the locks are just one or two different types. If people were bringing in their own locks there would be a multitude of different types. They must have the keys for all these locks but opening them with a key wouldn't look quite so spectacular.

If you want a bit of fun switch the subtitles on and watch while Sean is speaking!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Its pure trash, but its addictive, enjoyable trash. Course its not real, but the fun is in the 'characters' like Linda, John and Nat, Scotty etc. The only one who really gets on my tits is Ione. Scary lady and does that ridiculous thing of talking like she's a black woman from the ghettos of America as opposed to what she really is, a black woman from London.

Oh and tubby Boudicca who claims she's posh and intelligent yet remarked the ancient computers in one unit were like something from Bletchingly Park' She's that kind of middle aged, spacey lonely heart you'll find talking horoscopes and downing a bottle of wine by herself down any pub most nights
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mark_spark wrote: »
    Its pure trash, but its addictive, enjoyable trash. Course its not real, but the fun is in the 'characters' like Linda, John and Nat, Scotty etc. The only one who really gets on my tits is Ione. Scary lady and does that ridiculous thing of talking like she's a black woman from the ghettos of America as opposed to what she really is, a black woman from London.

Oh and tubby Boudicca who claims she's posh and intelligent yet remarked the ancient computers in one unit were like something from Bletchingly Park' She's that kind of middle aged, spacey lonely heart you'll find talking horoscopes and downing a bottle of wine by herself down any pub most nights

Worse than that apparently:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tv-star-sentenced-stalking-market-9485726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mistake:
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the UK version but the American one is so dire that I don't know how it's possible for anything to be worse. What really drags it into the pits are those ridiculous auctioneers, who spout made up gibberish which I'm sure nobody can possibly understand.

Programmes like these really are the lowest of the low, being beaten only by the imbeciles in American Digger.
  • Twin_TwoTwin_Two Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I haven't seen the UK version but the American one is so dire that I don't know how it's possible for anything to be worse. What really drags it into the pits are those ridiculous auctioneers, who spout made up gibberish which I'm sure nobody can possibly understand.

Programmes like these really are the lowest of the low, being beaten only by the imbeciles in American Digger.

It really is television for morons, even the clips make me wince.
  • andydylanandydylan Posts: 53
    Forum Member

What laws?
    http://www.storageauctionsuk.co.uk/
    Lots of others online. I wasnt aware it wasnt allowed?

Just noticed i have answered a 2 year old thread
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,841
    Forum Member
    The only BOOOOMM! I want to hear from knobhead, is the one made when he steps on a landmine...
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch the US version, despite realising it was scripted, but have not seen it in ages. I saw 5 minutes of the UK offering, and switched it off.
    If it was a genuine depiction, of self employed people, whose career is buying these units, it would be more interesting.
    The viewing figures may not be as high.
    The Americans can do this type of fake programme well. If we try to do it, we just look silly.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member

That woman pisses me off no end the one with the black hair with a quiff at the top like elvis used to have.

The show seems unrealistic that they find treasures in every bin.

Plus what is it with those security guards stopping people from arguing. Just let them fight.